Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Iron Volume Control

Posted by tmanly 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Iron Volume Control
February 02, 2013 12:48AM
Like Keith Southern, I found the Iron volume control on the UK units a plus. I like knowing what is in the ground, without audio masking. Often a loud iron grunt will over shadow a quick high tone. the ability to lower the iron grunts to a level so you know it is there but still have a stable and easy to hear high tone is a plus. Now this brings me to a question. Why is it not possible to have independent volume controls on 3 and 4 tone machines? To be able to lower the volume on the iron and pulltab range and allow the top two tones to remain loud would be a great way to discriminate out targets without using the filters which seem to slow the machines down and loose depth. Or maybe an audio boost that can be set for specific tones.

I have a Vista unit on the way and should receive it next week. The warmer weather and Keith's videos have me dreaming of the old home sites, deep woods and relics unknown.....lol
but to be fair, I also have a Minelab unit ordered also......

As a note: My take on the Vista units are.... These are not Coin shooters. But with practice you should be able to pull coins based on the audio characteristics. But be prepared to dig a lot of aluminum, pulltabs
screwcaps and such. If you do, you should be surprised as you start to finds those gold items that are hidden within the same range. But, the ratio is like 1000:1.......

Tom in SC
Re: Iron Volume Control
February 02, 2013 01:20AM
This is why I'm trying to get a lower volume on my CZ6a. It doesn't have to be variable as long as I can cut the volume down on the iron tone to 50% or so. Variable would be nice, but would require putting another pot somewhere. But the main part is just getting a mod that will work to begin with. I guess if it were variable, I could turn it back up for areas that might have real deep good targets that the CZ6a can't identify and only give an iron tone.
February 02, 2013 01:24AM
if you take the time with a cheap pair of head phones you can hear the differences of pull tabs the aluminum is a sharp sounding signal and has a pop sound before and after the swing but on some stuff you will have to work for targets if your in a school or totlot envirement
February 02, 2013 11:16AM
Quote:"Why is it not possible to have independent volume controls on 3 and 4 tone machines? To be able to lower the volume on the iron and pulltab range and allow the top two tones to remain loud would be a great way to discriminate out targets"
Wouldn't you just want tone-break audio? Disc'ed out metals give an adjustable iron-tone, non-disc'ed give the appropriate tone ID? This is what I wish the Fisher F75 could do - tone-break disc.