Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The new Garrett

Posted by sailorman 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The new Garrett
September 06, 2013 10:17PM
Still wonder how much?

[www.youtube.com]
Re: The new Garrett
September 06, 2013 10:23PM
[www.garrett.com]

MSRP $2495, ouch!
September 06, 2013 10:27PM
Build quality look great, military specs hmmm.

The smallest coil is a 8"

Being a pulse machine, I wonder how well the disc works?
September 06, 2013 11:28PM
It has the same pulses per second as the Infinium and also sounds like the discrimation is the same as the Infinium.

Tommy C.
(southernexplorer)
Deus - Etrac - GPX 5000
September 07, 2013 12:51AM
At almost 6 pounds, does it come with a caddie to help you swing it, on your hunts?! Lol

Joe
September 07, 2013 01:35AM
Designed to military standards? Now why would anyone do that. Was it built by the lowest bidder? That's a sure way to ensure it will fail within the first month of operation.

Is this all Garrett has upcoming - this PI? Thought they were going to unveil some new VLF-hybrid multi-freq thing to wow everyone. Hmmm.
September 07, 2013 01:46AM
I love the design...the telescoping rod is badass..don't think the coil is going to be easy swing in gold country though
September 07, 2013 01:57AM
Now Johnnyanglo, that's not quite true! The contract goes to the lowest politically conected bidder......:-)
September 07, 2013 02:41AM
sailorman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.garrett.com]
> motions_us.aspx
>
> MSRP $2495, ouch!

You've got that right.

Good luck with that Garrett!
September 07, 2013 03:13AM
Guys, here's what I don't get...

There was all this hype leading up to this machine, for what? A new and "improved" PI machine with a telescoping rod?!

I mean, I can't see any coin hunters using this, as who wants to dig down two feet to find a screw or bobby pin?! And as far as relic hunting & water units, there's already standalone units that are tried & true, and can can the job done just fine...at cheaper prices, to boot!

Can't knock Garrett, as it seems they are trying. And ANY advancement is good. However, as others have said, what with all the hype, I was expecting something a bit more than this.

P.S. - Unless this thing starts getting raves online, I can't see many hunters opting for this over a CTX, but, that's just me.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2013 03:14AM by njnydigger.
September 07, 2013 03:21AM
It all depends. Pretty much it depends on whether it offers anything new in the way of discrimination. Current detectors like the Infinium and the whites TDI offer a degree of discrimination where you can split between high and low conductors - adjust the point whereyou split them - and then only listen to into the high or the low. That's pretty primitive compared what's offered on VLF machines these days.

Now, if somebody can offer pulse induction detector (with its ability to perform much better in highly mineralized ground) with a high degree of discrimination then it's a whole new ballgame.

Currently that's the holy Grail and so far nobody has found it.
September 07, 2013 03:26AM
That really ain't a bad price for a pulse machine. Especially if they've improved on the Infinium's capabilities and strengthened and balanced it physically. The price given is MSRP so it should sell for several hundred less which would put it on the playing field of a new Whites TDI Pro. It has my interest for sure.
September 07, 2013 03:36AM
They will only I think sell to real hard core hunters that hunt hard core places like gold areas but for relics maybe the blistool would be better for less and maybe the same depth. I think they have a traget buyer but not most of us.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
September 07, 2013 03:38AM
You guys are missing a big part of the market..prospecting. And every hard core nugget shooter plunks down triple that every time Minelab comes out with a p.I. That and relic guys like Daniel and keith are who they're after.
September 07, 2013 03:48AM
Again –

Remember PI's are all about depth in bad ground. In good ground they have no particular advantage over VLF machines except maybe for the Minelab GPX machines which have absurd amounts of power and huge amplification and get pretty much more depth than anything else. They have very rudimentary discrimination however.

Bad ground - depth - discrimination AT DEPTH - nobody has cracked that yet. The Holy Grail of metal detecting is still occulted! Will Garrett go back the veil? That's the big question.

Right now Minelab seems to have taken discrimination about as far as they can with their multiple sample method of PI detection. White's TDI has the adjust the breakpoint and listen to the high or low conductors method of discrimination. Question seems to be whether whites will do something different than the TDI? Will first Texas with Dave Johnson come out with some truly new pulse induction technology with discrimination? Will somebody come "out of left field" with something totally new?

It seems to be an interesting time it seems that something could happen but technically this is a tough nut to crack.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2013 04:10AM by lytle78.
September 07, 2013 05:01AM
I am the target buyer. Can't wait to get my hands on one. Prospecting and jewelry will be my main uses.
September 07, 2013 05:27AM
Interesting, but do you think they could have put a grip on it ? I guess you got to wrap it... I was holding out but think Ill keep holding for now.
HH
September 07, 2013 01:44PM
Well, I'd had hopes of one for deep jewelry on our sanded in beaches but with the current state of my economy it's going to be a long wait! Be interesting to see how it does in real life.
September 07, 2013 01:56PM
Steve I know you'll get one. Once you got some time on it, please report. Glad you still have an open mind.
September 07, 2013 02:32PM
I am heading to Hawaii in February. I currently have no waterproof detectors except a CTX 3030, which will be going. But I wanted a PI also, and preferred a ground balancing PI for use also as a prospecting detector. I have been holding out for a waterproof TDI but also hoping for something from Garrett or Fisher. Looks like Garrett delivered first. It will first get used prospecting in the Sierras and I would like to water hunt Lake Tahoe with it. I also want to try some targeted urban detecting but the main goal is the Hawaii hunt. If Brent fixed the Infinium issues with salt water I will be a happy camper.
September 07, 2013 03:14PM
Hey Steve, are you going to be hitting Sierras this year? I'm in Calaveras county. If possible, I wouldn't mind checking out the garret if posdible. Ray
September 07, 2013 04:08PM
Looks like the Army bought 1000 of,the Recon Pro's in 2012.

[www.fbo.gov]

And here's input from Paul(CA) who bought and used one.

[www.detectingequipment.com]
September 07, 2013 05:46PM
I have access to a recon pro and they look identical besides the decal on the faceplate. I wonder if there is any difference between the two and if so I wonder if it would be possible to have garrett update the programming on the recon or even sell me a new pcb with the atx programming on it.... I have never touched the recon to know how well it works and this is more a question of mere curiosity...
September 07, 2013 07:44PM
Keith had a Recon I'm waiting to see what he says about the specs between the two. I don't think they had the coil options for the Recon like they have for the Extreme. I know the one thing that turns me away is the weight I have tendinitis in my elbows so 5.5 lbs is not light and I don't care for harnesses.
September 07, 2013 08:41PM
the same big coil looks like it was a ailable for the recon so i bet the DD will work on the recon also.
September 08, 2013 04:44AM
I will let you know Ray once I get my hands on one. I am at Sierra City right now but heading back to Reno soon.

I believe the Recon had a single tone response on targets like the TDI. The ATX appears to be an Infinium dual tone response. Wonder what the rational is there as I would prefer single tone (either lo or hi versus hi-lo or lo-hi). It cuts the noise by half. So if I am right it is not simply a Recon with a new decal. Nor an Infinium in a different box either.
September 08, 2013 06:02AM
I saw the dealer spec sheet for it today. It does look wild. Don @ North GA Relics said he was going to TRY and get one to test out at the fall DIV hunts but he wasn't really expecting to get one until after DIV was over.
September 08, 2013 01:42PM
Well I would have thought they would have gone to the single tone I'd that the Recon uses. I know that many users of the Infinium voiced their opinion that a single target tone was preferred. I have read tat with the Recon you had to "retune" afte each target detected? Not sure what that involves really but sounds annoying. I have seen some Recons going for around $450 on eBay lately, thought about picking one up just to try it. I do like the telescoping shaft and the overall appearance of the Recon and now Atx. I have an Infinium and I do lie it but it definetly could be improved. It will be interesting to see real world user reports on this new Garrett.
September 08, 2013 03:38PM
sailorman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now Johnnyanglo, that's not quite true! The
> contract goes to the lowest politically conected
> bidder......:-)

The contract goes to the politically connected bidder with the largest campaign contributions (regardless of the price).

Fixed it a bit sailorman.
September 08, 2013 07:24PM
I believe the New P.I. from Garrett is priced about like the Recon..

If you have ran a recon you will Know it is the most durable detector on the market...

nothing flimsy or cheap about it..

I think it could survive a blast...

seems they have kept the tone with echo report like the infinium...

they have moved the iron check to a switch ...Finally!!!the Infinium requires the knob rotation...to cumbersome...the switch will be welcome..

Now the switch is not fool proof but can be handy when used Knowingly ..

the Coils look very advanced..DD but a weird shaped DD it so seeems...look's more look dual field and quite possibly maybe a dual field DD Hyrbrid coil...
I still beleive theres great advancements to be made in coil design's...

The auto tune on or off is also very welcome...

I would surmise the small nugget is being heard in auto tune off and using the smaller inner winding....

doubt the pulse delay goes below 10...but there again coil's can help tremendously...

The coils should be industructable for the avaerage consumer..

coil wire inside shaft should help reduce wave action interferance thats sometimes plauqud the Infinium...

its not a dive unit it a 10 footer...it so seems ....same battery system the recon has...

Looks like they aslo have given a low iron tone for the check instead of the way the infinium does it...is it generated or is it actually more than the pulse advance like the infinium uses fro sort of a reverse dis as the call it...?that is the most exciting aspect it seem's...

could they of added some sort of VLF circuit in the housing just for the iron???? flip the switch shut off the pulse fire up the VLF ..if they did way advanced ...I hope they did...

Keith