Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Anyone here detect in Columbus, Ga?

Posted by deathray 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anyone here detect in Columbus, Ga?
May 29, 2013 01:59AM
If so, I'd like to pm ya...don't worry, I'm in kalifornia now, ha
Re: Anyone here detect in Columbus, Ga?
May 29, 2013 03:30AM
Twice in my life Ray...One Indian Fort and a Confederate Fort....

I am about 2 hours from there driving the backroads from my house due South..... Great area to hunt though...Peacefull area's out in the woods down that way...

Keith
May 29, 2013 04:10AM
I keep in touch with some of my old friends back there...been a lot of redovelopment in recent years...wish I was detecting when I lived there.
May 29, 2013 08:29PM
Yes Great spot to Hunt down around Columbus ....I Know of some early contact sites down that way...the English were trading with the indians and the Spanish were not happy about it in the late 1600's...the Spaniards had a strong hold on the Spots along the Chattahoochee since the 1500's then the English traders out of Charleston S.C. encroached on the Indian villages especially around the area now Columbus and alot of unwritten history took place in the vacinity..

Not sure about the rest of the United States as I have never been too many places...

But theres nothing like Spring In the Deep South!!

I love the smell of the Honey suckle and jasmine plants along with the Cherokee rose all growing wild in the wood's.

On a warm day in the woods it smells as if your in a perfume shop...

I never get over that awesome fragrance in the air we have going right now!!

Not sure if it happens everywhere or if Honeysuckle grows everywhere but if it does not I would be at aloss in the spring and summer wihthout the aroma therapy!!

To me theres no greater spot than GEORGIA and the past history of the state helps alot for the relic relic hunt's...LOL...

Hope Honey Boo Boo does not make us all look too bad....its actually a very nice State to live in!

Keith
May 29, 2013 09:14PM
I lived in Columbus back in 73 and 74..... Great place to be.

Tom in SC
May 30, 2013 12:12AM
I love Georgia and the Florida panhandle...miss some of my old fishing holes. Big slab crappie when the dogwoods bloom. Dont miss those bigass roaches and water moccasins though.
May 30, 2013 12:20AM
I don't miss the heat, humidity, mosquitoes, rattlesnakes, and fireants. I miss the fishing and hunting though. I lived in Eastman, GA. Former home of Stucky's Candies.

It's out there fellows! Go get it!
"Ged Peacehavens"
May 30, 2013 01:01AM
The area I live in here is sort of unique in that theres Cotton mouths above me and cotton mouths below me and yet non here....and I have never seen one all my life in my general area...Not sure why that is? But the info is verified by the State wildlife agency...

Now rattlesnakes and Copperheads are in abundance...My neighbor killed a rattler last fall across the street in out subdivision and it was about 4.5 Ft.....My co-worker's dog died last year from a rattler bite in the dog pen in his back yard...He finally ened up killing 2 rattlers in the back yard after that bot close to 4 ft...
Buddy of mine Killed number 12 at his cabing oin the north part of My county last year...Saw p;icture of it it was huge about 6 ft long and real fat like rattlers like to get down this way!

I was in some tall grass week before last swinging my coil and it hit something and it took off and it was a snake and it was powerfull the way he was moving but not sure what it was I was too busy heading the opposite direction....

I have been luck and only been struck once and it was a copperhead and it hit my boot...but beilieve it or not it was in my Backyard..LOL!!!

I had a nice long 7 ft Kingsnake living in my backyard woodpile but my neighbor killed it while it was eating a Copperhead....man that made me mad...that was my best defense for poisonous snakes around the house... and the kingsnake was very friendly to me when I was out he would not run away but just hang close by sort of felt safer with him around....

Hey Ray thats funny on the huge cockroaches yes theres some monsters down this way ..some as long as your finger...If one ever got in the house My wife would burn the whole place down I believe...

I worry more about coyote's more than anything now day's..they are everywhere and dont like to see them in the daytime running in pack's...BAD NEWS...

Keith
May 30, 2013 02:44AM
Had a business in Columbus from 90 to 95. Kept our home here and rented a place in the Historic District. Hunted a good many of those old historic homes yards and the old fairgrounds at the end of the historic district and the old par 3 golf course. Great place with tons of history. HH jim tn
May 30, 2013 03:33AM
Yeah, I missed out..lived there 1978 to 1986..my teenage years..was too busy partying out at flat rock park and the rock quarry, never did detect there. I lived in Ft. Riley Ks before that..actually where I first started to detect and bottle dig..then took a long hiatus from detecting, till about 2000. Missed a lot of good oppurtunities..
Anyway, it seems like there has been a lot of demos around Columbus in the last few years, was curious how guys have done. Ray
May 30, 2013 04:04AM
Dont Now of what has ben dug recently Ray...

But I bet some gold coins lurk down town...Columbus in the 1800 days was a town known for lawlessness...sort of out on the Georgia frontier,, lots of gambling joints I heard back then...

right settings for some stashed gold or lost gold..

Keith
May 30, 2013 03:05PM
If I remember corectly, there were some stone paved streets downtown that had some age on them........

Tom in SC