Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ 5 neophyte

Posted by carvlin7 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ 5 neophyte
October 08, 2013 06:45PM
Greetings, All - first post though I've been reading for over a year. Just bought a CZ 5 that was never used/assembled in original packaging - a dealer gone out of business S/N 1123.... I have learned a great deal here and plan to learn the machine well before considering any upgrade or modification - my question: Is there a 'warm up' curve to the machine? Both daily and overtime should I expect it to 'settle in'? Lots of one way signals and have only spent a 6 or 8 hours with it so far. I have been using an MXT for 2 years and a Bandido Umax for a year - the Tesoro is so definitive when over a target whereas the CZ leaves me guessing a bit. Sens at 5ish, volume the same, Disc at 0 or 1 and fairly well ground balanced. Any advice is greatly appreciated -
Re: CZ 5 neophyte
October 08, 2013 07:37PM
Personally when I use a CZ of any type - I don't use any disc at all - I set it to 0 and listen for the deep targets

deep iron (especially rusty nails will be the hard one) - even after 18 yrs of using a cz of some type I still get fooled once in a while

a lot of times they're dead give aways by listening for a crackle in the sound while pin pointing and/or if the target pin points off center from where you hit the target while swinging over it - another way is if it's not a smooth softer tone with a round sound but abruptly cuts off as you swing over it - that's usually a sign of iron too.

Sens can be pushed as high as your dirt & the emi will allow - I can usually run wide open in my dirt and emi doesn't have much effect on a cz unless directly under/close to the big/tall power feed towers

faint hits in the pulltab/zinc range can be deep V nickels, buffs, indians/etc - I usually won't dig that range unless it's showing 5 inches or deeper depending on where I'm hunting - I will if at the beach but in dirt if a target falls in that range I won't dig unless it's 5 inches or deeper as many times it's one of the coins listed above

work slow with the cz in trashy areas - it doesn't have a fast recovery - running in 0 disc helps but it's not a deus or f75 or the like by any means so slow down and listen for the deep ones.

I'm sure others will chime in with some good tips

welcome aboard and HH

MRH
October 08, 2013 10:11PM
Google Mikes CZ Page( its a bible for CZ owners)
October 09, 2013 03:03AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Google Mikes CZ Page( its a bible for CZ owners)

I second that.
October 09, 2013 01:43PM
Thank you fellas - I read Mike's page a number of times before buying the CZ. I've put a few hours each evening into it - and yes, have found some rusty nails - but liking it quite a bit so far. The 'stray high tones' at the end of swings or mixed tones are taking a bit of getting used to, but I like to rely on the sounds and get to know how it 'talks' before depending too much on the meter.

Thank you again - I've learned a great deal from reading your posts over the past year or so.

HH always
October 09, 2013 02:32PM
Basically rel those blasted rusty nails...For the most part if the target won't repeat from several angles don't dig...After a while you will find those signals 8 inches or more may only repeat from two angles and experience is the best teacher but all in all if it don't repeat from 5-6 inches or so leave it go.
Also once you dig a plug the target pinpoint seems to move to the side its usually a nail. Experiment with some signals and after a while the nails or iron you dig will be small at best. Still remember back in 1992 with my original CZ6 I dug 8 deep rusty nails in a row and wanted to wrap the unit around a tree but fast forward over the years and rarely dig a nail...so it does take time and practice...
October 09, 2013 03:28PM
Hunt in 0 disc so you can hear the iron hits. As mentioned, rotate around the target as your sweeping the coil. If I get more than 1 or 2 iron grunts, I pass. There is always the exception depending on factors like depth, if I'm finding good targets collocated at the same depth as nails/iron, etc. At any new site I like to get a feel for what going on by digging it all at first. Straight nails aren't to bad for me anymore, but bent nails are even tougher to ID.
October 10, 2013 02:56PM
Good advice all - I am circling and listening - and digging. As you say, I want to know what the machine is saying so digging is the best way to learn. Spending a few months with an old Tesoro Umax was probably the best way to learn to listen - it changed the way I approach the MXT and now the CZ. Having a meter is a bit of a crutch that I think is too valuable to forego, but I'm learning the sounds are the key. Wish I had started this hobby years ago!
October 12, 2013 11:20PM
carvlin7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you fellas - I read Mike's page a number of
> times before buying the CZ. I've put a few hours
> each evening into it - and yes, have found some
> rusty nails - but liking it quite a bit so far.
> The 'stray high tones' at the end of swings or
> mixed tones are taking a bit of getting used to,
> but I like to rely on the sounds and get to know
> how it 'talks' before depending too much on the
> meter.
>
> Thank you again - I've learned a great deal from
> reading your posts over the past year or so.
>

Sometimes, those high tones at the end of your swing are caused by the coil getting lifted & tilted a little. Shorten the overall width of your swing & keep the coil parallel to the ground . Make sure you sweep is smooth & not jerking at the end of swings, too. Lowering the sensitivity can also help. Takes a little practice to get the " swing "of things ! [ sorry ]
> HH always
October 17, 2013 03:09AM
Stray high tones at end of swing can be caused by raising coil at end of swing. I had a los banos cz5 for 18 yrs & always used it in zero disc(on mine if one discd out iron- it would false (high tone) on some iron. Above 4.5 (in my ground) sens it didnt go deeper, but went plenty deep at 4.5. I used it in the water(fresh) a lot with box hung around my neck, it was very good on small rings and jewelry.