Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

To Keith and all others, a little advise on my Vista Gold...

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
To Keith and all others, a little advise on my Vista Gold...
March 15, 2013 02:14AM
I was at a Civil War era plantation house this week and found so much flat iron, farm equipment, plow points at great depth and large aluminum beer can pieces at all depths.. What should I have done to cut out trash? Cut sensitivity ( I cut it back from 45 to 30 ) or increase discrimination a great deal, I did try but no setting worked well. I finally pulled out my Cz6a and found three coins in the yard. No problems in the fields surrounding the property other than the occasional aluminum can slaw. Seems the yard needs a park type machine ( something with a meter or VDI ). Thanks...Stuart
Re: To Keith and all others, a little advise on my Vista Gold...
March 15, 2013 02:37AM
Ahh the Achilles heel of just having Iron disc...

Choose your sites wisely ..Its an ancient site machine that work's best in previously worked to death site's..i.e. small nail's remaining...

There's nothing wrong with the detector.It's doing what it is supposed to do,

To get the unmasking effect of the machine you have it set to just reject nail's..all iron bigger than nails wills tart to break through..

Again choose your sites wisely...

I hunted a house site today and dug a lot of iron..I mean a lot of it...More than most would want to...

Hers a rule of thumb on the DTVG...in a hunted out site I seem to dig 20-25 pieces of iron for every non ferrous target...

If you dont dig at least a dozen pieces of iron for every piece of non ferrous you are not using the machine to the fullest potential...

with the right headphones and a tuned ear some quite large iron can be id'd...Edge pass rejection will work well on the DTVG

That being hear a large high tone pull to the edge of the target and sweep and listen for the tone to roll...that's iron..But it could be relic iron could it not?

one thing about the DTVG though is a tight sweet high is not iron 95% of the time...its the weird round and also large iron that will catch it out the most .

Do notice though you do not dig nail's with it...

If you have a site void of everything but nails no large iron you still need to have a ratio....good to bad find's....what to do...you need to dig bent nails...right angle nails...Cutting edge...take no prisoner's type hunting...

this machine is just a tool..It will unlock the right spot's...It has an exact disc circuit...if you had that disc circuit working in pulltab range,,, full turn just through tabs think of all the other thing's you would find while getting rid of one exact style of pulltab prevalent in the area...

Thats what I cant stress enough..it a site specific machine..

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2013 02:39AM by Keith Southern.
March 15, 2013 03:15AM
Thanks Keith. I understand what you are saying. Just so hard to dig on this site that I think I lost patients with my Deeptech and went back to my comfort zone, the Cz6a. Still a great machine and the id just allowed me to pull up any target that did not register iron or silver dollar and have a chance of being a keeper.Getting confidence in the machine I am using is all important. I know what the Cz is telling me and with time my Gold will do the same.Thanks.
March 15, 2013 01:35PM
Now that post right there is a hidden little nugget.

"Here's a rule of thumb on the DTVG...in a hunted out site I seem to dig 20-25 pieces of iron for every non ferrous target...

If you dont dig at least a dozen pieces of iron for every piece of non ferrous you are not using the machine to the fullest potential..."

In my opinion, a machine that is hailed as great for working in iron...would mean that the machine makes you dig zero to very little iron while letting you pop out non ferrous objects from within iron. Digging AT LEAST a dozen pieces of iron for every non ferrous object is NOT a machine that is working great in iron!!!!! I've been doing extensive research and reading between the lines on this detector in hopes of getting a machine to get back in it a little bit. From what I've read from those that have owned them (and sold them for that very reason...lots of iron) I can now totally rule the Gold out of contention. The Deus was a detector you could take in and around an old home site and only dig iron if you wanted to dig iron. It was uncanny and picking non ferrous objects out of it; without having to dig at least a dozen pieces of iron. That's what I call being great in iron. Otherwise you'd have the same results with a PI machine or Blisstool....just balance them and go dig everything and hope for the best.
March 15, 2013 02:42PM
I have just replaced my first set of batteries on my dtvg. About 25 hrs with boost on almost all the time. I am starting to get comfortable and confident with it. As keith mentioned it is not a detector for sites with a lot of modern trash, new sites with a lot of thin flat iron , large iron and misc non ferrous junk. It will drive you crazy digging trash. Again as keith says the AT pro can pick out the good from the junk and be much more fun. At my hunted out old sites I have recovered a dozen or so interesting iron relics, a few small flat buttons small buckles and various non ferrous pieces. I can tell iron by size, tone and tone roll about 90% of the time. Gradually I am starting to hear differences in the crispness of the various shapes and sizes of ferrous targets. Higher conductive targets are sweeter and round targets are crisper. Shotgun shell brass are becoming recognizabe but the smaller ones sound just like buttons. The dtvg will find some good finds in hunted out sites. It is not a magic but I am starting to enjoy it the more I use it. All of the hunted out sites have been under or near high power transmission line and the dtvg can hunt with very little emi. Only the AT Pro and my G-2 are stable at these sites.

Dalpal
March 15, 2013 04:57PM
Daniel...

The machine when set up to just reject nail's will dig other iron bigger than nail's if you choose but yuo do it knowingly through audio the same as the DEUS...

It the sites that are down to nails where you dig no nail's and pull stuff out of nails other machines struggle with..

Use it on site's with just nail's for the ultimate experience..but site that have a lot of bigger iron is discernable with the DTVG but that's the iron that need's to be removed...

A railroad spike a split horsehose etc...you know it's bigger iron but IF YOU want to remove it for better unmasking it's you option with this platform.

Its a tool for a site...too many detectors don't give you the exactness to remove iron surgically...IF a person runs the DEUS in iron and does not dig iron that his choosing but if you systematically remove the iron you wan to without digging the 1000's of nails then you will unmask better...

The DEUS on Goldmaxx Power program and the DTVG will behave in iron almost eerily identical...

But it's how far do you want to take the unmasking ...I like to take it down to as low as feasible without having to remove all the nails to increase my odd's IF a site dictate's such...

I can run the DTVG safely in iron and find a target's without digging iron just like a DEUS or GMP...the DTVG has the unique signatures of large iron like tone roll and such .

But I LIKE TO PUSH IT....But YOU/ANYONE don't have to and it will still unmask a bit better than say a G2 (Illustrative purposes only).

Keith