Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Curious about the DeepTech machines and 'tests'..

Posted by Peacemaker 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Curious about the DeepTech machines and 'tests'..
March 27, 2013 07:58AM
I dunno', maybe I need to buy one of these or something... I keep seeing reviews of these things by the 'same people' and I haven't been able to come to a deduction regarding who's telling me the straight goods and who's not. Seeing is believing, but I'm also seeing some VERY BAD results with machines (CTX 3030, DEUS XP, etc...) that I KNOW should be able to 'see' some of the things that the DTVS and DTVG always seem to...

Here is an example of what I mean... [www.youtube.com]

I'm not saying that the link above is a bunch of bull, but I seriously wonder about the other machines ability to see this same target. My experience detecting with users of those other machines has me scratching my head. I noticed that the there was another very recent post regarding the 'Blisstool' and it's ability which was a bit of an eye-opener (video is apparently in the 'suggested videos' on the right as well...) and it got me thinking about these tests that were being done. Are these things the 'real deal' or are the machines being chosen for a reason? It makes me wonder what could possibly be 'different' about these 'low-cost' VLF machines that make them so superior to the newest Technology (FBS2) and Steroid infused VLF machines like the Blisstool.

Obviously I'm a bit doubtful, but if this detector IS the real deal I'll be one of the first to jump on the 'Band-Wagon'~!

(Love this Forum BTW...)

Cheers,
Re: Curious about the DeepTech machines and 'tests'..
March 27, 2013 10:49AM
When the guy in the video wants a good signal from a certain unit, notice he doesn't take a full normal 'in the field swing' on the target, but wiggles the coil over it.
Not putting down any machines.
March 27, 2013 11:42AM
Lets just say when a person is testing a detector, and knows where a target resides, and has a bias towards a machine ( which is not a bad thing all the time), that machine will hit that target better than any other unit.

The only TRUE test is in the field, on undisturbed targets that are not known, using different machines set up optimally for that environment. Pretty hard task to get a TRUE test. Think about it. Even the slightest deviation in sweep speed, angle, settings on the unit, etc. can skew a result.

Bottom line is, use what YOU feel is the best unit for YOU, for the conditions you hunt in, and the targets you want to find.

No unit, not matter what the cost or what a test or video shows, can help you find more targets if you don't like it !
March 27, 2013 11:46AM
The guy making the videos is barry...he also is the only U.S. dealer at this time...and in my oponion, the guy is an ass . I bought a vista gold . Very good detector, but its a niche use. I would recomend wait untill there is another dealer, or buy used. Ray
March 27, 2013 12:53PM
Most people now can download video pretty fast using their PC, so most people will watch. So why not get some different folks together each using their very own detector and turn them loose at a site. With multiple cameras running and monitoring the entire episode. Then the different folks can compare different signals and do a surgical recovery for the audience. Get the supposed big dog detectors out there and some of the more moderately priced ones too. I would love to watch a 3 hour movie showing the different results. Wouldn't you?
That's what I hate about certain forums. No detector comparisons that is. I can see a forum set up with the categetories to help folks better be able to manage and operate their detector, but inquiring minds are always wanting to know if there is something out there better or more suited to them. Besides, if you have a good product you as a manufacturer should welcome detector comparisons. This will prove moreso how their product stacks overall. And I wonder if the differerent manufacturers have paid people monitoring the internet, etc for feedback ? Sure they do if they have any common sense. One thing is for sure. A metal detecting company had better not take things for granted. I have seen several people try and hold to brand loyalty but I think the trend is fading. And yes the good ole interent I think is likely responsible coupled with the production of some very good detectors by the different companies. Thus site seems to be the most unbiased overall as far I can tell. Most criticism and debate on this forum is very constructive-thus a learning tool.
March 27, 2013 02:55PM
There is a guy George Kinsey that created that basalt rock challenge about what that video is all about. He is well known and goes as Tex on other forums...
No VLF has ever been able to ground balance that rock out and get non-ferrous while in discriminate mode.

The first was the Blisstool - and the second was the DeepTech. At other popular forums you can read about that test.

That is why at places like Culpeper, VA for DIV events most everyone uses a PI machine - mainly a GPX because of that rock is all under the dirt.

Also - the first real world testing for DeepTech was done by Keith Southern here on this forum - you can ask him about his experiences.

Peacemaker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dunno', maybe I need to buy one of these or
> something... I keep seeing reviews of these
> things by the 'same people' and I haven't been
> able to come to a deduction regarding who's
> telling me the straight goods and who's not.
> Seeing is believing, but I'm also seeing some VERY
> BAD results with machines (CTX 3030, DEUS XP,
> etc...) that I KNOW should be able to 'see' some
> of the things that the DTVS and DTVG always seem
> to...
>
> Here is an example of what I mean...
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> I'm not saying that the link above is a bunch of
> bull, but I seriously wonder about the other
> machines ability to see this same target. My
> experience detecting with users of those other
> machines has me scratching my head. I noticed
> that the there was another very recent post
> regarding the 'Blisstool' and it's ability which
> was a bit of an eye-opener (video is apparently in
> the 'suggested videos' on the right as well...)
> and it got me thinking about these tests that were
> being done. Are these things the 'real deal' or
> are the machines being chosen for a reason? It
> makes me wonder what could possibly be 'different'
> about these 'low-cost' VLF machines that make them
> so superior to the newest Technology (FBS2) and
> Steroid infused VLF machines like the Blisstool.
>
> Obviously I'm a bit doubtful, but if this detector
> IS the real deal I'll be one of the first to jump
> on the 'Band-Wagon'~!
>
> (Love this Forum BTW...)
>
> Cheers,
March 27, 2013 03:13PM
I am not affiliatied with the guy in the vid, as a matter of fact I am from a totally different country. I have the Vista Smart and YES it can do these kind of things. I also have the Goldmaxx Power v4.0 and the Etrac. The GMP is a little better at unmasking but the Smart will go a little deeper on certain targets and in different soil conditions. The etrac has Zero chance recovery and unmasking wise against the Smart and the GMP.
March 27, 2013 03:21PM
No disrespect to people who make videos, but they do nothing for me. I am sure lots of people like them and find value in them, and I am not knocking that.

Detecting is my thing. I do not mind investing some money to get some answers, and ultimately that always means I have to get a detector, try it, and maybe sell it soon at a loss. That remains the only way I can get the answers I want about how I hunt, where I hunt, and what I hunt for. Most importantly, how the machine feels. You been detecting a long time you know what I mean. Some detectors just feel right.

Honestly, the few videos I have watched just irritate me. So I do not watch them as a rule. I would rather read people's opinions. I know who to listen to.

Steve Herschbach
March 27, 2013 04:17PM
Steve Herschbach Wrote:
> No disrespect to people who make videos, but they
> do nothing for me. I am sure lots of people like
> them and find value in them, and I am not knocking
> that.
>
> Detecting is my thing. I do not mind investing
> some money to get some answers, and ultimately
> that always means I have to get a detector, try
> it, and maybe sell it soon at a loss. That remains
> the only way I can get the answers I want about
> how I hunt, where I hunt, and what I hunt for.
> Most importantly, how the machine feels. You been
> detecting a long time you know what I mean. Some
> detectors just feel right.
>
> Honestly, the few videos I have watched just
> irritate me. So I do not watch them as a rule. I
> would rather read people's opinions. I know who to
> listen to.
>
> Steve Herschbach

100% agree with ya.
cd
March 27, 2013 05:56PM
I happen to have the Deeptech Vista Gold and it does get great depth and has great iron unmasking ability. Now, that having been said, let me tell you about an experience I had with it last weekend. I had a few conversations with a detectorist about him possibly selling me his Sorex 7281 (Russian made) detector and the three coils 3kz, 7kz, and14kz that he bought with the machine. I made a portable but heavy test garden out of stackable boxes and took along my Vista Gold and Teknetics G-2. He had several machines and used the Sorex and a Vista smart. My red soil is very tough for lots of detectors much like Keith Southerns. The interesting thing about these kinds of tests is how much we both learned from the results. With a very thin small 14k white gold chain my G-2 read a 48 on Vid at 2 inches, a 29 at 4 inches, and a 7 at 6 inches. Eye opening yhat it dropped off so fast.on gold being a 31 kz unit. The Vista Gold gave a good solid hit on it at seven inches. The Sorex would not hit on the small gold chain even with the 14kz coil. The Sorex gave impressive depths on all coins and a civil war two ringer bullet. The Vista Gold would not even hit the bullet at 2 inches. This really struck me as strange as it hit small brass buttons so well. Vista Gold is 25kz so no surprise it hits gold so well. The Vista smart hit the bullet easily at eight inches with the 7 kz coil. The other eye opening test was iron unmasking. The two Vista machines could unmask a two inch deep dime with an iron nail on the surface only about an inch apart. The sorex could not and worse, it could not unmask the dime when the surface nail was six inches from the two inch deep dime. Goes to show that all machines have their strenghts and weaknesses. And you have to find what works in your area and how to make the most of those atrengths by learning what your detector is abd is not capable of doing.
March 27, 2013 06:16PM
Very good info search!! Kind of strange about the bullet...I'm in gold country..bad soil...my deepest target so far with the gold was a 8 inch pistol ball. Go figure.
March 27, 2013 08:10PM
Deathray. I have only found one CW bullet with the DTVG at about four inches in "good" dirt. But I have an old battle site that always produces lots of bullets, and the only time I took the gold there I found no bullets, however I did well on percussion caps and small buttons. Got me to thinking how strange that was. I always thought that any machine that hit brass well would surely hit lead well. Could be that the tan oxidation is preventing the machine from reading the lead however. I have had no problem finding modern buckshot at ten inches or more in fields and the Gold hit hard on them. Just a thought.
March 27, 2013 08:21PM
search and recovery Wrote:
Could be that the tan oxidation is
> preventing the machine from reading the lead

That was my thought also, how about one with oxidation and see what it will do either in the ground or in the air then remove the oxidation as best as possible then test again.
March 27, 2013 08:42PM
Ron. My thoughts exactly. No matter how many CW bullets I find, I still treasure them, but I guess I can give one up in the name of research. I will post my results...Stuart
March 27, 2013 09:10PM
> I happen to have the Deeptech Vista Gold and it
> does get great depth and has great iron unmasking
> ability. Now, that having been said, let me tell
> you about an experience I had with it last
> weekend. I had a few conversations with a
> detectorist about him possibly selling me his
> Sorex 7281 (Russian made) detector and the three
> coils 3kz, 7kz, and14kz that he bought with the
> machine. I made a portable but heavy test garden
> out of stackable boxes and took along my Vista
> Gold and Teknetics G-2. He had several machines
> and used the Sorex and a Vista smart. My red soil
> is very tough for lots of detectors much like
> Keith Southerns. The interesting thing about these
> kinds of tests is how much we both learned from
> the results. With a very thin small 14k white gold
> chain my G-2 read a 48 on Vid at 2 inches, a 29 at
> 4 inches, and a 7 at 6 inches. Eye opening yhat it
> dropped off so fast.on gold being a 31 kz unit.
> The Vista Gold gave a good solid hit on it at
> seven inches. The Sorex would not hit on the small
> gold chain even with the 14kz coil. The Sorex gave
> impressive depths on all coins and a civil war two
> ringer bullet. The Vista Gold would not even hit
> the bullet at 2 inches. This really struck me as
> strange as it hit small brass buttons so well.
> Vista Gold is 25kz so no surprise it hits gold so
> well. The Vista smart hit the bullet easily at
> eight inches with the 7 kz coil. The other eye
> opening test was iron unmasking. The two Vista
> machines could unmask a two inch deep dime with an
> iron nail on the surface only about an inch apart.
> The sorex could not and worse, it could not unmask
> the dime when the surface nail was six inches from
> the two inch deep dime. Goes to show that all
> machines have their strenghts and weaknesses. And
> you have to find what works in your area and how
> to make the most of those atrengths by learning
> what your detector is abd is not capable of doing.

The G2 is 19khz isnt it ? not 31 or is that a typo ? lol
March 27, 2013 09:21PM
Sanjuro, you are correct. 19kz. Guess I have too many machines on my mind at one time. (Must focu, must focus).
March 27, 2013 09:55PM
when i used the vista gold up here in Maine it loved brass and deep musket balls easy 6 to 8" and old buttons coins not so much have scored more coins using the vista relic than the gold, the RG 1000 wa awesome on coins also just waiting for the dam ground to thaw to really try my smart
March 28, 2013 01:15AM
The Vista Smart runs at 15.5 khz. What did you mean by 7 kz??

> I happen to have the Deeptech Vista Gold and it
> does get great depth and has great iron unmasking
> ability. Now, that having been said, let me tell
> you about an experience I had with it last
> weekend. I had a few conversations with a
> detectorist about him possibly selling me his
> Sorex 7281 (Russian made) detector and the three
> coils 3kz, 7kz, and14kz that he bought with the
> machine. I made a portable but heavy test garden
> out of stackable boxes and took along my Vista
> Gold and Teknetics G-2. He had several machines
> and used the Sorex and a Vista smart. My red soil
> is very tough for lots of detectors much like
> Keith Southerns. The interesting thing about these
> kinds of tests is how much we both learned from
> the results. With a very thin small 14k white gold
> chain my G-2 read a 48 on Vid at 2 inches, a 29 at
> 4 inches, and a 7 at 6 inches. Eye opening yhat it
> dropped off so fast.on gold being a 31 kz unit.
> The Vista Gold gave a good solid hit on it at
> seven inches. The Sorex would not hit on the small
> gold chain even with the 14kz coil. The Sorex gave
> impressive depths on all coins and a civil war two
> ringer bullet. The Vista Gold would not even hit
> the bullet at 2 inches. This really struck me as
> strange as it hit small brass buttons so well.
> Vista Gold is 25kz so no surprise it hits gold so
> well. The Vista smart hit the bullet easily at
> eight inches with the 7 kz coil. The other eye
> opening test was iron unmasking. The two Vista
> machines could unmask a two inch deep dime with an
> iron nail on the surface only about an inch apart.
> The sorex could not and worse, it could not unmask
> the dime when the surface nail was six inches from
> the two inch deep dime. Goes to show that all
> machines have their strenghts and weaknesses. And
> you have to find what works in your area and how
> to make the most of those atrengths by learning
> what your detector is abd is not capable of doing.
March 28, 2013 10:38PM
Goldmanjace. My apology. I was working and trying to text at the same time. The Sorex had the 3kz, 7kz and the 14kz coils.With the 7kz coil it hit the bullet at 8 inches eaisily. The Vista Smart also hit the 8 inch bullet with no problem. I will do some more testing with the Vista Gold in the comming week as I have seven days off to detect. May the weather warm up and the sun shine on all of us this week.
March 29, 2013 12:18AM
No problems, it is so easy to get distracted. I know how that is.

Cant wait to see your test results.

> Goldmanjace. My apology. I was working and trying
> to text at the same time. The Sorex had the 3kz,
> 7kz and the 14kz coils.With the 7kz coil it hit
> the bullet at 8 inches eaisily. The Vista Smart
> also hit the 8 inch bullet with no problem. I will
> do some more testing with the Vista Gold in the
> comming week as I have seven days off to detect.
> May the weather warm up and the sun shine on all
> of us this week.
March 30, 2013 04:29AM
I will keep my money and wait for a new Fisher. Hard to buy a machine when the salespeople are off kilter.
March 30, 2013 12:33PM
Leggo, I think you mean "N. American Distributor".