Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Detectors Come and Go

Posted by Beach 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Detectors Come and Go
September 10, 2013 08:25PM
I'm fairly new at this hobby(12 years) and have seen many new detectors in that time, but there seems to be a few older machines that still get used on a regular basis by many people here. I'm not talking about an older machine you hunt with once a year for old time sake, I'm talking about machines that are 15-20 years old but still can hang with the new technology. For me it is a early CZ3D. I like the smooth running, ease of operation, depth and good tones(for my ears anyway). Do you have an older machine you use regularly, if so what it is that you like about it that keeps it in the rotation.
Re: Detectors Come and Go
September 10, 2013 10:42PM
For me, I love using my original bandido 2 , especially for a first hunt or two at a site, and when I want larger iron. Its simple, the audio and disc are great, works better than most in iron, and is comfortable to swing.
Another is the Sovereign...if I still detected ghetto parks, I never would have sold it. Ray
September 10, 2013 10:58PM
Whites 5900...Jus t a plain workhorse detector...best iron rejection ever made....analog bliss...

Keith
September 10, 2013 11:52PM
Hi Keith, I love my 6000 Di pro, and the Eagle 11 Sl. I think the 5900 and 6000 are about the same, i just wish they were not so heavie. Flintstone
September 11, 2013 12:04AM
CZ3D, the best machine ever made for finding old coins, very tough, very reliable, never let's me down.
September 11, 2013 12:29AM
Easy - my Troy X3. Maybe not quite as old as some of the others, but she still stays up with any of the big boys I've tried. Ease of use and flexibility of hunting areas except on the wet salt sand. I never cared for a silent search detector because I like to use my ears for target ID and discrimination, but the X3 still does a whale of a job when I take it out especially for dry beach sand and competition hunting.
September 11, 2013 12:34AM
Another nod to the CZ3D. Once tweaked by Tom it is one of the deepest detectors I have used, and a nickel killer to boot! I'm giving the F75se a chance to grow on me, but I will definitely be looking for a 1021 CZ3D when funds are available....
September 11, 2013 12:46AM
I have 2 old machines that I use for dirt and sand, the dirt one is the XLT, been using this for over 10 years now and the machine is 15 years old, the sand one is the CZ20, been using this machine for 3 to 4 years, can't remember when I got it and it's used, so it's about 5 to 10 years old, love them both, used the XLT on Monday, used the CZ20 today
September 11, 2013 02:22AM
A cz-3d. I have been metal detecting 41 yrs. this past march, started at 16. Have had 2 white's and 2 garretts and the cz3d beats them hands down where i live. I have been working an old fairground and a campmeeting grove with it for 5yrs. and have pulled 136 old coins( indians, two-centers, trimes, half dimes, seated dimes,barber dimes and quarters, and 25 shield nickels from these two spots. I am told that these places have been hit numerous times before. I like the slow sweep speed and how the enhanced mode brings the older indians, half dimes, and nickels into the high tone. I like my cz-3d so well that i bought another a 1021 off member Tmanly a year ago this past Aug. Mike
September 11, 2013 02:46AM
I definitely would like to try a cz-3d someday...hard to find one of the good ones
September 11, 2013 05:46AM
Gold Bug 2 since they first came out in, when, 1995? I got the very first one in Alaska and have used them ever since. I have two now, one to use and another "just in case".

I am beginning to doubt there will ever be a better detector for finding the tiniest gold in mineralized ground. The White's Goldmasters/GMT come very close but the GB2 takes the prize.
September 11, 2013 12:13PM
Heck the 20 year old CZ6 or 12 year old Explorer XS will hang in there with the best of them for deep silver or saltwater beaches...And older Tesoro notch units are great gold ring units. One wonders if we are going backwards and lets not forget the 20 year old XLT also...
September 11, 2013 06:16PM
I have a simple steel shovel made by Ames from 1971, that has found me more stuff by just digging holes.
September 11, 2013 09:09PM
My LosBanos Cz6a is still a favorite for my relic sites and as a backup machine on the wet salt beaches. One heck of a tough machine and never needed a repair after over twenty years of hard use.
September 11, 2013 10:15PM
Older Minelab Sovereigns. People on the forums are always asking about wet sand hunting. The older minelab Sovereigns do it just as well as anything made today.
September 12, 2013 01:10AM
Yep!