Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Best Modern Detector that doesn't False on Deep Iron?

Posted by go-rebels 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Best Modern Detector that doesn't False on Deep Iron?
March 16, 2013 12:12PM
What is your opinion of the best detector that can be purchased 'new' today that does not high-tone false on deep square nails, rusty bent nails and other small, sharp iron objects? I've gotten very good at discerning what my CZ3D is telling me but the CZ can be a bit tiresome working in a nail infested site. I wasn't too fond of how the Etrac performed under high manual sensitivities either; that unit would false in a 270 degree arc when pushing it for depth. I'd also like to limit this question to units that have at least three tone options, that is units that can discern (at least) between iron, mid conductors and high conductors.

This question is not the same as asking what unit is best at recovering non-ferrous amongst ferrous (although it is related) as that question has been discussed here at length. I'm only interested in the performance attribute related to iron falsing.

Thx -
Re: Best Modern Detector that doesn't False on Deep Iron?
March 16, 2013 03:06PM
Sorex russianmade. Using different audio combos and the graph 99 percent you won't get fooled it will give a target signature in graphic display. Also affordable about 800$ shipped from Moscow. It will in my humble opinion develope a guick following and will prove aitself a force to rekon with!!! My2 cents worth happy hunting
March 16, 2013 04:44PM
I think about all of the good deep tone ID machines at present will false some on deep pointed iron/nails when pushed to their limits for depth.I am starting to think more good targets can be located per day at many sites if one backs off on the power a bit so that machines will run more stable with better /more accurate ID. I have been one to always push a machine to the edge of stability or beyond while hunting with guys who run in auto sensitivity. At the end of the day I have coins from slightly greater depths than they do but they seem to do just as well overall because they are not fighting mental fatigue all day from all the extra noise and burning daylight digging so many iffy targets.

I dig a lot more targets per day going after those fringe targets while they cruise along digging a far better coin to trash ratio. However, ever now and then I dig a real deep iffy signal that they say they would never consider digging with their machine set up when cross checking that turns out to be a real good old coin and makes it worth all the extra digging/noise.

The CTX has been very good in the nails except when the soil is totaly saturated and then the deep nails start to sound off a bit more .
March 16, 2013 04:54PM
Sovereign...but it won't fair well in the carpet of nails.
March 16, 2013 05:18PM
Silverhound-

Would you mind sharing your CTX settings in heavy iron please?

Thanks

Aaron
March 16, 2013 05:27PM
I got an X-Terra 705 a few months ago, and bought a Coiltek 3kHz 6 inch "Digger' coil for it. That set up has done a fantastic job finding silver and copper in nail ridden areas I have hunted. I like it better than the E-Trac when hunting nail infested sites, but I am now experimenting with the E-Trac in two tone ferrous mode, with the Sunray X-5 coil.

The 705 still has a faster recovery speed and to me I can ID deeper iron with it better. It also, in my opinion, discriminates out iron a bit better with that small Digger coil. That coil is more of a silver and copper hunter, but the 705 is cool because you can fit it with one of the high frequency coils out there and it turns into a gold jewelry and relic unit.

Really cool machine in my opinion and a super coin hunter.
March 16, 2013 09:24PM
Very good post Ray.

Thx!
March 17, 2013 03:54PM
If you are talking about heavy iron as a carpet of nails then I go to TTF with a wide open screen except the left hand 3/4 of very top line disced out to eliminate most of the high nail/iron falsing.Auto sens. for the most part as depth is not my main goal in heavy nails but rather a more stable unit that unmasks the goodies from the nails.When the conditions are very bad I go to the 6" coil and it is like a laser beam in the nails and also gets great depth as it hits my 9" silver dime in my test garden.
March 17, 2013 04:05PM
Yes, I've used TTF w the Etrac also, it is effective in iron.

I was however referring to the CTX though and what your settings in iron are?

Thanks

Aaron
March 17, 2013 05:38PM
Sovereign for me but you'll miss far more than you'll recover in iron.
March 17, 2013 07:57PM
Hi Silverhound, Are you using high trash or ferrous coin with those settings?? I also use that 6" coil with the 3030. It is a great little coil with exceptional depth!! Thanks for sharing your settings.

silverhound Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you are talking about heavy iron as a carpet of
> nails then I go to TTF with a wide open screen
> except the left hand 3/4 of very top line disced
> out to eliminate most of the high nail/iron
> falsing.Auto sens. for the most part as depth is
> not my main goal in heavy nails but rather a more
> stable unit that unmasks the goodies from the
> nails.When the conditions are very bad I go to the
> 6" coil and it is like a laser beam in the nails
> and also gets great depth as it hits my 9" silver
> dime in my test garden.
March 18, 2013 06:15AM
There isnt one.
March 18, 2013 09:14AM
The CTX does a nice job until you try to run it too hot. Then it will start falsing in the iron. Usually a sweep from a different direction will show that it is indeed iron, but running hot will slow you down with all the double checking. I find that auto plus runs pretty gosh darn smooth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2013 09:15AM by goodmore.
March 18, 2013 12:53PM
goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The CTX does a nice job until you try to run it
> too hot. Then it will start falsing in the iron.
> Usually a sweep from a different direction will
> show that it is indeed iron, but running hot will
> slow you down with all the double checking. I find
> that auto plus runs pretty gosh darn smooth.

Wells said, once you crank things up it will false more. In particlular if the ground is wet then it gets really tricky. I wouldn't say it is that much better than the E-Trac in my ground though. I think they are both comparable, at least I didn't dig much iron with either machine at all, and the iron I dug were those iffy signals.

The Omega isn't quite as deep as the E-Trac/CTX but also is GREAT at ID'ing iron, never dug it as well.

Albert