Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Can you believe what this guy did to His Capped Bust Dime (VIDEO)

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Can you believe what this guy did to His Capped Bust Dime (VIDEO)
March 17, 2013 01:41AM
[www.youtube.com]

It had some awesome patina on it...But oh well it's is to do what He like's...

I would of loved to of had that patinated coin lying in a display case.....

Keith
Re: Can you believe what this guy did to His Capped Bust Dime (VIDEO)
March 17, 2013 02:09AM
It's obviously his to do with as he pleases, but he turned a $200 coin into a $50 coin. Here's a nice one too: [www.usrarecoininvestments.com]

Whatever...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2013 02:14AM by go-rebels.
March 17, 2013 03:25AM
I thought it looked better w the patina on it.

Oh well...
March 17, 2013 04:11AM
Holy xoxo Batman!

It certainly was worth a LOT more before he "dipped" it...

Some peoples kids!
March 17, 2013 04:23AM
There's a guy out here who yall probably know...he's been detecting forever and has found 14 gold coins. He 'cleans' every dang coin he finds , key date or not. Drives me crazy, but like he says its his finds.
March 17, 2013 06:28AM
Fourteen gold coins, you sure about that?

What denominations?
March 17, 2013 01:42PM
He pronouces it Caped instead of Capped. It just shows how out of touch he is with the world of numismatics.

He goes detecting, finds coins, looks them up in his book and for him, that's the extent of the hobby.

I think this kind of thing happens all too often. If it weren't for his video, we'd never know.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2013 07:06PM by Badger in NH.
March 17, 2013 02:06PM
It WAS a beauty.
March 17, 2013 02:09PM
Absolutely sure about that Aaron. This is the California (kinzli) forum. Guy is Tom Tanner and he just found number 14 about a month ago.
March 17, 2013 03:28PM
Yup , been reading his stuff for years . I think he found 10 or more were a building fell in San fran quake
March 17, 2013 04:12PM
I know a guy that collects Morgan dollars in Unc. condition since the 70's. He uses silver polish on every one of them. I told him any value they had, is now gone except for the silver content. He said he doesn't care, he just like to see them all shiny.
March 17, 2013 08:28PM
Gman, that's another Tom...and it was over 20. Pretty incredible huh! Tanners have all been single finds I believe.
March 17, 2013 09:09PM
I don't clean all. I do clean some; I don't plan to sell them; I like the looks of the cleaned ones.
March 17, 2013 09:23PM
You're right Ray, Tom Collins found the cache of gold coins in San Francisco and Tom Tanner found them individually. Tom Collins has found his share of individual gold coins too but the cache was a special find.

Two great Ca. hunters, your share will surface as well Ray give it time you're hitting the right places.

Paul (Ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2013 09:25PM by Old California.
March 17, 2013 09:31PM
Thanked for sharing Keith,

I think we all one time or another goof with cleaning a good coin, I've made my share of rmistakes none the less its making the find that counts. The joy of digging a special find is priceless, nothing can erase those memorial moments etched in our mind forever.

Paul (Ca)
March 17, 2013 11:28PM
Hey Paul, been talking with El a little bit. Thinking us 3 should hit a relic site. If your up for it, make plans with El and fill me in. I need about 2 weeks notice if possible. Hope to see yall soonRay
March 18, 2013 07:01PM
His coin came out of the ground in beautiful condition.

I’ve had around 2 silver 1800s dimes that came out of the ground in similar condition (1887 and 1892), and wound up cleaning both also.

It might be from force of habit, from cleaning lots of those mercury and Roosevelt dimes. That nice and shiny new coin look. But if you know a coin is valuable, you really should think twice about cleaning.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil