Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Iron And The Vista Gold

Posted by morelicdetector 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Iron And The Vista Gold
March 02, 2013 02:43AM
Gotta dig those good high tone iron signals!! Horseshoes or not, there are good iron relics out there. Here is a key and a rear sight off of a Enfield Rifle.....Mark

Re: Iron And The Vista Gold
March 02, 2013 02:53AM
Love that key!
March 02, 2013 03:05AM
Thats what I am talking about Mark!!

Very very nice...

The Gold does offer the unique ability to size the iron up and the tighter iron low/high rolls can alert you to such fine treasure's...

lots of relics out there to dig that are non ferrous....

That's is avery nice Key for sure!!!!! and they enfield sight super nice...

I am very happy for you...thats the type stuff that we overlook everyday...

Cant tell you the last time I dug a real old skeleton key such as your's.....but they are out there in abundance..

Never figured out along the way were the relic hunters were not supposed to dig iron.......? I think it all started with the earlier detectors offering better disc then the 1266 chasing all those deep nail's that hunters became anti-iron....

Now we are starting to reap benefits of the relics under our feet just a few inches deep that have been embarassingly overlooked all these year's..

I had this conversation a few years back....Look at the old timers collections form the 60's and 70's they were full of unique artifact's made of iron...then the 80's 90's new millenium and the iron was non existant...

Time to get back to real artifact retieval!!!!

Top iron retriever's using disc mode right now

DEUS
GMP
DTVG
AT-PRO/GOLD

Get a Tejon with split tone and it could join the list quickly..

F.T. machine's dont have the proper full audio iron report to qualify on a continuous bases...

Keith
March 02, 2013 03:10AM
Congrats on the great finds!!! I have half a key like that but yours looks great!!! And the rear site is awesome too!!! Good job!
March 02, 2013 03:13AM
Now go find the OTHER END of that key!!!!! ... and that may be the REAL treasure!
March 02, 2013 03:13AM
Anyone got an idea how old the key is? It was found about 50' from the Enfield sight. It was in a camp that I hope to go back to soon!!!......Mark
March 02, 2013 03:19AM
Its old Mark...

I would put it Civil War or before.

Just my stab at it but it is older than 1880's style I do believe..

Keith
March 02, 2013 03:21AM
Man that's a COOL key!
Congrats!
March 02, 2013 03:34AM
That was last weekend in Missouri, 40 degrees, 2 inches of snow and the ground was frozen an inch deep, boy are ate up with it or not!!!!!

March 02, 2013 05:37AM
Thats the DT GOLD doing the magic right there brothers!
March 02, 2013 06:42AM
Great finds! Congrats! I found one last year at the beach with the old green patina. Held it up and thought, now how in the world did that get here? And just then a small boy came up to me with his hand out like it was his, about 4 years old. So I gave it to him and he turned and ran back to his parents. His dad said thanks that his son had brought it over with them from England and that they were on vacation. He had lost it early that morning and had been upset about it all day. One of his favorite possessions. Made one child very happy and one old detector man happy to see him happy.
March 02, 2013 01:32PM
Nice find Mark. I love finding those old skeleton keys (a variation of them are still typical in Germany actually). Always feel like I will find a key to ??? after finding a key detecting. winking smiley
March 02, 2013 01:50PM
Mark I seen a drawing of Black Beard the pirate with that same key hanging from his neck!! Just kidding!! but I am thinking like Tom find the treasure box that key fits it may have civil war gold or possibly pirates booty in it!! It's definetly Civil War age or older!! Great find either way!!! Congrats!!
March 02, 2013 06:49PM
....finds like this really make your immagination run wild !!......NICE FINDS !!.....Jim
March 02, 2013 11:58PM
Hey Mark I dug through acouple fo websites last night looking at old key's....

seems about 1880 or so the keys started getting a double hump design where the loop is on back ...and the earlier even 1700 style had the type loop you have...I would think that key is most surely pre civil war..

I remember my grandparents house keys were skeleton's but they were made in about 1910 or so on the house and they were double hump design and smaller and different more wider teeth.your's look like some I saw for the pre civil war era...

large trunks used that type too! If you got it out of a camp I bet it's off a travel trunk like officers used...

Keith
March 03, 2013 01:22AM
Thanks For The Info Keith!!!!.....Mark

Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Mark I dug through acouple fo websites last
> night looking at old key's....
>
> seems about 1880 or so the keys started getting a
> double hump design where the loop is on back
> ...and the earlier even 1700 style had the type
> loop you have...I would think that key is most
> surely pre civil war..
>
> I remember my grandparents house keys were
> skeleton's but they were made in about 1910 or so
> on the house and they were double hump design and
> smaller and different more wider teeth.your's look
> like some I saw for the pre civil war era...
>
> large trunks used that type too! If you got it out
> of a camp I bet it's off a travel trunk like
> officers used...
>
> Keith