Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Deepest cz-3ds?

Posted by marcomo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Deepest cz-3ds?
September 11, 2013 02:51AM
There's a nice 1021 on fleabay certified by Tom at 12.0 and it made me wonder. What is the deepest cz-3d Tom has calibrated and certified?

Do any of the newer cz-3ds ever test out at as much as 12"? I don't recall ever seeing anything but a 1021 or 1121 certified at 12 inches or better.

Because of the inferior specs and tuning on at least most of newer cz-3ds, it seems like you lose a substantial amount of resale value before even "pulling it out of the garage"

So why would anybody buy a newly manufactured one?
Re: Deepest cz-3ds?
September 11, 2013 01:53PM
Certainly we all know Tom tunes them to get the Max depth capabilities. Just ask the guys that had them Tom tuned...

Having said the above have owned and used a new and older CZ3D and they were both deepseekers so I dunno....

Personally before I bought new would like to get the CZ3D tested and seems like your local dealer would be first on my list so I could test before I buy...

Having used many CZ models over the years 12 inches is about max I would think...
September 11, 2013 10:10PM
I have a First Texas CZ-3D Tom tuned and it will hit a clad dime at 12.1''. He said at the time it was the hottest First Texas CZ-3D He had on his bench! So there are some hot F.T. CZ-3D's out there you just have to find one. I will be holding on to this one for sure!
September 12, 2013 01:08AM
at the risk of sounding like a 'defeatist"
where can you really use the cz-3d?..as i understand it,
it is slow in the junk,and you are forced to use 'salt " mode.
the concern is,just about "all" old/new sites have tons of junk in them,
and (from what i read) render the cz-3d very hard to hunt with!..yes! you can use the 5"
'hockey puck" but it (again from what i have read) doesn't separate very well,because of the slow processor
in the detector. comments?

(h.h.)
j.t.
September 12, 2013 01:30AM
I wouldn't say that it doesn't separate well at all. In fact I will say it actually separates quite well as long as you do not have alot of iron as the CZs don't do well in it. I have taken my 3D into areas I thought I had cleaned out, that are full of modern park trash, and still managed to find old nickels among that junk....even w the 8" coil.

The CZ 3D is a very underrated machine....
September 12, 2013 02:16AM
JT - If what you were saying was true, those Los Banos cz-3ds wouldn't have such a sizable dedicated following of veteran skilled detectorists.

From my experience, which is admittedly way less than many here, a properly calibrated cz-3d can be used effectively in most older areas. My AT Pro with the small coil is my go to in heavy iron spots, but the cz-3d will soundly trump the AT for depth in moderate and light ferrous soils.

The enhance mode does pull in additional modern trash. But again, I've found that it can be used effectively at most older sites without digging that much more trash than the salt mode. And the enhance mode will pull quite a few old coins into the high tone that with other detectors (or salt mode) would be mid tone...a big plus.
September 12, 2013 12:44PM
In my experience CZ's although old technology will hang in there with the best of them and I used a bunch of units over the years and even though I feel the Minelab Sov's and Explorer series are excellent units when I hang up my boots a CZ will go down as my alltime favorite. Keep in mind I have not used some of the newest high priced gizmos and from feedback seems like they are excellent units. Nuff said I guess but until you try one
and master it you will never know..
September 12, 2013 08:15PM
I would have to 2nd that! I have taken my CZ3D to the parks several times and it's a beast! My father went with me more than once to a beat to death park and could not believe the success I was having after all these years of detecting. It's a fun detector to use as well as being simple to operate...

Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wouldn't say that it doesn't separate well at
> all. In fact I will say it actually separates
> quite well as long as you do not have alot of iron
> as the CZs don't do well in it. I have taken my 3D
> into areas I thought I had cleaned out, that are
> full of modern park trash, and still managed to
> find old nickels among that junk....even w the 8"
> coil.
>
> The CZ 3D is a very underrated machine....
September 15, 2013 01:31AM
well! it looks like i got my a** handed to me!..actually i have had my reservations about the cz-3d,
but thanks to all you fine folks,the clouds have lifted,and the sun is shining again!..is it possible to get a "good"
cz-3d from fisher as a brand new unit,or am i forced to chase the #1011's out of los banos?..thanks!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
September 16, 2013 12:16PM
My very first target ID machine was a CZ machine. It was the CZ-70 Pro. My head was filled with new places to take my new coin getter. Except at the time, I didn't understand just how bad my soil was locally. So all I knew was on the forums, people were seeing their CZs go deep and I was convinced I was doing something bad wrong, because I wasn't seeing anywhere near the depth they were getting. Later on, I bought a CZ-3D when it came out. By this time, I had discovered the Fisher CoinStrike and had been using it to relic hunt with...and doing quite well with it. I remember taking the CZ to a new camp I had just found and was target checking signals. I knew the CoinStrike really well at this time...and had marked several good hits. I checked them with the CZ and was quite shocked to not get signals on almost all of the good hits. These in turn, turned out to be dropped minie balls and a couple of eagle buttons. By this time I had figured out that the CZ platform just might not be the best of machines for my soil. I can't even remember what I went to from that point...seems like it might have been a Minelab Quattro or something as my next ID machine.
September 16, 2013 01:33PM
If my Coinstrike didn't call every rusty bottlecap a high coin once I learned it got some nice deep silver. Never learned to tell the difference so it was sold.
Indeed like everything else nothing is perfect and can imagine in some areas a CZ would do poor..One wonders how many good coins I lost over the years to masking from iron junk and of course nails was another problem...In my neck of the woods they performed quite well and thanks for bringing out the info about your ground....Again when I hang up my boots a CZ will go down as my favorite deep silver unit so use what works in your area comes to mind...
September 17, 2013 06:12AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In my experience CZ's although old technology will
> hang in there with the best of them and I used a
> bunch of units over the years and even though I
> feel the Minelab Sov's and Explorer series are
> excellent units when I hang up my boots a CZ will
> go down as my alltime favorite. Keep in mind I
> have not used some of the newest high priced
> gizmos and from feedback seems like they are
> excellent units. Nuff said I guess but until you
> try one
> and master it you will never know..

i agree in principal dan!..no reflection on you personally,but
using YOUR money to illustrate YOUR point comes to mind.
i'll just let you buy one for $800.00 or so,have you tape up the coil,
and i'll do some "crappy" old park hunting with it...this way,if it cannot find it's own
"arse" in the junk,then i can just give it back to you,and call it a day!..on the other hand,
if it finds the "world",then i'll just give yours back,and go buy my own!..(hot damn)
keeps gettin' better and better!.(lol)

(h.h.!)
j.t.