Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Gold coins

Posted by squarenail_cache 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Gold coins
August 30, 2013 12:52AM
How many people have found gold coins and do you have pics
Re: Gold coins
August 30, 2013 12:57AM
I got one... 1891-s $20...can find the pic on treasure depot, best finds, 2002
August 30, 2013 01:44AM
Lets hear the story behind that Double Eagle Deathray!
August 30, 2013 02:33AM
Ok... I had been eyeballing a house that was raised to pour a new foundation. Anyway, I was leaving my house to go to work ( roofing) and some ahole broke in my trucks toolbox and ripped me off..again. That set me off and I was like screw it, I'm not going to work, gonna go hit that house. The house was in the ghetto in Stockton, Ca. I went under it with my Sovereign, and first signal was a hightone screamer...read 180on the meter..actually expected a big foundation washer...but instead there's this big yellow disc in my plug. My first thought was its one of those chocalate coins...till I noticed the weight, then holy $@#@!!!. I had to stay low key, cause I was in a bad part of a bad city, and the only white boy around, lol. I've since sold it when the recession hit, but I really believe ill find another gold coin some day...I'm in the middle of gold rush country and hit the right spots. Ray
August 30, 2013 02:37AM
Now that is the way to hunt and reep the rewards

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 30, 2013 02:46AM
Way to go!
Must have been surreal seeing that big yellow coin in that plug!
August 30, 2013 02:00PM
Two of them. Both were in the same hole. 1854 and 1855 type 2 one dollar coins. On my Explorer SE I was getting a reading somewhat close to a nickel and it was showing about 5 inches deep so I decided to dig. If it was one number lower on the conduct side I would not have dug the target because I was hunting in pulltab infested public park. The park was a union camp during the civil war and then the location of the worlds fair in 1884.(date may be off a year or two) If I can find pics I will post. I still have the coins but are in a "safe" place.

Tommy C.
(southernexplorer)
Deus - Etrac - GPX 5000
August 31, 2013 02:52PM
1853 one us one dollar coin. The back had six big gouges in it where they had checked to see if it was real.
[www.findmall.com]

The front was almost perfect, It was at about 4 inches down and hit at a bouncy 53 to 56 on my G2. Found in the San Fran area>
HH
Jim
September 01, 2013 02:38AM
Congrat's to yall in the gold coin club....

quite a feat...

I want one not for the gold or the rarity but for the Historical context....I want one out of a civil war site/rev war site/ early contact site......Till then I wont rest....

Congrat's

Keith
September 01, 2013 04:07AM
1909 $5 Indian

found at a Georgian Revival type house built in the 1880s --- 8 yrs ago (June 2005) using a Garrett GTI 2500 along a cobblestone type walkway leading up to a side door of the house. Hit in the nickel range with a mid tone/bell tone. 4 to 5 inches deep. I owned a 4 bed/2.5 bath Colonial Revival type house built in 1868 about a 1/2 block north of the place - all of the homes in the neighborhood were 1860s to 1880s (historical area of town). I detected a good dozen of them and found lots of good stuff... Would like to go back and do em all again with the E-Trac and Deus now! Unfortunately I don't live in that town anymore and most of the home owners sold out & moved when xoxo hit the fan with the housing market/economy so I'd have a hard time getting permission on all of them again :-/ I pounded them all pretty hard with the GTI 2500, DFX, MXT, and a CZ6a

Some of you may recognize these photos from another forum I've been a member of since almost the time of its inception but go by a different name there. I ran home and posted them on that forum within minutes of making the find! Notice how sandy our soil is around here in west MI?? On one hand it's a blessing and the other a curse! Only certain areas are highly concentrated though - some areas are more loamy, and some more black dirt type soil...

September 01, 2013 11:36AM
What a beautiful coin.
Congrats!
September 01, 2013 12:50PM
Nice MRH! Same to Southernexpl ok rer and Godigit. I love how Godigit is nonchalant about finding I th, lol. Ray
September 01, 2013 02:02PM
That $5 gold coin is a beauty! I just found myself staring at the pic daydreaming about finding one. Congrats Paul
September 01, 2013 05:48PM
I really like the recessed design Wayne on the $5 Coin ...

Sort of funny they try to honor the Indian yet treated them like second/third rate Citizen's and thye were here first..

Nice

Keith
September 01, 2013 06:01PM
Great gold coin finds guys! Still on my wish list of things not yet found...But someday soon...
September 01, 2013 07:16PM
deathray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice MRH! Same to Southernexpl ok rer and Godigit.
> I love how Godigit is nonchalant about finding I
> th, lol. Ray

Ok RER whats that?
I don't like to brag allot about my finds and as a matter of fact I thought of posting this coin here when I first found it but then thought about people like Tom who consider it the find of finds!!!
I've only been hunting for 17 years and Tom forty. I'm not a coin hunter I do love finding old coins but I'm a jewelry hunter I get much more excited over a 22k gold bracelet. I find way more gold than I find silver or old coins. I haven't even found a indian head cent or a buffalo nickel yet. I didn't deserve that coin but I was in the right place with the right machine for the job.
Please don't mistake my being nonchalant as not respecting the history behind the finds. It was so scratched up on the back that it had no numismatic value. All this being said things were tough as usual and I'm embarrassed that I had to sell it.
HH
jim
September 01, 2013 09:20PM
Jim...I use my phone, so if I don't proofread before hitting post, you get stuff like that. It was suppose to say 'southernexplorer'. Next, I wasn't trying to be rude or embarass you...just noticed in your findmall post it was put in with regular jewerly finds. I had only been detecting about a year and half this time around when I found mine. .guys I hunt with been doing it since 70s nonstop, luck of the draw. And don't feel bad...read my post, I sold mine too..a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...I better proofread this, lol. Ray
September 02, 2013 02:15AM
Congrat to all the others here who've found a gold coin too, and thanks for all the praise on mine :-)

At that time - it was over 20 yrs of detecting under the belt before finding it and/but I've been looking for the last 8 yrs for another...

Hey Deathray - I bet you about xoxo yer pants finding a BIG hunk/chunk of gold like that! I know I would have!

Keith - I hear you on the honoring of the Indian people (or lack thereof)... History in this country is an ugly stain in many regards...
September 02, 2013 02:43AM
If I remember this they paid the army with silver and the top guns with gold. One man would come to a camp to pay everyone and if there was a battle they would dig a hole and put it in the ground. Who knows when someone will or alrady did find that stash in army camps...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
September 02, 2013 09:45AM
I know I've said this before......... but worth repeating:
The United States had just finished the bulk of the Indian War battles.......... nearly exterminating all of the indians in 1858............ then............ in 1859, the United States 'edifies' the American Indian by placing a Indian 'bust' on the largest volume coin to be circulated in this country......... that being the penny.
Hmmmm.
September 02, 2013 10:08AM
They say it's Miss Liberty wearing a feathered head dress....Not sure if that is fact.
September 02, 2013 11:03AM
Keith wrote:

"Sort of funny they try to honor the Indian yet treated them like second/third rate Citizen's and thye were here first.. "

Right on, "Land of the free"....right.

Try telling that to someone who is forced by FEMA, to pay a high flood insurance policy in a area that never floods!
September 02, 2013 01:12PM
In the end, Longacre came up with an alternative that Snowden liked even better: a portrait of an Indian girl or more likely a Caucasian wearing a feathered headdress. The Mint director chose this design to replace the flying eagle with the start of production in January 1859, paired with a simple laurel wreath on the reverse not only for aesthetic reasons, it would seem, but also because the combination had the lowest relief of all the ones proposed. Simplicity is the hallmark of the coin: Aside from the Indian portrait, the obverse bears only the date and the inscription UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, while there's nothing on the reverse except the wreath and the words ONE CENT within it.

An oft-repeated story has it that Longacre modeled the "Indian" after his young daughter, Sarah. Evidence suggests that this is pure fantasy: Researchers have found drawings of virtually the same female head in Longacre sketchbooks from 10 years earlier, always with the same adult proportions and the same long "Greek" nose. And the artist himself referred to this profile in letters and official memoranda as being that of the Venus Accroupie, or "Crouching Venus"a Greco-Roman statue displayed at that time in a Philadelphia museum.

Whatever the source of his inspiration, it's clear that his idea was indeed inspired, for the Indian Head cent won immediate and enduring acclaim from the American public. In his book Numismatic Art in America, Cornelius Vermeule hails it as "perhaps the most beloved and typically American of any piece great or small in the American series."

[www.coinsite.com]
September 02, 2013 01:23PM
Much of what some Indians did in their existence (normal for them) was grotesque to the European white people, that's why they called them savages, and treated them as such. Not necessarily what they did to the white man, but what they did to other Indian nations as well, especially in war.

It certainly wasn't anything new, in the course of mankind. Man has killed and conquered through out history.....and does to this day, in one way or another,.... although sometimes,not as blatant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2013 01:29PM by ozzie.
September 03, 2013 12:17AM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1909 $5 Indian
Hit in the nickel range with a mid tone/bell tone. 4 to 5
> inches deep. > [i461.photobucket.com]
> sures/goldIH001_zpsf1a621be.jpg
>
> [i461.photobucket.com]
> sures/goldIH002_zpsf0407f3f.jpg

Alright Wayne, from now on any new spots we hit you have to stay in the truck til' I dig all the nickel signals...... lol. J/K What a find!!
September 03, 2013 12:33AM
Henry Ford Quote....

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

They tried to make Native Americans slaves in the beginning...Why not? cheaper to use them than transport African's in from so far away....But they found out real quick that the Indian was way to prideful to be enslaved...they would rather die first.....200 years later though they succumbed to the reservation enslavement ...

Talk about calling somone a Savage,,,, those arrogant people,,,,Look at what the Spanish conquistador's did to the Indian's in the southeast.....Poured hot lead down their throats turned the extremely large mastiff type dogs loose on them raped the women ...Et etc...then came the religous CONVERSION mission's in the deep south..torture them if they dont believe like we believe was their train of thought...WOW!!!

All cultures were/are barbaric just according on who's writing the history as to whos who...

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2013 02:43AM by Keith Southern.
September 03, 2013 02:16AM
Keith,

Totally agreed.

Aaron
September 03, 2013 04:20AM
Amazing what man will do to one another ain't it.
September 03, 2013 08:02AM
Mine's the same as deathray's. Found 4-14-12 at a Northern California ghost town with the G2. This place is a carpet of nails from the surface down to 8 inches. To add to the fun there's a boat load of modern bullet shells all over the place.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2013 08:19AM by Crosby.
September 03, 2013 08:39AM
A "S" mint too, sweet!

Did you guys try doing any sifting or excavation w a magnet in the iron?

Congrats