Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Relic Shovel Advice

Posted by Hungarian 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Relic Shovel Advice
February 25, 2013 05:08PM
Guys, I need some help. I have never used a relic shovel, only my am leonard soil knife. Could someone explain what I should be looking for, or can you recommend one that you like and the reasons why? Thanks
Re: Relic Shovel Advice
February 25, 2013 05:16PM
Predator-Model 80
Relic Pro (D)™

This is what I use in the woods, especially around trees. It will cut through the thickest roots (and boots) w no problem. It's heavy though, but thats one of the reasons it works so well.
Wish I would have gotten the T handle though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2013 05:50PM by Aaron.
February 25, 2013 07:19PM
Check out Predator Tools....they're all good....personal preference. gl and hh
February 25, 2013 07:46PM
I have the same shovel as Aaron -- except I have the Lesche version (38 D "king of spades" ). I love that shovel...cuts through anything, as Aaron said, and you can make a really nice, 4-5" diameter plug with it that -- when the soil is not "crumbly" -- will go right back into the hole for a neat, clean dig that "disappears" after you replace the plug.

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2013 12:11AM by steveg.
February 25, 2013 09:25PM
You really NEED to be careful w that shovel, as you can easily remove your toes w it!

I've chopped through 3/4-1" roots w no problem!
February 25, 2013 09:47PM
Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You really NEED to be careful w that shovel, as
> you can easily remove your toes w it!
>
> I've chopped through 3/4-1" roots w no problem!
Man that sounds like a awesome shovel!! What is the weight of this shovel? I may want to get one!!
February 25, 2013 09:54PM
I use the 36" T handled Lesche Ground Shark - cuts nice neat holes/plugs and you can cut through anything in your way!
February 25, 2013 10:01PM
February 25, 2013 10:05PM
Where you get the TNT?
February 25, 2013 10:12PM
Eric Holder, just change your last name to something Hispanic.
February 26, 2013 12:13AM
88junior -- I don't think the weight is that heavy at all...I never weighed mine, but I actually feel it is pretty light...

leggohead -- that was a FUNNY answer!

Steve
February 26, 2013 01:19AM
The Predator-Model 80
Relic Pro (D)™
Weighs about 5lbs, 39.5" long.
I'm a big boy, I don't mind the weight. This shovel is a BEAST, great for the yard too.
February 26, 2013 01:45AM
WW II entrenching tool...

I keep a supply of them ..Buy them in bulk...usually 15.00 bucks a piece....they will last about 3-4 years of heavy digging...

The right angle locked position is the best way to bust bad ground...foot shovels around here are about useless with all the rock's...and they wont cut root's either...

I have tried every digger I can get hold of...I have used the Etool for a quarter of century....preferably...

they are dated 1944 the one's I have and the handles are solid oak ...they are light weight I hang them on my shoulder at the right angle lock... of course my shoulder on my shirts stay filty stained ...my wife loves that...But in the woods I travel light use what works less weight, less fatique...

I can on a deep woods site check dozens and dozens of signals in iron with the shovel and move on quickly...I have hardly ever damaged a relic with a Etool..I have with knives and hand tool's with those you makes smaller holes ...wider the hole the less chance you have of hitting a target...

But this is all deep woods hunting...even though when I am done with a hunt you cant see where I have dug...I like to keep thing's neat for 2 reason's environment and also dont need people seeing where you have been digging LOL!!

Pinestraw sites are tuff to get it spread back out to keep from being noticed when closer to roadways and such...Around here people look for your truck and come in the woods looking for your dig holes...gotta stay sluethy!

Keiht
February 26, 2013 01:58AM
Keith,

A trick that I use (that I learned from my older brother) is to use a plasterer's brush. Once I have a hole filled in and tamped with my foot, I give the soil a quick couple of swipes with the brush. You simply cannot see any damage at all. Ever.
February 26, 2013 02:52AM
Thanks for the advice guys....looks like a predator once I get paid.
February 26, 2013 03:45AM
Sorta like Keith, I use a pick..and have a lesche on my side. But those Prdator shovels sure are sweet!
February 26, 2013 05:10AM
I have tried those predator shovel's...and if you have rock free dirt then they are fine but if you can't sink the shovel in the ground with your foot then trying to chop it in wont work too well..And they are heavy to lug way back inthe wood's...

they make a Predator tool if I had the free money I would buy it..its a copy of the world war 2 Etool...but it's like 125.00...but it would be the ultimate for me...[predatortools.com]

Good luck with whichever one you choose....

Keith
February 26, 2013 10:49AM
Keith - "if you have rock free dirt then they are fine but if you can't sink the shovel in the ground with your foot then trying to chop it in wont work too well..And they are heavy to lug way back inthe wood's..."

Agreed.

Yes, gravel stops it cold.

This shovel you have linked Keith is sold out and at $125! Times must not be as bad as I thought at least not for predator!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2013 10:53AM by Aaron.
February 26, 2013 11:03AM
I have a Predator Raven for woods and a Neptune for everywhere else. I chose these because of the wide foot kick.
The Neptune resembles the 6" x 8" blade of the wood handle spade that I used prior. Got tired of replacing the wood handles, as they would snap after being wet & then rotting.
They both have "T" handles to pack the dirt and the sod plug. The T handle is easier to carry vs the ball (stays between the fingers). I like the longer length shovels for standing straight when digging.
I don't notice the weight and you can pry hard with these shovels.
February 26, 2013 11:29AM
Keith, I have always used the same WWII shovels as you. Can you give a good sight to buy them now? In need of a so called new one.
February 26, 2013 11:30AM
Exactly why I dont like the ball handles either Ozzie.

Yes, the handle is good for packing that dirt down. (Thought I was the only one that did that.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2013 12:01PM by Aaron.
February 26, 2013 03:53PM
I like that brush routine as neatness counts and even in local parks for shallow holes a small paint brush really works depending on the ground area..

Lots of good ideas and unfortunately all the good ones that will do the job and hold up are heavy which is a minus...
February 26, 2013 04:21PM
Jeez, next we'll need a little red wagon to tote all the stuff around....LOL.
February 26, 2013 06:53PM
The blade type on the Predator has a lot to do with how it handles rocks.

I bought the Raven when it first came out and couldn't use it because of that...the curved C shaped blade would hit rocks and stop...good way to twist an ankle. The Piranha by Predator is a nice shovel as well....light weight and don't have the curved blade and does good in rocky ground.

I have the Model 45 folding tool Keith mentioned. It is in stock...[predatortools.com] but it is $125. I had one I used from 2001 to 2010 and there was nothing left of the blade where I had sharpened it so much over the years. I had chopped roots the size of my wrist in half with it, dug in rocks, used it to drive tent pegs while camping, and it held up that long. I got one exactly like it to replace it, and still have it.

Mostly though, I use the [predatortools.com] Hercules tool. It has a very small blade on it and I use it when I'm hunting in turf/pastures and such..I can dig holes better than guys using a trowel with that tool.
February 26, 2013 07:02PM
That's weird, on Keith's link its sold out...

On tempered tools,(predator, lesche diggers) what is the best way to sharpen with out taking out the "temper"?

On my model-80, I've been just nice bastard file to it.

Thanks

Aaron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2013 07:03PM by Aaron.
February 26, 2013 09:43PM
That's it Aaron, a good file will keep it cool vs a grinder.
February 26, 2013 09:45PM
I have just always used a file as well. File out the nicks and dings, and then repaint.
February 27, 2013 03:26AM
Wow guys....On my Predator shovel, and on my Lesche hand digger, I use a sidegrinder and stop before i see color in the metal. I spray with water often. But I have noticed. in the summer, and the ground is baked, no matter how keen I get that blade, I almost RUIN the soles of my Muck boots slamming them again the foot pads. I have to say...concerning the Predator, the foot pads have endured MUCH abuse.....ALOT of major pounding, and they are still tight and aside from the obvious dirt, still look as good as new. That was a GOOD buy!!! Now, wjs, Bill, a member here, and a great one, uses a hand tool in his videos that look great!!! It has a wider blade than the lesche but it cuts through the root mass with evident ease. Maybe he'll chime in and tell what the name of it is. He told me once, and I forgot.
February 27, 2013 04:23AM
Predator-Model 80
Relic Pro (T)™

This shovel will do the job for you in the toughest of conditions. I got the "T" handle version. South Texas has some of the hardest, driest soils around and I have lots of rocks in my soil too. I prefer the Model 80 over my Model 58 "Little eagle" because the 80 has a flat end which makes it easier for me to get the dirt out of the hole. The 58 has a pointed end but penetrates better at times. These digger shovels are tough and I have yet to bend one of them.