Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

" Dig Wars " TV show. Your opinions.

Posted by Esteban 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: " Dig Wars " TV show. Your opinions.
June 25, 2013 01:36AM
Mcgov...really..so someone tells you to get lost and you scamper??? Even if your in the right to be there?? Wow, not me bud. I'm sick of all our rights being taken away in this country, and won't back down. Ray
June 25, 2013 01:46AM
I caught a couple of the re-run episodes of the show. I can say that the overall show surprised me. I mean as with any reality TV show, it seems a bit scripted on the overall dialogue. At least the finds seem reasonable and the prices not overly inflated like the other shows. I would watch it again as long as they don't put Pete in it...but it's still no Duck Dynasty.

They need a little work on matching the sounds of the detectors though. Some of the Minelab detector sounds were being played as they were swinging the Teknetics machines, etc. Overall though...still a decent show. One of the better ones thus far with detecting. It could be improved but it's for sure not the bottom of the barrel.
June 25, 2013 03:17AM
deathray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mcgov...really..so someone tells you to get lost
> and you scamper??? Even if your in the right to be
> there?? Wow, not me bud. I'm sick of all our
> rights being taken away in this country, and won't
> back down. Ray

Finally some cojones!!! ********Couldn't agree with you more!
Frankly , as bad as Dig Wars is I'm not so sure that the worst enemy of the detectorist isn't there own milquetoast response to having their rights on public lands infringed upon. I'm all for consideration and non invasive low impact digging techniques and polite responses to the enquirers but enough with the pandering. People have come to realize that detectorists act like a bunch of limp wristed pansies when questioned and take advantage of our kind and gentle nature.
June 25, 2013 01:12PM
I used to be a Magistrate and ran into an issue with a state park guy. He said i couldnt hunt in the park.... only the beach. So i grabbed up the rules and it clearly said you were restricted to the beach and couldnt hunt anywhere in the park WITHOUT a permit. Well everyone was required to have a permit.... lol. They had to think about it..... but i was allowed to hunt the park there after. I tell you what i do see. High prices for gold and exposure has made the IRS/Gov take a careful look at what we are finding and selling. Even ARA had to change their rules.

Dew
June 25, 2013 03:24PM
Well I saw the show last night and since I have been fighting cancer and had a bone marrow transplant and have not been detecting since about 18 months. I really enjoyed the show and me and my buddy dance around when we found something good. Yeah the sounds were off and for someone that doesn't detect it is a bit off from what we go through to find a target but I liked the show and it reminded me of my trips out looking for relics. I miss not being able to detect but am working on getting my body stronger so I can enjoy the hobby again even though I would only be able to hunt a couple of hours in the future. I look forward to more shows....Great job Mike and Larry you should have your company have a commerical on the show.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2013 05:16AM by Lawrenzo.
June 25, 2013 03:52PM
When someone of authority says you better get lost then you better listen and not hesitate or argue.
YOU ARE NOT ON YOUR OWN PRIVATE PROPERTY.

You better believe it John Wayne.

What say you . . . Tom ?

What is the proper approach to take . . . TOM ?

What has been your experience with this . . . TOM ?

Stand and fight a battle you can't possibly win ?
June 25, 2013 08:18PM
Don't gripe about losing rights if you sheepishly give them away.
June 26, 2013 09:44PM
At least it has a cute girl that digs.
June 27, 2013 11:20AM
I'm glad I got rid of TV years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2013 11:21AM by charlives.
June 27, 2013 10:50PM
I too caught the remarks of a new First Texas MF machine. Any facts to support this?
June 27, 2013 11:20PM
There's several threads here about 'the new machine', this one would be an obvious starter:
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]
and:
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]
July 02, 2013 03:58PM
New poster here. In my opinion, questions like this are intended to bring out the worst, not the best.

"Another POOR detecting show that will give all of us a " black-eye " !"

Which qualifies the question as being prejudicial and leading. (I'm not a lawyer)

We think it's an excellent and entertaining show. To us, the show comes across as people having a good time. Reads like some are taking themselves too seriously and applying this seriousness to a show who's intent is to entertain, not educate.

We first learn to cry. In time, it's hopeful that we'll learn to laugh. Just saying.

(Disclosure; being that we live in "Gold Country," our focus is on prospecting first, coin and relic hunting, second)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 04:00PM by BeeMan458.
July 02, 2013 07:18PM
BeeMan458 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> New poster here. In my opinion, questions like
> this are intended to bring out the worst, not the
> best.
>
> "Another POOR detecting show that will give all of
> us a " black-eye " !"
>
> Which qualifies the question as being prejudicial
> and leading. (I'm not a lawyer)
>
> We think it's an excellent and entertaining show.
> To us, the show comes across as people having a
> good time. Reads like some are taking themselves
> too seriously and applying this seriousness to a
> show who's intent is to entertain, not educate.
>
> We first learn to cry. In time, it's hopeful that
> we'll learn to laugh. Just saying.
>
> (Disclosure; being that we live in "Gold Country,"
> our focus is on prospecting first, coin and relic
> hunting, second)

Whether or not we enjoy the show is irrelevant. How the general non detecting public reacts to it is the factor which will decide if the show is damaging to the hobby.
July 03, 2013 06:19AM
BeeMan, welcome to the hobby. Quite possibly you were inspired to start detecting by one of these shows. The general trend I've seen is that those new to the hobby seem to like these shows. Others who have been detecting a while, not so much.

The original question was not worded to influence any opinions for the worse. It simply asked for opinions about this show on a non-sponsored forum where the owner and moderator tolerates and appreciates free-wheeling discussions with widely varying viewpoints. That more of the opinions have been negative than positive merely reflects the views of the forum members.

To you, metal detecting is a new diversion. Something you think you and the wife might enjoy doing. For those of us who have been detecting a while, it is a hobby and also a passion. For myself and many others, not wanting to see our hobby damaged is not taking things too seriously.

Of course the purpose of this show is to entertain, not to educate. Entertainment like callously digging live ordnance. Throwing pennies where others are detecting. A young lady talking about peeing her pants. Messing with the settings on someone elses detector when she's not looking. Several participants ganging up and making fun of the detector one guy was using because it was an older design and didn't look cool enough.

Maybe Tesoro didn't pony up for product placement?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2013 06:22AM by marcomo.
July 03, 2013 02:36PM
Thanks for the welcome.

You must admit that on a forum that encourages MD'g and a business who's existance depends on enlarge an audience, would take steps to discourage it by knocking a show who's purpose is simply to entertain in the same way shows like "The Beverly Hillbillies" or a reality show like the real housewives series entertains it's audience.

All that you mentioned was done in good fun and we've all pranked our friends. You knew the T2 prank was as staged as staged could be as nobody puts their tools down and walks that far away from their gear like that. I commented about how far they were from their gear and how totally staged it was to my wife as they were hovering over their find, in an unnatural way. I've done my fair share of digging in the yard and construction projects to know what normal digging looks like. Long ago, I was teased by my friends in choice of televisions. It's called hazing. It's done in sports, the military, on the gym floor and at bacherlor parties the world over. Regarding what you described on the show was all in good fun and didn't give anybody's hobby a black eye. What, people can no longer tease and have fun? We need more laughter and less crying.

I have noted that MD'g is more an East Coast, Middle America thing than a North West Coast thing as we've not seen a single MD in our part of the Gold Country. Yes, in my above, I'm aware of a big desert SW presents but in all our desert SW outings, not a single MD to be found. We've been in the Gold Country over three years and have yet to see a single MD.....anywhere. Well, we have seen a couple of MD's in a store who's owner admits to selling them.

As to history in the ground, that's historians being greedy, greedy, greedy as if it's that important, scan for it and get it in a museum somewhere but if it's left in the ground much longer, it's all going mineralize into the ages and nobody's going find it. My personal attitude, we have enough history stored up in museums and second hand stores. History buffs are just going have to learn to share their hobby of hording with others.

From all I've read up on the matter, it seems as if landowners are getting burnt out by all the Joe's knocking on their door, asking to MD their land. The first few times it was a gracious act on the part of the landowner but after awhile, it's an imposition that violates their privacy and I don't blame landowners shutting the welcome mat down. Oversaturation does that to a society's largess just like too many ATV's in a desert ruin the environment for others.

As to my interest, my interest was peaked many years ago when we chose to move to Gold Country. The show had zero influence on our decision as bit at a time, we've been gathering books and gear and reading up on prospecting and prospecting locations. This has been a long standing hobby as opposed to something we thought would be a cool thing to do. I'm a read the book first kinda guy. It's hard in a single post to give a complete view of a person's experience with a matter. Personally, I want to enhance our prospecting efforts and my wife doesn't like to get wet so she wants to work the shores and around abandoned mining sites where only ATV's or stupid people like us in a pickup truck like to go. Let me tell you, if you don't know already, washed out gravel mining roads are an experience after a half mile or more and hauling ATV's around gets expensive fast.....then there's the whole storing the gear thing to the point where it's no longer fun. Keep it light, keep it fun.

The point, based on my above, hopefully you'll see I have a respectful understanding of the whole hobby, passion, history, respect thing and base my comments on this awareness. It's a comment or an opinion and nothing more as personally, an opinion was asked for and in our opinion, we find the show entertaining. People who take themselves too seriously are not fun to be around. That sort of thing.

I'll stop posting in this thread as obviously, my opinion is that of the odd man out and I'm not here to cause people upset.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2013 02:48PM by BeeMan458.
July 03, 2013 03:25PM
I like the show it is fun and for someone like me that says a lot

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

July 03, 2013 05:32PM
Beeman, there are plenty of people detecting out here...be sure to understand claims before you prospect.
July 03, 2013 05:53PM
Thank-you for the heads-up as I've spend many hours going over the BLM website to make sure I don't step on toes.

[www.blm.gov]

You guys hate "Dig Wars," you encourage violence with videos over a stupid hole, you think people are stupid and haven't done their home work. Wow!

You guys make another guy wish he didn't want to prospect. BACK OFF! You've done your job, You've turned me off to this forum. Do you guys always work this hard to drive newbies off?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2013 06:01PM by BeeMan458.
July 03, 2013 06:08PM
Dang Beeman, step back a little. Anyone who has detected for awhile has lost sites due to those stupid little holes. And who here has condoned violence? Maybe because I've worked construction all my life, and am considered a redneck, the video doesn't shock me. Big deal, dude is venting. I mention the claim issue, to keep YOU out of harms way, because some guys will kick your butt for STEALING their gold. No need to be passive/aggressive.
July 03, 2013 07:34PM
I've settled on a Minelab, X-Terra, 705, Fisher, Gold Bug Pro package with coil upgrades. Wishing you guys good hunting.
July 04, 2013 02:47AM
Beeman, there are a lot of different opinions on this forum and they are freely expressed. Don't take it personally when some have a different opinion than you.

Lawrenzo, it's good to see your posts. My prayers for you to be well enough to get back in the dirt real soon.
July 04, 2013 03:54AM
Well I expected a better show when I found out who was on this one but I'm sure the hunters have very little to nothing to do with the content. Honestly some of these guys YouTube post are much more entertaining and "real" than this "reality" show. I know the producers want to make something that appeals to the masses and not just people in the hobby, but really?? They should get some input from the guys and tone all the b.s. down. I bet there's not 5 minutes of actual detecting in these shows. I actually prefer diggers much more than this. At least they give a lot of the hx of the area and show finding things that aren't in perfect condition. Yeah there's some antics in diggers like the names for their finds and climbing trees when they make a good find but seeding a place with pennies and screwing with detector settings?? Come on, I guess this is the "wars" part of dig wars but its the part I can't stand. I tried to watch with an open mind but 4 episodes in and honestly I can say diggers is twice the show this one is and the randy savage show and dig wars are about equal in entertainment value. The prices on the diggers show that are shown for the finds clearly say things like " in perfect condition" or "with the right mint mark". I know some people get hung up on the astronomical values placed on the items on that show.

A better format for a detecting show to me would be to give some history of a site, then talk to the people hunting for like 2-3 minutes about things like what they hope/expect to find, how/why they are using a particular detector and particular settings, then edit in some good hits, what the detector showed and then responsible recoveries of good AND trash finds I think it would be a much better show. If you haven't seen the show "Mudlarks" on Natgeo do yourselves a favor and find and watch it. It features Chicago Ron and you would never know its the same guy if you didn't know, just shows you how editing and producers can make or break a program. It is a very intelligently produced show that puts a good light on recovering history. Too bad the same folks didn't produce a md show.

I have to agree that all 3 of the shows make us look goofy and not to be taken serious. I know a lot of "treasure hunters" that do more research, know more history and do more to research a site and recover and preserve that history than most archeologists. There are a lot more intelligent people with a passion for history in this hobby than get rich quick goobers, the get rich quick types soon find out they won't and move onto something else, and yes my forum name is Bootyhunter, but that is a tongue in cheek reference to the "pirate" mantra associated with looking for "treasure" so don't flame me a screen name.
History is a lot more than place names and dates and all that garbage that is sculpted like a clay vase then packaged in a " text book" and fed to our kids like so much propaganda. Written history is written by the victors, history you find in the ground well that is the unbiased truth. Just my 2 cents.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2013 04:15AM by Bootyhunter.
July 04, 2013 03:52PM
this is what sells on TV and they do get to go to some cool places even though I thought they would find way more stuff it is drying up out there...

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]