Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Vista Gold and Micro gold jewelry...

Posted by Anonymous User 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anonymous User
Vista Gold and Micro gold jewelry...
March 06, 2013 10:21PM
Hello.

I got my Vista Gold yesterday and did my own micro gold jewelry testing. The machine did real good.

I emailed Carter and asked him why everyone here was saying the machine is not good for micro gold jewelry???

I subscribe to their channel and I just got a notice that they posted a new video.

[www.youtube.com]
Re: Vista Gold and Micro gold jewelry...
March 07, 2013 12:49AM
I dont think everyone said that the VG is not a micro hunter. Only a few have tried it.
I dont think everyone slams the Vista machines here either. You have overstated this a few times now.

After reading Toms post again , he said the GB 2 is still the trump card. Simple as that.
Use it if you want but there are better micro hunters out like the . GB2.

Some say the GB Pro and AT Pro can hunt the wet salt beach ..
You can use them , and i do for a quick spin .
But if your going for a home run bring a multi freq machine for that, and i do

Up here in the summer, just for fun , thy run snowmobiles across OPEN WATER yes thy do.
I prefer a boat. .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2013 12:58AM by gman.
March 07, 2013 01:21AM
Geeez...really? So hunt microjewerly with it. Nobody said it won't. I'm pretty sure Tom D. Is a pioneer in that type of detecting, and basically he said its not its strongest suit. Keith and others said its not your best choice to hunt parks, but it can. Dont mean to be a jerk, but what exactly is your agenda???
March 07, 2013 01:51AM
Hey Barry, opps err,,,,Love2detect....are you sure you don't sell Deeptech?
March 07, 2013 02:47AM
lol.. No Aaron he just bought one.....
Anonymous User
March 07, 2013 05:13PM
Your not being a jerk...I'm trying to figure out agenda's too...and yes someone said it won't:

Tom writes:

"Just finished 'micro-jewelry' hunting & testing with the Vista Gold. It is not a micro-jewelry hunter. One of the many tests performed: Using a test-standard single post gold earring..... and the Vista Gold will detect the target at less than 1".... with a very broken signal...... "
" The Vista Gold is a extreme niche detector....... and micro-jewelry is not it."
"In summation, the Vista Gold is exclusively a relic hunting platform (more specifically... in carpets of nails). Yes, it could be used for prospecting ... and perform very well. (on small nuggets..... but not micro-jewelry gold)."

It either hits micro gold jewelry at 3"+ or it won't hit it at an inch. The video shows it hitting over 3" - who is right?

No need to say anymore...

deathray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Geeez...really? So hunt microjewerly with it.
> Nobody said it won't. I'm pretty sure Tom D. Is a
> pioneer in that type of detecting, and basically
> he said its not its strongest suit. Keith and
> others said its not your best choice to hunt
> parks, but it can. Dont mean to be a jerk, but
> what exactly is your agenda???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2013 05:15PM by love2detect.
March 07, 2013 05:24PM
Alright,,,who's the wise-guy with the "agenda" around here?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2013 05:24PM by Aaron.
March 07, 2013 05:36PM
NOW go compare it..... head-to-head..... to a Gold Bug-2. Eyes will open. Epiphany will ensue. "Understanding" will prevail.

((( love2detect....... you are a new member,,,,, post-BarryNY .... and you seem to be exceptionally/explicitly/solely/only/exclusively biased towards the Vista. Hmmmmm ))).
March 07, 2013 07:34PM
Love2detect ,

As I've said time and time again ....".Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear "...... There are all types of soils , and conditions that exist everywhere .......Tom can't get a decent GB down there in Fla .....That right there tells me that his results will be different than mine ..... A lot of detectors that have been tested down there react totally different than machines that run in other area's ........Take what's said by others , and DO YOUR OWN TESTS IN YOUR AREA !!......If they come out better for you , that's great !!..... My results come out different from Toms results .... MIne come out closer to Keiths results than Toms .....I am about 30 miles north of NYC , and hitting the dry sand , I can hit a fine wire gold ankle bracelet down about 2 - 2 1//2 inches on ANY of the NYC beaches .....This is in DRY sand conditions ...This is something that I was not even concerned with running the Vista Gold .....This was an added bonus .....The way this machines handles masking is nothing short of INCREDIBLE ....This is its strong suit for ME ....... I can't , nor will I speak for anyone else ..... I've come up many times with different results than others have with many different machines .....This does not make them wrong , nor does it make me rigtht .....They just end up wtih different results for the area where they are ..... Thanks for reporthing your findings ... I reported in another thread that if there were machines that found targets any smaller than the Vista Gold , that I didn't want to own them ...... I stand by that today !!...... Everyone else can have the micro jewelry , and the grains of gold ......I'm goin after the BIG STUFF !!...... I'm not a MICRO hunter !!....but this Vista Gold continues to blow me away with the targets that I pull and how small they are !!.....Jim
Anonymous User
March 07, 2013 07:42PM
Thanks synthnut for the info.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2013 07:49PM by love2detect.
March 07, 2013 09:35PM
Here is another example of the right detector coming together with the right user and getting excellent results. No detector fits with everyone. Nor do we all have the same detecting goals (thank goodness!)

For me, as much as I have to acknowledge the Minelab E-Trac is a first rate detector, I have tried repeatedly to work with this machine and never could make it come together for me. I always end up giving it back to the owner with my thanks for letting me try.

Better it ends up in the hands of someone who truly appreciates it, regardless fo what anyone else thinks.

I think thats true of any detector out there.
March 07, 2013 09:39PM
Glad Tom responded. I was going to add please be aware that when Tom states it is not a micro jewelry hunter, he is comparing it to the GB 2 and his specific requirements for micro jewelry hunting (ie, small earrings, earring backs, pieces of gold chain, etc.) He is NOT using the GB 2 to hunt for the bigger gold targets.

The Vista Gold can probably hunt micro jewelry ( but you have to define what that means),,,but not at the level a GB 2 can, and for good reason. The GB 2 is a NUGGET hunter and hence is much more sensitive to small gold than the Vista.

Tell you what, after what I came upon today, I wish I had a Vista Gold. NJ beach with a small front loader dumping sand from under the boardwalk out onto the dry sand. TONS of coins among LOTS of iron, both big and small. Of course I had my trusty CZ6a with 8 inch coil( not the best unit for that application but that is my number one main set up for beach hunting from the suds to the dry when I need to use just one unit for the day), but did manage about 100 clad coins, a few wheaties, a merc dime and a .925 chain about 28 inches long. As I was hunting I was thinking a unit like the Deus or Vista would be perfect for that type of hunting because I know there are a lot of coins still there masked by iron that the CZ can't deal with on the same level as a Deus or Vista.

But if that guy was dumping that sand into the water/wet sand guess what...the CZ would probably beat both the Deus and Vistas there. Horses for courses as usual.

Timing is everything in this world, and me, my hunting partner and 2 other guys were there when this was happening and we all did well so it always goes to show that no matter what, targets have to be where you are to get them.
March 07, 2013 10:21PM
That is so cool when the machines come out and scape off a layer .......I hit a a beach like that , and it was like going back in time .......You had to really work at it to find any newer coins .....Every coin I hit was a Buffalo Nickel , or a Wheatie or a Merc ....It was GREAT !!.....With everytthing scraped like that , the AT PRo would have been fun !!....Jim
March 07, 2013 10:26PM
Jim, the only problem with this area was those darn arcade tokens. If they were quarters, I could buy a new AT Pro !
March 07, 2013 10:45PM
I am sure the DTVG is very good on the small stuff..

I think Tom even said it's as good as the F75 on small stuff so that out to tell you that its running with the f75 ...

I personally don't like machine that chase after teeny tiny object's in my dirt...p caps are about as small as I want for relic hunting..And it loves those..

If the DTVG ran like the Gold Bug 2 I am not sure it would be worth using in iron trash...

I think the 25kHz is being used in analog form to get the reactivity up...

The DTVG strong suit first and foremost is unmasking and it does that better than anything built here in the states..sad but true...

This machine seems to show different performance in different areas' of the United State's...

I see great depth..I have a video where it shows a melted piece of lead coming at substantial depth..And I have repeated it over and over on low conductors like toe taps and such past a foot...

Yet in my dirt I dont chase the tiny buckshot like the Tejon does..

But it seems up north its jumping on the tiny wire type gold...

But I think those may be by product's of the real aim and that is the unmasking is happening everywhere, as reports are starting to come in from the ghost town's out west also seeing the unmasking first and foremost..

The main thing is get it and get out with it and learn it and enjoy it...You will dig stuff if you use it for intended purposes..

I am just glad people are pulling stuff out of iron with it and without digging nails while doing it...

maybe the other manufacturers will follow suit!

If enough people here in the States show we require unmasking in our iron like they do in the old county...[Our confederate buttons and seated coins are just as valuable as the roman artifact's of Europe]..Then there's no telling what we can see..GMP's might even consider disarming the wireless headphones ....

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2013 03:49AM by Keith Southern.
March 07, 2013 11:52PM
If enough people here in the States show we require unmasking in our iron like they do in the old county...[Our confederate buttons and seated coins are just as valuable as the roman artifact's or Europe]..Then there's no telling what we can see..GMP's might even consider disarming the wireless headphones ....

I for one would have thought that some of the larger detector companie's would have already jumped on some sort of masking inclussion that really worked like the Vista's a long time ago ......ML attempted to with the Iron Mask On/Off on the Sovereign , but was not all that effective , at least as far as I'm concerned ...... YMMV ....... I really don't think that these companies take our community seriously enough ...... We are just a bunch of people with Hobbies !!...... THey are more into security devices with bigger fish to fry contracts ...... I have always theought that we are nothing more to these companies than an afterthought ..... Most all the innovatons that have come down the pike as far as better coils and out of the box detectors have all come from overseas....... I can only think that the compainies here either don't have the engineers with the no how, or they just don't care ......????...... Maybe we're all still buying enough rebadged machines to make them a good buck and they're happy enough with that !!......after all , most money that needs to be spent by these compaines is R&D ....Why bother if they don't have to ......JIm
March 08, 2013 04:00AM
Hey Jim...

One thing about the iron un-maskers coming out of Europe is these builders are avid detectorist also....They are having to build there own because non are available..

Some of the best designs will happen like that..

Look at Minelab ...nothing worked in that dirt till Bruce decided to make something work...

Look at Nautilus, Tyndall wanted a true relic machine but non were available like he wanted so He built his own....

the Garrett AT-PRO is built by Brent Weaver who also enjoys hunting and you can tell in his design He is in TUNE...I have a feeling Mr. Garrett held Him back on some of the design...I bet the next one will be a whole lo better after seeing the AT series take off like it has...

Hopefully we are turning a corner ...little by little things happen for us ...

We will know on the newer offerings coming out of the States in the next couple of years if they have their finger on the pulse of the more demanding hunter's...

I know what I want in a design and if the newer offerings do not have it listed on the brochure not sure its worth opening the box up for another rehash..

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2013 04:43AM by Keith Southern.
March 08, 2013 04:16AM
Couldn't agree more Keith.
March 08, 2013 12:30PM
If more detectorists would stop buying into the rebadged, and the stupid add on's that come down the pike , perhaps these compnies will take note ...... I have never been fond of Garrett machnes until the AT Pro came out ..... When I saw the extended iron range , and how well they had the discrimination set up for it , and how they set things up so I could turn the iron audio on and off , I knew I was in for a treat .....I did not have to even discuss whether or not the machine would work well in Saltwater .....It's a single freq machine , and we know how that story goes .....I was surprised that it worked AT ALL on wet saltwater beaches !!.....That was a bonus as far as I was concerned ...... Working in iron is where it really excels ...... I can remember my partner who told me a long time ago " You'll get past wanting these machines that go deeper and deeper .....You'll be looking for a machine that will deal with the masking issues that happen on EVERY site " ........He was SO right !!..... If you can't get thru the top layer , how are you gonna know whats REALLY down below !!......These newer machines are addressing these issues .... It's not like masking is something new .....It's just that some companies have the foresight to realize the importance to us as the detecting public ......Good on them !!.....Perhaps the other compaines will wake up or get out of the way .....Jim

My challenge to the detctor companies ........Let's have a multi freq analog machine that can handle Saltwater and Freshwater , that can deal with masking issues !!..... I'll make it easy on ya ....You dont even have to include a meter ....Jim
March 08, 2013 12:41PM
The U.S. Mfr's are indeed watching/listening/witnessing and 'measuring'.

When major historical discoveries are being made on a much more frequent basis...... and Euro detecting sales/markets are booming beyond historical highs........ archaeologists are more involved..... more detecting T.V. shows........... and a host of other 'customer demand'............... the Mfr's are moreso 'aware/astute'.
March 08, 2013 01:17PM
Tom,
GOOD TO HEAR !!!.....Thanks, Jim
March 08, 2013 02:25PM
Perhaps we will soon (as in...under a year) see the results of their watching/listening/witnessing and measureing.
March 08, 2013 04:32PM
Ok, you guys are killing me with the vista gold! I have an F75 SE Black, and a Tek G2 (I have the 13" detech coil for both detectors). Basically I can't get over the fear of losing depth--I'm sure a classic insecurity that I need some serious coaxing to get over. Hence the G2 sits in the car while I plug away at deeper iffys with the F75. However I hunt many sites that are infested with iron and watching videos recently with a nickel next to a 'big' nail ((almost touching) at 6" depth I realize I'm losing signals like that with the F75 that I'm sure the G2 would hit but I know (because the video shows it) the vista gold can hit.... I'm also a fan of silver and I'm wondering if the Vista gold is deeper than the G2 on silver.... Even with the 13" detech coil on the G2 I am then decreasing its separation abilities, even though im increasing depth, so I may lose the iron discrim I was looking for... Ahhh decisions! I appreciate your feedback guys!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2013 04:34PM by D-Tone.
March 08, 2013 05:53PM
D Tone funny one. I have the same machines as u minus the 13 for the F75. and enjoy both in there spots.

Reading what out there so far, i would grab one if i had hot soil but mine is on the mild side
and not sure there would be much improvement from what i have already.
I will keep reading though.
March 08, 2013 06:26PM
Thanks G-man! Cool you have the same machinessmiling smiley Its funny the F75 with the detech 13" is just ridiculous, I won't use it again until I'm in a plowed field, I'm here digging craters in parks for tiny scraps of aluminum lol, I had to put the stock back on which is plenty deep. I also noticed the 13" just makes small objects mainly "louder" which I believe Tom mentioned before in his article.
As for the G2, G-man, how deep is a dime (in the ground) with that 13"? And does the separation and discrim hold up? Like I said, either she's sitting in the car or my fiancée uses itsad smiley I need to bring her out when I'm in those nail beds!
March 08, 2013 10:48PM
I have the 5x10 and 13 for the GB ,Both great coils. Because i can Max sens most of the time even with the 13 i dont have to drop sens down.
In one quick tesT with 13 i got 1 1/2 inches over the 11 DD coil. in dry sand.

As chatty as the F75 can be , anything bigger than stock would make you drop sens down thus loosing some of the depth increase.
The 5 inch and 11 are a great combo for me