Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Vista Gold Field Test

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Vista Gold Field Test
February 26, 2013 12:13PM
Search and recovbery wrote:

"whoa!! Aaron, are you actually admitting that you are surprised?"

No Sir, I am not surprised, not one bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2013 12:23PM by Aaron.
February 26, 2013 02:37PM
With sensitivity cranked up, are both detectors quiet, or do they tend to make alot of false noise. I remember one video from keith last summer that the xp made alot of noise, I think that was the video where he found the 1856 cent. I remember the xp was quite noisey..... unless that was just alot of iron signals.
February 26, 2013 02:51PM
iv been reasearching the gmp and noticed the goldmaxx mk1 out pro forms the goldmaxx power,could anyone else confirm this ?
February 26, 2013 04:00PM
Great Tests Tom!!!! thank you for the service that you provide detectorists today!!!!! I I have talked to yo on the phone and found you to be a " Just the Facts" kind of man. And we, as the buying public, need good extensive, non-biased, testing performed on the latest and greatest. You have dedicated a large portion (evidently) of your life to this. It is appreciated.
Anonymous User
February 26, 2013 04:11PM
Hello been lurking and learning for a year...finally became time to sign up...and post...

This is good stuff - Tom - thanks so very much for taking the time. Someone earlier asked for video when you do these tests...I guess that's not happening...

Can we know the settings that were used? Sensitivity? Level of disc in the bed of nails, etc?

Some of my comments and questions to clarify Tom's remarks...........(if someone here knows how to translate some of the Tom speak for me please chime in)...

3. This is good to know. GMP is not sold in USA plus it's about $1200 shipped to buy new from Europe and you send it back for service...

4. Am I correct to read this comment as: at fringe depth a non-ferrous signal is definitely a non-ferrous item and an iron signal is definitely iron? (Not that you are getting iron readings on good non-ferrous at depth like some machines do)...

6. The falsing in Slow...is that falsing on iron? What was the Disc setting set at which caused the falsing - was it too low?

8. Disc out foil - this is new news from stuff I've read and seen

9. I have read your soil is mild but you are GB at 2 o'clock. Keith Southern is GB at 2 o'clock in highly mineralized soil and Gary's Detecting (UK) is GB in moderate soil at about 11:30 o'clock...will not having the GB set correctly cause performance loss or distorted signal response??

10. Wouldn't running in Single Tone (which knocks out the iron tone completely) be what you want to turn the iron volume down to zero? Would that be the same as zero iron volume when running in Two Tone?

12. I read the 5" coil is discontinued and they are coming out soon with a small 5x7'?? elliptical coil - AMCJAVELIN - can you confirm?

13. Huh? What happened here exactly? Are you saying neither machine found nearly nothing in carpet of nails - if this is a natural hunt - how do we know there was anything to find in the carpet of nails if neither machine found anything? All the videos I've watched so far show the Vista Gold beating the Deus running in Deus Fast (faster than GMP mode) at finding targets among iron on the same depth plane...

14. Was interesting to see in real world testing your conditions showed the same depth between the 2 machines

Thanks for your time. Would absolutely love to sit on your shoulder via video...and go along for the ride

NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Time to document/share my findings (thus far).
>
> Two dedicated, very distinct, very specific
> targeted hunts -- seeking scientific-based data.
> Nutshell thoughts:
>
> 1) Easy to operate
>
> 2) Fast learning-curve if you are a relic hunter.
> Instant learning-curve if you are coming from a
> Deus/GMP.
>
> 3) Vista Gold performs/operates/functions nearly
> exactly like XP GMP.
>
> 4) Disc AND ID to fringe depth is absolutely
> critical........... hard to design in a detector;
> yet, the Vista Gold is accurate/confident.
>
> 5) Turning 'boost' off..... and many real-world
> (various) detected targets completely
> disappeared.
> I have yet to find a need to run with 'boost'
> off.
> 6) Switching from 'Slow' to 'Fast'..... and many
> real-world detected targets completely
> disappeared.
> 'Slow' can only be used in low iron trash
> sites........ otherwise, existing falsing becomes
> accentuated/excessive/elongated/fatiguing/unusable
> .
>
> 7) Some certain flakes of rust...... about the
> size of a half-dime..... would give a
> continuous/repeatable high-tone...... and no Disc
> setting would mitigate.
>
> 8) Disc range will indeed disc out chewing gum
> foil.
>
> 9) Identical Grnd Bal electronic
> reactions/response as compared to GMP.
> In the different types of conditions (thus far)
> that I have encountered.... the Ground Balance has
> been deep into the red range ..... about 2 o-clock
> position.
>
> 10) The iron volume control knob will only reduce
> the iron audio reports down to approx 1/2 volume.
>
> Would like to have the ability to turn the iron
> volume down to zero.
>
> 11) No pinpoint feature.
> Not wanted, not needed.
>
> 12) Encountered too much microphonics with 5" DD
> coil (bad/improper coil wire)..... to give
> accurate valid (value added) assessment.
>
> 13) Deliberately running the Vista Gold behind the
> GMP in carpets of nails......... and the Vista
> Gold will find nearly nothing. At a virgin
> site....... running the GMP behind the Vista Gold
> in carpets of nails...... and the GMP will find
> nearly nothing. Units were (uncanny) comparable.
> Conductivity of masked targets ranged the entire
> spectrum. Herein lies approx 2.5% difference
> between the two units........ due (primarily) to
> coil footprint configuration. Both units are DD;
> however, the GMP is 9" round and the Vista Gold is
> 11" elliptical. I would have expected a few
> percent greater delta/differential; yet, resultant
> was still within 'norm' expectations.
> If two (comparable) units are to be run
> head-to-head....... it is protocol to run one unit
> behind the other....... and vice-versa. Multiple
> times.... so as to ascertain overall aggergate
> statistical averaging/analysis for scientific
> validity.
>
> 14) Turning Vista Gold 'on' each time.....
> presents a different set/group of induced
> electronic instability. . . . . incongruent with
> atmospheric conditions. Not much; however,
> noteworthy. Minor adjustments (reducing
> sensitivity) would mitigate the problem.
> This unit truly feels like a 1st generation (or
> proto) GMP. Its operating characteristics (and
> subsequent performance) are nearly identical to
> the GMP. The GMP is much more
> repeatable/stable/refined. The overall build
> quality of the Vista Gold is below average; yet,
> functional.
>
> My brain is exceptionally sensitive to any/all
> performance increase(s) in depth. Even a 1/2"
> depth increase (regardless of conductivity range)
> ..... is a dramatic performance gain of which will
> completely change the end-resultant..... to the
> point of turning the world up-side-down. In
> Florida's low mineralization dirt........... no
> depth advantage was noticed between the GMP vs
> Vista Gold....... in real-world conditions.
>
> More to follow.......... out of time.
February 26, 2013 04:36PM
To be a lurker and just joined and with a new machine being tested love2hunt you sure know alot about the vista? Can you tell us more? My personal opinion I'll keep to myself for now.
February 26, 2013 05:45PM
Remember when I said the Boost and slow where quirky?

Yes they are and falses more on iron yet in my soil that opens up a whole new layer at depth.....The iron will sound good at depth in slow even the nail's yet with a little time there is slight subtleties to the signal that alert the user to if it's iron or not....I dig very little nail's...

I get very good depth in bad dirt wiht this machine...

I have a feeling the whole machine is designed for contaminated iron decayed rich soil like the roman sites contain... The type soil I have natural iron occuring soil...

I may be in the perfect area of the U.S..Gold Belt....to reap the benefits of the design...Tennessee, N.Alabama,West Virginia and maybe parts of Virgina might be the best spots for it......

Out west ought to be good spots also...anywhere in the Gold zone areas are usually very mineralized...Iron producing area's

Keith

Keith
February 26, 2013 06:05PM
If I may interject..

Toms finding's are along the lines of what I also reported..

The machine is not built to the standards of the GMP...Plastic potentiometer shaft's...

Yet the Gold performs in iron like the GMP..I too do not noice any difference in the two unmasking wise...I have stated this...

(((((I find the machine to be deeper than the GMP in my dirt and I may be in a unique area to reap the benefit's of the design..Heres the rpoblem in my dirt...I can get the GMP to be deep but at the cost on instability through negative ground bal...i.e. not in the red but at 11oclock...the GOLD I can keep dead balanced and get better depth...actually on the Gold if I try to run it negative it never stops high toning so I cant run it like that....)))

Tom wants the volume to go quite because flipping into one tone sort of defeats the purpose of how the machine unmask...it works better to turn the volume down and keep the audio gate open then to actually run through a nulling circuit 1 tone conventional disc,,reaction time is reduced like this....

((( I find the 8 ohms headphone's allow for a lower iron volume when on zero than some higher ohm...I cant get it quite on zero yet I can get it to almost a no obtrusive backgound sound 8 ohms is the best I have found for the GOLD and makes sure they are paper cone's they allow subtleties nuances that the 8 ohm mylar type do not( Read treasure wise not calrad).)))

Small coil and large round coil with Gray cable is noisy....almost at time's un-huntable in certain sites...the new black cable is noise free...The small 5 DD is not one I want even wihtt he new coil...it is prone to cracking to easliy...

The replacement small coil if built along the lines of the 7.5x11 NEL style coil will be a better option..

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2013 06:16PM by Keith Southern.
February 26, 2013 07:18PM
Very nice response Keith. Your insight helps us all to understand what and why this machine is able to accomplish what it does.The thoughts on the headphones are particularly interesting. I may have to buy a pair of the treasurewise just to see if I can hear the different tonal qualities of them. Tom, thanks for taking the time to inform all of us on this sight of your findings so far. We all are waiting for your future reports on the Vista Gold and any comparisons to the GMP. Interesting to hear the differences in the soil conditions of the test sites between the two of you and how the machines respond at each site. Wish there were testers all over the country to figure out what particular machine works best in each area. Becomes painfully obvious that no one machine works equally well everywhere. Here in N.C. and Va. the soil makeup varies so much from one site to the next that I do not believe that only one machine can achieve pinnecle performance at each site. Thus, the need for multiple detectors. Each has its own place that it excells and each has a place that it does not. Knowing each machines limits is so important to our success as detectorists. Kind of like solving a puzzle, which conditions at each site matches up best for which detector. I for one enjoy learning all that you guys are teaching us and appreciate the time that you take out of your lives to help those of us who are less gifted in our methodology ( and spelling)...Stuart
Anonymous User
February 27, 2013 12:01AM
Hi - I'm not sure what your sayin..but Ive watched every video out there and read everything that Keith wrote about the machine...I just asked a few questions.

Jack Flynn Wrote:
> To be a lurker and just joined and with a new
> machine being tested love2hunt you sure know alot
> about the vista? Can you tell us more? My personal
> opinion I'll keep to myself for now.
Anonymous User
February 27, 2013 12:03AM
Thanks for answering alot of my questions. You have alot of patience and help everyone here.

Keith Southern Wrote:
> If I may interject..
>
> Toms finding's are along the lines of what I also
> reported..
>
> The machine is not built to the standards of the
> GMP...Plastic potentiometer shaft's...
>
> Yet the Gold performs in iron like the GMP..I too
> do not noice any difference in the two unmasking
> wise...I have stated this...
>
> (((((I find the machine to be deeper than the GMP
> in my dirt and I may be in a unique area to reap
> the benefit's of the design..Heres the rpoblem in
> my dirt...I can get the GMP to be deep but at the
> cost on instability through negative ground
> bal...i.e. not in the red but at 11oclock...the
> GOLD I can keep dead balanced and get better
> depth...actually on the Gold if I try to run it
> negative it never stops high toning so I cant run
> it like that....)))
>
> Tom wants the volume to go quite because flipping
> into one tone sort of defeats the purpose of how
> the machine unmask...it works better to turn the
> volume down and keep the audio gate open then to
> actually run through a nulling circuit 1 tone
> conventional disc,,reaction time is reduced like
> this....
>
> ((( I find the 8 ohms headphone's allow for a
> lower iron volume when on zero than some higher
> ohm...I cant get it quite on zero yet I can get it
> to almost a no obtrusive backgound sound 8 ohms is
> the best I have found for the GOLD and makes sure
> they are paper cone's they allow subtleties
> nuances that the 8 ohm mylar type do not( Read
> treasure wise not calrad).)))
>
> Small coil and large round coil with Gray cable is
> noisy....almost at time's un-huntable in certain
> sites...the new black cable is noise free...The
> small 5 DD is not one I want even wihtt he new
> coil...it is prone to cracking to easliy...
>
> The replacement small coil if built along the
> lines of the 7.5x11 NEL style coil will be a
> better option..
>
>
> Keith
February 27, 2013 12:12AM
the round 5" coil is being phazed out the new small eliptical will be out in mid march as last known
Anonymous User
February 27, 2013 12:16AM
Thanks - that old one looked like a hockey puck. LOL...

AMCJAVELIN Wrote:
> the round 5" coil is being phazed out the new
> small eliptical will be out in mid march as last
> known
February 27, 2013 12:29AM
the round ones were built by hand
February 27, 2013 01:37AM
So after reading this knowing that Tom has a lot more testing to do. What is the most efective unit out there. The F75 the Deus or? I know everyone has different ground so what is the scoop for all around detecting. It is going to be months before I can even try the hobby again but it is interesting to read all the info on this forum.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 27, 2013 01:54AM
Toms weapon of choice is the GMP, Deus close second and then the 75LTD/SE.
February 27, 2013 03:33AM
How did Tom get GMP?

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 27, 2013 04:04AM
He acquired mine Lawrenzo...

Keith
February 27, 2013 10:05AM
Hello Tom,

thanks for your test. I want to write something as a experienced users of the Vista Gold.

The performance of Vista Gold in comparison to the XP GMP in highly mineralized areas is nearly the same. I used both detectors on my roman sites with the same result.But I prefer the Vista Gold because the sounds are further apart than with the GMP. It's easier after a long search to hear clearly even small objects, the concentration lasts longer. On highly mineralized and with a lot of small iron penetrated surfaces I set the the RS switch to "F" and booster to "On" the sensitivity I set to 35-40. These are my favorite settings for difficult conditions.
When comparing the two detectors on Roman sites both gave the same number of finds. What Tom has recognized in his test already well.

To clean sites like in woods and open areas the Vista Gold has a clear performance advantage over the XP GMP. There you can run the Vista with maximum settings including RS to "S", which means a significant increase in performance.

The build quality of the XP is better also that wireless headphones can be used is a big advantage. However, the Vista boasts ease of use, very well selected pitches and good performance.

Martin
February 27, 2013 01:50PM
Good info Martin.
Anonymous User
February 27, 2013 07:08PM
Hello Martin from Germany - thank you for your input. I researched some about you and see that you are a long time user of the DeepTech machines - so it is good to get some perspective from a very experienced user.

So it looks to me like a consensus has formed from the experiences that you, Tom D and Keith Southern all have with both the Vista Gold and the XP GMP. I am trying to make a decision so please humor me as I relist already written comments...

Martin: "The performance of Vista Gold in comparison to the XP GMP in highly mineralized areas is nearly the same." "To clean sites like in woods and open areas the Vista Gold has a clear performance advantage over the XP GMP. There you can run the Vista with maximum settings including RS to "S", which means a significant increase in performance. "

Tom: " 3) Vista Gold performs/operates/functions nearly exactly like XP GMP. " " 4) Disc AND ID to fringe depth is absolutely critical...hard to design in a detector; yet, the Vista Gold is accurate/confident. " "Units were (uncanny) comparable." "Its operating characteristics (and subsequent performance) are nearly identical to the GMP." "no depth advantage was noticed between the GMP vs Vista Gold....... in real-world conditions."

Keith Southern: "Toms finding's are along the lines of what I also reported.. " "..the Gold performs in iron like the GMP..I too do not notice any difference in the two unmasking wise.."I find the machine to be deeper than the GMP in my dirt...the problem in my dirt...I can get the GMP to be deep but at the cost on instability" "..the GOLD I can keep dead balanced and get better depth." "I may be in the perfect area of the U.S..Gold Belt....to reap the benefits of the design...Tennessee, N.Alabama,West Virginia and maybe parts of Virgina might be the best spots for it...... Out west ought to be good spots also...anywhere in the Gold zone areas are usually very mineralized...Iron producing area's"...

There are other comments made about this Vista Gold - no need to bore everyone with rehash. Aaron above says that Tom's weapon of choice is the GMP. A lot of respect is given for Tom's preference. Like Tiger Woods using a Nike driver - both can use any tool..they want...

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a new machine (if only the weather would cooperate). My thought process is:

GMP not sold or serviced in the USA but the DeepTech Vista machines are...
GMP cost about $1250 but Vista Gold cost about $899...
GMP build quality better but Vista Gold OK for less price...
Deus performs like GMP but costs $1899...

So it looks like for about 900 bucks I can get a tool that operates almost identically to the tool that Tom D prefers - kinda sounds good to me...

Richard.

Sondierer Wrote:
> Hello Tom,
>
> thanks for your test. I want to write something as
> a experienced users of the Vista Gold.
>
> The performance of Vista Gold in comparison to the
> XP GMP in highly mineralized areas is nearly the
> same. I used both detectors on my roman sites with
> the same result.But I prefer the Vista Gold
> because the sounds are further apart than with the
> GMP. It's easier after a long search to hear
> clearly even small objects, the concentration
> lasts longer. On highly mineralized and with a
> lot of small iron penetrated surfaces I set the
> the RS switch to "F" and booster to "On" the
> sensitivity I set to 35-40. These are my favorite
> settings for difficult conditions.
> When comparing the two detectors on Roman sites
> both gave the same number of finds. What Tom has
> recognized in his test already well.
>
> To clean sites like in woods and open areas the
> Vista Gold has a clear performance advantage over
> the XP GMP. There you can run the Vista with
> maximum settings including RS to "S", which means
> a significant increase in performance.
>
> The build quality of the XP is better also that
> wireless headphones can be used is a big
> advantage. However, the Vista boasts ease of use,
> very well selected pitches and good performance.
>
> Martin
February 27, 2013 09:38PM
A short hunt with both Vista Gold and GMP..... with specifically targeted intent (again).

My intent with the Vista Gold was to 'coin hunt' with the unit. Keep in mind .... I have 41 years of (monomaniac) tuition under my belt...... and would NEVER recommend the Vista Gold for coin hunting.
Just when I think I can audibly differentiate a coin from a soda tab.... or any other non-ferrous target, a new twist enters the equation. No-go. No joy. There is almost an audible differential between the report of a coin vs aluminum tab........ as long as both targets are completely solo. Yet, still no-go. Now...... if the coin is slightly tilted, or a fleck of rust is in fairly close proximity... or mineralization is bad......... and a host of other real-world scenarios are imposed........ you can not differentiate between a coin and other non-ferrous targets. Same with the GMP when you de-select the coin tone....... and revert the GMP back to only a 2-tone system.

Another intended test was to see how high I could adjust the Sens on the Vista Gold. This particular (coin hunting) area poses minimum atmospheric/electrostatic EMI conditions..... thus allowing for higher Sens/gain settings. In a nutshell......... I have yet to be able to adjust the Sens above '45' on the Vista Gold. (((Max is 50))). This is 10% away from max available Sens/gain. This exactly parallels the GMP (with one small exception). In a nail infested area..... the Sens must be reduced by about 2-points (about 4%). This ALSO is exactly true with the GMP.

Whilst hunting in carpets of nails....... the Grnd Bal on the Vista gold requires a setting deep into the red.... at the 2 O-clock position. In iron saturation absolute..... then 3 O-clock position. Same EXACT set-up/config for the GMP. When iron is low/sparse....... the Vista Gold Grnd Bal can be adjusted exactly at the dividing line between the red and blue division...... on the control knob/faceplate. Same EXACT requirements on the GMP.

In sans free areas (very few targets)...... the Vista Gold does ascertain greater depths (max depth) capabilities............. as does the GMP. Because the GMP's electronics are ever-so-slightly more stable/balanced....... the GMP can be Sens driven a couple of percent greater.

Since these detectors are more at 'home' (((specifically designed for))) carpets of nails/iron rubbish......... another noteworthy observation worthy of mention is: the Vista Gold more readily high-tone 'falses' in iron..... over the GMP; however, the Vista Gold falses are a bit more audibly discernible. The lesser falses of the GMP are slightly less discernible; yet, still easily understood.

Identical with the GMP......... the Vista Gold's Grnd Bal design platform (engineering intent) is more of a control for mitigation of ground/mineralization 'chatter' ...... differing slightly from the standard design intent of dirt phase-shift Ground Balance circuitry.

I 'question' the long-term reliability of the Vista Gold; yet, I have encountered minimum fault. (Scratchy ... electronically dirty ... pots).

So far............... If I need raw depth whilst hunting areas clear of carpets of nails......... I will use F75/CZ/Minelab. Where nails are fairly abundant..... the F75 is preferred choice. In carpets of nails...... the GMP..... followed by Vista Gold....over all other detectors currently on the open market.

Having a detector that can open up doors in carpets of nails..... has become all-too-apparent.
The future is now.
February 27, 2013 10:55PM
Wellllllllllll i'm going to still run my DT's reguardless of opinions and so fourth just my preference they do the job well in my ground.
February 28, 2013 08:17AM
I dont think Tom has a problem with the DT's performance wise Brandon....

But as you can see from his report...the GMP and the DTVG have no other peer's AT THIS MOMENT...

This was my whole reason for the enthusuiasm for the DTVG....It's aworld class unmasker ...Nothing to scoff at....we know the build quality is sub par compared to the modern established manufacturer's...Yet it provides a TOOL for the more serious detectroist to have in the lineup...It's all we have at the moment either one will open your eye's...

I am glad Tom took the time to test the DTVG....He may see more depth with another DT like the DTV Smart in his dirt...But I promise you the DTVG is the fastest of all the DTV's ...

If a startup company can accomlish such feats on there first attempt...other manufacturer's here in the States need to get their thinking caps on...That's the real deal...

Think about it for a minute,,,

take a GOLD BUG Pro.....apply a boost mode..... 2 tiered disc give us 100 point's of finetunable iron resoution up to foil then flip the switch and cover the foil to zinc Add a third tone in that second disc mode that breaks at zinc/copper....and add an iron volume...low bassy tone for iron....create a more analog type audio instead of the digital audio type report...and keep the price the same and they would have a serious site unlocker...ultra light weight to boot and a visual I.D. thrown in the mix!

It would not cost alot more than some different code and a boost circuit...

Pitiful they are out of touch with a niche market....the Money they could make in Europe would be worth the venture I would think...Then us the more savy detectorist here in The states could reap the rewards...

Keith
February 28, 2013 09:01AM
Great report Tom! Vista Gold and GMP are pretty much head to head even with slight edge to GMP in your soil conditions. Maybe what detectorists really need is a detector that can be tuned to any frequency we choose for our conditions, or one that we just change to different types of coils for the particular soil that we are hunting. Just a thought.
February 28, 2013 09:33AM
In theory it sounds good; however, , , , , Unless they are exact/multiple(s) harmonic freq's............. something says: stay away from adjustable freq's.... as resonance (coil and/or detector platform) then becomes defeated/out-of-tune.
February 28, 2013 11:23AM
yeah that idea of a gold bug pro/ G-2 would be cool, since i own a g-2 also very happy with that machine that combo your talking would be a sweet set up
February 28, 2013 02:04PM
Thanks gor the reports Tom. I took mine out for its maiden voyage yesterday. First stop...couldnt find a spot clear enough to g.b.! So next was a larger more open area.I found it very easy to use, and my thoughts on it mimic yours...my biggest gripe is the knobs...I went to adjust the sensitivity one handed (using my detector hand) and instead of turning it wanted to flex...so I have to use my other hand...just have to be cautious. Also found it will hit on a hotrock...but gave a wierd, non definable hit that should be easy to recognize. Also found it is very noticable when ground conditions change and you need to re groundbalance. Third site is where I really got comfortable with it. Old mine site...pulled a lot of conductors out of the iron...really like the coil, reminds me of the smaller Atpro coil. Found a 1909-s wheat...but hard as I tried, couldnt make that vdb appear! Lol. Hope I didnt hijack herebut thought may be best to not start a seperate thread.
February 28, 2013 02:56PM
Hi Tom,
Let me start by saying that I appreciate your testing of these detectors ......Since the DT Gold is designed wtih GOLD in mind , is it possible to do some tests wtih Gold involved , especailly with iron rearby ?....... I'm more concerned with the masking abilities of a DT Gold /GMP comparison as well as how both detectors hit smaller Gold or even Gold chains ...... We already know that neither of these machines were designed with coins in mind by looking at their operating frequecies .....

S&R,
As Tom mentions , multi freq machines are in order for what you would like to see .....Not to mention , these detectors use a LOT of power, so to have a machine that can do what you want , and also have a fast response , it would take 2 men and a boy to carry the battery needed to run the proccessor in said machine .....It has always amazed me when I take a single freq machine to the beach , and try to go into the saltwater , and then go to the wet sand , and then to the dry sand , not to mention the differences in ground conditions just walkig from one area to the next how important it is to have an automatically changing multi Freq machine when running along a saltwater beach .......Jim
February 28, 2013 03:25PM
Hey Keith -- those modifications you mentioned, to the Gold Bug Pro...WOW what a machine that would be!

Steve