Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tom's Beach DVD question...

Posted by connortn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tom's Beach DVD question...
February 04, 2013 05:29AM
Tom, I was watching your DVD again last night while it was snowing here in TN and it looked like you were using your CZ3D in all metal, then switching over to confirm the target. I think I remember that you mentioned here in a post that you had a CZ3D that would detect deeper in all metal than it would in ID mode. Is this what was going on or was there another reason you were using all metal?

Also noticed when you switched from all metal to Disc, that you didn't move the sensitive... I'm assuming you had it maxed out in all metal.

I wonder why the CZ's normally will not detect deeper in all metal as most detectors do, and why your's might be different?

Tks...

C.
Re: Tom's Beach DVD question...
February 04, 2013 02:19PM
Autotune gives a bigger footprint(covers more area) and very easily done with a non digital CZ(analog) by one turn on the dial from autotune to disc. to confirm the target.

Using various CZ's over the years never had one that would go deeper in autotune(all metal) and imagine its nature of the beast...

Imagine Tom will give you the technical aspect of his DVD.....
February 04, 2013 04:46PM
As far as the sensitivy setting goes, I have found that when hunting in all metal, with the sensitivity in the 9-10 range, when switching over to discriminate mode to check the target, as long as I swept slow, I did not have to lower the setting.

The lower sensitivity settings (4-5 range) is what I use when hunting in discriminate mode due to the fact that there is much less falsing when sweeping at moderate speeds.

I can't hunt in my normal fashion at higher sensitivity settings in discriminate mode.

Also, when you watch Tom hunt, he does go at a brisk pace, and all metal is much more an optimal setting when hunting at that pace. Hardly any falsing occurs and when you get tuned in ( ie, when your ear starts to get adapted to the all metal signals), you can tell valid targets from non-valid ones ( ie, possible false or ground feedback).

All metal/autotune is a great way to hunt on the beach when there aren't many targets to start, and you want to find the target lines. Toms beach video is a great teaching mechanism to learn how to attack a beach and find the target lines and where the lighter vs heavier targets may be.
February 04, 2013 07:56PM
Thanks guys. I really appreciated the fact that Tom explained how to discriminate with the ears when in auto tune. Everyone that detects at the beach needs this DVD! Tom surely hunts like a man possessed when out there :-) His speed would wear me down quickly at my age, but even at a much slower rate of detecting, the DVD is priceless. Still wonder if his detector was a bit deeper in auto tune, which I understand most CZ's aren't, and why they are the way they are at this.

Is auto tune the same as pinpointing? ...and is a CZ any deeper in PP as in auto tune or disc mode?

So many questions! If the snow would go away and warm up some, I would do some serious testing myself. One remembers much better if he experiences things first hand.
February 04, 2013 08:32PM
Yes, I believe Tom did say that particular CZ he was using in the video, is deeper in auto tune.