Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Can anyone provide some insight into this peculiar object that i found today??

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Can anyone provide some insight into this peculiar object that i found today??
February 04, 2013 01:24AM
I took my Fisher F5 w/ 11 inch DD coil out for a spin today. There was a yard that I was really wanting to hunt so I just walked up, knocked, exchanged pleasantries, and asked if I could metal detect their yard, as log as I leave it like I found it. (Which I did) On my first pass, I found a 1901 Indian Head that has more detail than my cheap Nikon Wal Mart camera gives it credit for. Within 5 minutes, I found a nickel sized coin with ALL detail worn smooth, although I suspect that it is a V nickel. It was as deep as the Indian Head (approx 7 inches). In this yard, at around 9 to 10 inches deep, are old square nails that are not really that thick. Or at least my F5 didn't report them as being thick. I did decide to dig an iron signal that occasionally sounded of with a single hi tone ( I was in two tone mode). I dug it ONLY for educational purposes. I wanted to see if all of those iron grunts were actually iron. When I pulled the plug out and waved the 11 inch DD coil over the hole, I got a clear repeatable hi tone. The dirt, or perhaps iron or iron flakes from the rotting nails, had effectively hidden this target from me. I was ONLY digging it out of boredom, and when I get bored from lack of signals, I start schooling myself by digging otherwise undiggable tones. Such it was in this case. Anyway, it is the piece on the right with a hook. There is an ornate design on this piece of brass. It is very old but I haven't a clue at what it is. (by the way, if anyone could suggest a decent camera from walmart that takes good pics, and even has decent video recording, I'd appreciate a heads up as I'm going to try my hand at recording some Youtube vids....it will add yet another exciting facet to this hobby) Anyway, does anyone know what this bent piece of brass with the ornate design is?? Oh, and check out my little dog head that I dug the other day from an OLD OLD home-site!!! Obviously, it is in the second pic and I;m using it to prop up the questionable piece. Anyway, thanks for looking, aye?

Re: Can anyone provide some insight into this peculiar object that i found today??
February 04, 2013 01:35AM
looks sort of like a ornate piece of a handle of some sort or possible door fixture
Re: Can anyone provide some insight into this peculiar object that i found today??
February 04, 2013 01:56AM
Looks like a piece of of an old coal stove....probably cast iron....very popular from the 30's-40's when coal stoves were in vogue.....
February 04, 2013 02:42AM
The metal stipping look's like a decorative piece off furniture ...I have dug such stuff for decades out of house sites...ornate brass is usually for furniture part's..

The Dog head look's like the same one's I have seen on old Umbrella's of the 19th century...

It's not a walking cane head to slender...more like an umbrella/parasol...

I like the dog head ...

Keith