Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Vista Gold Field Test

Posted by NASA-Tom 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Vista Gold Field Test
March 05, 2013 07:44PM
He Jim!!

Yes Norfolk passed away ..Great guy ...will be missed...

You will like the GMP for picking the coins from the rubbish...with the extra tone...

The GMP v4 is the APEX of European design...Built solid and does what it does very well..

Seems some of the other euro machine are more or less mimic's of it...

I read the Nokta Velox One is an exact copy of the GMP ..I have read they had to epoxy the component's of the Velox so they would not risk law suit from XP...

But one thing about the Velox One is it's in a robust housing with detachable battery pack I think Kellyco is selling them now...999.00 Whew!!

Tom needs to run over one afternoon and borrow one for a test...

you never Know a copy machine can sometimes do something a bit better...

I found the GMP v4 to be a tad bit better when running it against the DEUS on same freq...Night and day NO! But you can tell the GMP is working on 18kHz exactly and the DEUS is a tad off on that freq....

Good luck...

Man dont lurk ....Post up....your expertise in all facet's of detecting would be welcome..

Keith
March 05, 2013 07:54PM
Thanks for the update Tom!

I was not expecting it back so soon...

ought to have kept it awhile....

I like to run them awhile ...But it is a easy machine to get comfortable with...especially if you are accustom to the GMP v4..

Glad you got to test for the people hear and for your self...

Thank's for the time.

Keith
March 05, 2013 10:15PM
Gosh...... if the rest of the Euro detector Mfr world is copying the GMP, , , , , it really makes a statement.,.,.,.,. pro-GMP. I could only wish for folks to honor the real GMP by purchasing the real McCoy...... to honor the Chief Design Engineer(s)..... and to put money back into that specific company for furtherance of R&D. Soooo ..... not just for the purpose of legal/moral/ethical basis; rather/also, more founded fundamental technological advancement. I would rather own a real Rolls Royce.... instead of a copy.
Now.......... if a Mfr trumps the GMP........ the tables turn.
March 05, 2013 10:26PM
If a person were to get one machine and it came down to a decision between the Vista Smart and Vista Gold...which would it be and why? Strictly for relic hunting.
March 06, 2013 12:06AM
Daniel the gold is a hair faster for unmasking purposes,,,

and for some reason in this gold belt dirt the Gold seem's to be deeper..

its hot on small buttons too...

Slow mode seems to make it deeper also...

Keith
March 06, 2013 12:11AM
Received another e-mail from XP when I asked them why they don't sell the GMP in the U.S., they replied;

As it is our previous range we don't want to pass FCC certification, also we need to change frequency band for wireless option

XPLORER Sarl
8, rue du développement
ZI de VIC
F-31320 CASTANET-TOLOSAN
FRANCE
March 06, 2013 12:35AM
Yes that why Ozzie...

Thats why I talked about the Gold after I found out what it would do...comparable to the GMP...

I knew you could at least order one form overseas and get it shipped here..the GMP would have to be used model to get it overhear nd its still not 100% legal through custom's it's not FCC certified...

Dont think airplanes will drop out of the sky from using it here though...But did hear it was on our garage door opener freq's one time...so might be hunting a yard and the garage door goes up and down ,,,,LOL!!

But turn the wireless off and use plugged in phones to be safe...And save battery juice...They could disable the wireless easliy if they wanted too..but I think they want to push the DEUS over here...they think we would not have a use for a site machine.....Again all marketing ...pre deciding what we want!

I believe in the near future the GMP will be all wireless and set up on the DEUS platform locked into the 18kHz and hopefully the coil dead tuned for 18kHz like the GMP offers now......makes sense from a marketing setup...cheaper to build too..Probably no control pod just coil,pole and headphones with the setting's controlled on the clip on pod on the phone's....Then they will sell them here ..and the GM 4kHz version too...more profit to be had for fooling with overseas warranty work...Instead of having to work on them ...its just a simple swap a headphone pod out or a coil swap...that's it ...no tearing into a big box unit looking for the problem...shipping back and forth across the atlantic..No more! just swap a little pod or coil out...

Heck one day you will probably just by the $150.00 Phone app and bluetooth to the $200.00 coil...Think of that..Why not!!!!!

Keith
March 06, 2013 01:27AM
Now the question is....is a "hair" faster worth the price difference between them? I don't live n breathe the iron sites...although I do on occasion wander into them just because so many other people usually shy away from them.

Are the other things pretty well equal on them or would there be one feature that one has that the other doesn't that you just couldn't do without? The Gold seems to have more folks raving about it but I've not really saw many even trying the Smart.
March 06, 2013 03:55AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gosh...... if the rest of the Euro detector Mfr
> world is copying the GMP, , , , , it really makes
> a statement.,.,.,.,. pro-GMP. I could only wish
> for folks to honor the real GMP by purchasing the
> real McCoy...... to honor the Chief Design
> Engineer(s)..... and to put money back into that
> specific company for furtherance of R&D. Soooo
> ..... not just for the purpose of
> legal/moral/ethical basis; rather/also, more
> founded fundamental technological advancement. I
> would rather own a real Rolls Royce.... instead of
> a copy.
> Now.......... if a Mfr trumps the GMP........ the
> tables turn.

The problem is they will not ship here, and the xp deus is up there in price.....If I can get similiar performance for half the price..............thats why I picked up a Gold.... hope to try it soon when the weather breaks.
March 06, 2013 03:58AM
Maybe the FCC business is just hogwash, otherwise the relic hunters would be buying the less expensive GMP instead of the Deus, here in the states....
March 06, 2013 04:22AM
" Maybe the FCC business is just hogwash..."

I wouldn't want to be the one who is the test case..
March 06, 2013 06:38AM
Thanks Tom for all the info on the GMP vs. Vista Gold. I would have bought a GMP if available to me, but have no complaints what so ever with my Vista Gold other than build quality. Again, I am using it as a relic machine, so it is such a great machine for what it is intended to be, and I am sure it will do well in the dry sand at most any beaches. Not on the micro jewelry at the beach, but on small gold and up. For micro jewelry I did buy the Gold Bug II. Wet sand and water I have other better machines for that purpose. Multi-frequency and pulse machines for that type of hunting. Although the water machines always pay for my hobby, I still have a special place in my heart for relics and can not make myself sell them. They are our history and just so special to me every time I find one. I found a saddle tack that looked just like an eagle button this week. Value?...To me, priceless. Same when I dig a Reid Parrot 12 pound shell, or an eagle breast plate from the Civil War. Some day when I pass away I am sure my collection will be sold off if I do not donate it to some museum or organization first, but in the mean time I truly enjoy contemplating why each piece was where I found it and what was happening when that particular piece fell to the ground. Actually, another hunter and myself offered to donate each of our collections of Civil War. Revolutionary War, and ocean artifacts found in Halifax County, N.C. to our historical organizations for display if they would just put our name on the collections for recognition, but they would not. Silly, huh? Guess it is just ego on my part to want a little recognition for all the research and hours in the field spent to recover these priceless things that so many people walk by everyday and never realize what is under their feet... Off subject, sorry...
I know you have had a hard time dealing with Barry in N.Y. and his sales tactics, and I do not think that I would have been as patient as you if it were my forum and I had warned him so much about crossing the line on dealer sales videos. But I have to say his and Keith's videos sold me on this unit and I have been nothing but happy with it. Although I did not see any false representations in his video's, I agree with your stance on keeping this as a no nonsense site as to the scientific abilities of detectors and detecting, and everyone here applauds your ethics and no one questions your dedication to this "sport".
Thanks....Stuart
March 25, 2013 05:41AM
N/T
Question for Tom or Keith
April 25, 2013 03:15AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:

> 4) Disc AND ID to fringe depth is absolutely
> critical........... hard to design in a detector;
> yet, the Vista Gold is accurate/confident.

> 7) Some certain flakes of rust...... about the
> size of a half-dime..... would give a
> continuous/repeatable high-tone...... and no Disc
> setting would mitigate.

I have a question on #4.

Are you saying that the disc. on iron (big and small) works to fringe depth on the Gold? The reason I ask, on the Smart, disc. on small iron (crusty hex nut about the size of a dime) stops right at 8" going from low tone to a high tone.

Even in an air test, the hex nut gave a low tone to almost 6 1/2", from 6 1/2" to almost 8", it was a scratchy, clicking type signal, at 8" and on it became a high tone. This was with both 2 tone and Silent Disc. mode except when in Silent Disc. mode there wasn't any signal up to almost the 6 1/2", but it was the same after that as with 2 tone mode. Turning Disc. up to Max and still it did the same thing.

Just curious if the Gold does this also.

Thanks,

Ron
Re: Question for Tom or Keith
April 25, 2013 05:44AM
25kHz looks at iron different than 15khz Ron...

Airtest is different than in ground target's on tone change also...

But the DTVG does not dig much small iron at depth...or shallow for that fact... surface tin and large iron at depth can fool it...but not really fool it its discing jsut to nails and hearing everything else,,,But on the large iron aspect is just you dont know it's large iron till you dig it...on shallow large iron I can tell it's large iron yet I dig it too for unmasking purpose if the site requires it!...

The DTVG is the best of the Deeptech's in my opinion...Whatever that's worth...The strongpoint of the Deeptech designs are unmasking..Why not use the best they offer for intended purpose...

The Smart is nice but its not quite on the unmasking level of the DTVG close but not quite....And I find the DTVG deeper in my dirt...My test bed video's show what I see in the field...

But I rarely dig deep small iron like you describe...

now different soils and moisture content etc can change outcome's...

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2013 01:37AM by Keith Southern.
April 26, 2013 12:48AM
interesting comparison
[www.youtube.com]
April 26, 2013 01:17AM
Denari Wrote:
> interesting comparison
> [www.youtube.com]
I couldn't understand a thing that was going on. Which unit performed better??? I was lost the whole way through. I'm not criticising you.....it's just that I couldn't understand what was going on. Did the Gold win the comparison??? The Smart??? The Omega???? I was trying hard to keep up but I was lost at the start.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2013 02:47AM by Kevin B.
April 26, 2013 02:01AM
Gotta get Rosetta Stone Kevin, lol!
April 26, 2013 02:48AM
deathray Wrote:
> Gotta get Rosetta Stone Kevin, lol!

For real!!!! And learn to read the metric system of measurement. lol
April 27, 2013 08:56AM
coins (silver 222 sample and brass ) diameter of 1 cent USA.
Depth of the left
red nut 7'' 8'' 9'' 10.2'' 11.8''
white nut 7'' 8'' 9'' 10.2'' 11''.
omega showed confident.
April 27, 2013 02:20PM
I wonder how will perform vistas with Ultimate coil..the coils are the weakest point of Deeptech machines..my opinion
April 27, 2013 02:39PM
Denari, I have an F5 (supposed to be same as Omega with a few adjustment differences). What kind of coil is that on the Omega in the Video??? Do you like an F5?? I mean.....are the F5 and the Teknetics Omega the same, performance-wise??? I have had an Omega (very noisy at full gain) and I have an F5 (I can lower the Threshold and get better...noise-free operation without losing much performance ,....translated....."depth".
April 27, 2013 05:36PM
I do not have f5.
DETECH coil 13'' have a very stiff cable.
nel coil 13'' of the tests was 3 years old the first version
April 27, 2013 06:58PM
Kevin If I may interject an answer here...

I know you asked someone else but I have some info I can share ...

the Programming of the Omega 8000 is alot like the F5...except the sens pot on the Omega serves double duty....on the omega the Sens maxs out around 70...anything after that is applying the threshold....

so 99 sens on the Omega is like having the f5 cranked up with full thresh and full sens...

70 sens on the Omega is like having the f5 sens nearly wide open yet having the thresh say in the negative zone..about 75 sens on the Omega is like the threshold setting on the f5 going into the positive number's..

So I ask you this Kevin.....how many times did you run both wide open on the F5?That;s the same as trying to run the Omega 99...

that's one of the misconceptions of the Omega....it's a dual control and a sens of 70 is usually doable anywhere you hunt at least 65 anyway....anything above 70 is saturation of audio to the point of overload finally ...yet also the Omega and f5 can be ran wide open as long as your swinging the coil in a grounded situation...

also the newer Omegas and I would think the f5 too have had some tweaks done to them for e.m.i. problem's...

People like the f5 because they see the sens able to go to the 90's alot of times with no interference..yet the are keeping the thresh low to accomplish this..

what is the thresh advantage on the f5 and Omega...well on coin sized objects not alot but on small stuff like jewelry and stuff the thresh aids in hearing the smaller item's...

I prefer the Omega to the F5 for the ergonomics for one thing...and the simplicity is another...yet the a very very much the same detector's...also the number's I gave you are not set in stone as far as linear but they are close....

you want as much sens as you can get before you apply thresh so the Omega simplifies this...yet in certian rare circumstances a high thresh with low sens might work a CERTAIN area for a CERTIAN size target better when emi is a problem..

Setting the f5 to say 50 sens and running the thresh to full would be like having the Omega at say 40 Sens with negative thresh so you see an advantage MAYBE but remember you have kileed the sens to begin with so the wide open thresh is a small gain...but as I said you want sens first so I prefer the Omega for ME personally one less Knob...and I like the tek line for the simplicity it offer's..

I prefer a T2 to a f75 after extensive hunt's with both...T2 like's buttons a little bit better than a f75 ...F75 like's coins a little bit better than a T2....yet they are on the same freq..

Same with the Omega and F5 in way's

The tek line is more how should I say relic leaning in the deepest basic design programing...

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2013 07:01PM by Keith Southern.
April 28, 2013 12:47AM
I appreciate it Keith!!!! I am totally open-minded to have my knowledge increased. And what I also appreciate is the time you spent making that very informative post!!!! I appreciate it for real!!!! Happy Detecting!!! (Keith, can I use a 5 inch F75SE DD coil on my F5??? My friend has an 5 inch F75SE coil and I need it tomorrow.......IF it will not damage the F5)
April 28, 2013 01:41AM
Hey Kevin...It may of been known Knowledge by you anyway's but thought I would respond...

Thanks for the thank's....

I would not use the f75 5" on the F5 Kevin....it may work but it's not the right coil...

I can put the 5x10 tek coil on the f75 and it works but perfromance is diminished,...so soemthing is not quite right in the capacitance or something..

I would hat to harm a machine in some way by running the wrong coil...

Dave says it wont hurt them but not for sure I would do more than test them... He does say use the right coil...

Wonder how many people have the wrong coils plugged into their machine's?They need a permanent mark etched in them...Thats why I am leary of buying used coils...never know in the FT line if it's the right coil or not!

Keith
April 28, 2013 03:02AM
Okay, thanks Keith. Man, I have got several new places to hunt since I slowed down. They just sort of....found me? in a way. One place is in a real hot bed of Union campsite activity during the Union occupation of my town. Anyway, thanks for the answer.
April 28, 2013 06:26AM
how you want to test some new Vista and omega and the guy will do. as far as possible.
Maybe musket balls? or something else
April 29, 2013 01:11PM
Tests in the garden a lot of iron trash.
very small and thin silver coin denarius Albrecht Hohenzollern 1568-1573
Depth 4''

[www.youtube.com]