Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Depth is more with less

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Depth is more with less
September 30, 2013 01:10AM
I read this at another forum and I hope it's OK to post...I wondered about a lower sens when hunting around a lot of iron now with this new info I wonder if it holds true for all hunting. Anyone have a test garden you can try this with on your deep coins.

Had a talk yesterday with our local Garrett repairman. He was bench testing a Garrett AT-Gold he had reset to factory specs and informed me of something I did not know. He air tested and ground tested it in his coin garden. and at factory specs the AT-GOLD gets the best depth at sensitivity setting 3, anything higher just ups the gain on objects and starts to cause sound blurring. Now this is in our soil which is pretty high mineralization. Anywhere from 74 to 86 when ground balanced.

Not sure about other places but at 3 sensitivity notches he could hit a silver dime at 10"+ and a silver quarter at 12". Just figured I'd pass this on, as I know many people run their sensitivity wide open or 2 notches from full. Tested mine at 3 notches yesterday and I was hitting rusty bottlecaps at 7-8"

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: Depth is more with less
September 30, 2013 02:37AM
It's the sane thing w the CZ's, 4.5 is about highest I can run my 3D without it falsing and get maximum depth.
wjs
September 30, 2013 11:48AM
Its funny you posted this. I was just playing around with my V3i doing some in ground tests. I was amazed at the depth I was getting even on sensitivity of 20 ( out of a possible 100). I am one who usually tries to run mine as close to wide open as I can. I am finding what you said to be true with the V3i. Even on a much lower sens setting I am still digging deeper targets and I am sure the detector is a lot quieter and does not false as bad either.
September 30, 2013 12:38PM
I get a different result, in the right spots, in my fairly inert FL soil with an Etrac. In one somewhat trashy but very old spot I often hunt near where I live I can hit the deepest targets when running my sens within a point or two of wide open. Yes, your ears get a little tired of listening to the chatter but when I've located something I suspect is a deep old coin if I turn the sens down some I loose the deepest targets.

Now if I'm struggling through pull tabs and can slaw, not the best place for an Etrac, I have to back off the sens or it seems to miss targets from being overwhelmed by all that blasted aluminum.
September 30, 2013 12:57PM
The idea is to set sens. as high as you can while keeping a stable unit as if higher sens. gives more depth on good targets it surely does the same for the junk. Never had a unit that I could run max sens and of course all depends on your ground and particular hunting grounds. Getting to know your unit in your neck of the woods is where its at and experimentation is in order and indeed high sens. is not always condusive to extreme depth. Valuable info to know as what is right in Pa. may not be in Ca if you get my drift.
September 30, 2013 05:00PM
Hi,,hey LowBoy I can only speak for the AT Pro....If I turn my AT down that low I can not acquire a penny at 8" but can hit it with the sensitivity turned up....He's kinda right on the audio on some selected targets in certain areas sounding smeared with the use of to much sensitivity....I tend to use this sound to my advantage when ever possible ....The best thing that any of us can do is experiment with our settings....A setting that works good in one area may not work good in another area....I'm actually going through this dilemma right now....I'm working a place that is like tin can alley...At first it was the dreaded flattened bottle caps sounding good but with some perseverance I licked that problem and I am starting to get rewarded quite regularly ....I been trying to find the best settings for this particular site and won't quit until I do....I have an older machine that works wonders in this area but it has to be worked at a faster sweep (to get depth) and I know I'm leaving stuff in the ground yet... I will go again today to try some more different settings....HIH....JJ
October 01, 2013 12:42AM
With the advent of the DD coil equipped modern units....... my findings have revealed that; the higher the trash...... and the higher the Sensitivity...... the better the unmasking abilities with subsequent enhancements in depth. I believe I reported this in many threads like the AT Pro field test report, F75 LTD field test report.... and a few other units. A paradox indeed........ yet; becoming more the 'norm'.
October 01, 2013 01:04PM
I have never bought into the 'high beams in the fog' theory. I think the fog is in the persons brain, not being able to keep up with what the unit is reporting. Unless you are clad stabbing, is the only reason I can see turning down the sens, or, maybe, maybe emi. Oh, and if your unit maxes out sens at a lower number.

I will do everything else to reduce emi before lowering the sens and often will hunt through it.
I'm speaking from a old coin/relic hunters way of operating, not trying to be a smart alec.
October 02, 2013 10:46AM
Steve....... correct approach.
October 02, 2013 04:38PM
A test garden is a great way to have different setups to test your detectors..I wish I had the room for one.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
October 04, 2013 12:38AM

... higher the trash...... and the higher the Sensitivity...... the better the unmasking abilities with subsequent enhancements in depth.

I would assume that this techniques works best when the ground doesn't contain large amounts of iron oxides? Such as the Florida areas. Or in the case of FBS detectors away from conductive saltwater beaches?

Otherwise, the instability and falsing would be counterproductive to any gain in unmasking ability.
October 04, 2013 11:37AM
Correct. If mineralization becomes too heavy, then the electronic design of the platform dictates amount of hinderance.