Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What do y'all make of this spoon?

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What do y'all make of this spoon?
February 05, 2013 01:44AM
It's got the word COIN stamped on it. The spoon maker's name is stamped on the narrowest part of the shank, "G.A. Sch........" but that is where the handle was broken off. Is it coin silver??? It came out of the ground looking like it does in the pic.

Thanks for looking. This has got me wanting to try and find the handle! I found a 1901 Indian head cent and a completely worn nickel yesterday about 5 yards from this spoon.
Re: What do y'all make of this spoon?
February 05, 2013 02:20AM
Coin silver

cool find!
February 05, 2013 02:27AM
Nice Kevin..

Coin silver refers to silverware produced in America from early colonial times to just after the Civil War. Items of coin silver produced during this time period are over ninety percent pure silver and were made from European silver coins.

Coin silver was usually stamped with the first initial and last name of the silversmith. Occasionally, the silversmith also stamped the city and state on the pieces, as well..

I will see if I can find who when and where it was made Kevin ...Give me a litle while to dig through some book's

I love silver hall mark's.

Keith
February 05, 2013 03:02AM
Great find. I have a post civil war pocket watch made from coin silver.
February 05, 2013 03:18AM
WOW!!!!! You mean I found my first sterling spoon!!??? Well, half a spoon. Awesome!!! The F5 came through again!!! I have been feeling "Fisher" this week.
February 05, 2013 10:44AM
Aaron, funny you mention that. A couple months ago I found a pocket watch cover/lid/face, marked coin silver. Has a nice design on it too.
February 05, 2013 11:26AM
congrats Kevin nice find!
wjs
February 05, 2013 11:28AM
Cool find.......;o)
February 05, 2013 11:42AM
Yes ozzie I remember, I bet your first thoughts were "silver dollar" when you found it.
February 05, 2013 12:30PM
If remembering correctly Aaron, my first thoughts were 'how did my buddy miss this, he was all over this spot...maybe he thought it was a can, maybe it is, better dig it'.
February 05, 2013 01:25PM
Nice find Kevin!
February 05, 2013 02:26PM
First and foremost nice find...as far as the handle doubt if its made of the same metal and may have decomposed and perhaps you will never find...
Tri
February 05, 2013 07:23PM
Check out this website:

[www.925-1000.com]
February 06, 2013 12:33AM
Nice find Kevin! Great info Keith!
February 06, 2013 03:33AM
Thanks for all the feedback, links, and, nice comments!!! I really appreciate it. I asked the owner today if the site was once a vegetable garden and he said yes. The spoon shows the damage that I have seen rototillers do. The metal is nice and pliable, I may can gently restore it to looking like a spoon again. The mouth portion is dented VERY badly. The pic didn't show ya how dented and contorted the mouth piece is. I may try my hand at some lite restoration so that I can display it in a plaque of relics taken from this area.