Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

GMP 5-inch Nel Coil...WOW!!!! GAME ON!!! 1/22/14 Video Added

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
GMP 5-inch Nel Coil...WOW!!!! GAME ON!!! 1/22/14 Video Added
January 22, 2014 12:00AM
I must say the NEL 5 inch on the GMP is the REAL DEAL..

built like a tank....Heay for size put its pure 5 inch epoxy fill...excellent connectors ,excellent cable...comes with coil cover..High quality component,,,

Airtest

Dime 12.5 "
Nickle 15"
Quarter 15.5"
Eagle Coat size Button 15.5

Way better at depth then the 5x10...not quite as deep as the 9 inch but it seems to have more usable depth in iron...

I have about an hour of video I'm trimming down right now for You-tube...

I found some targets the 9 inch seems to have missed in the ring site from the other day.. nothing great..One unique piece was a large piece of brass out of iron that the big coil walked over and it wasnt deep...

also found a Parasol top about 8 inches in red clay sounded great..( For some reason the File is unreadable for the Parasol dig ...I hate that it I talked along time about it too LOL!!)... ...coil sees thorugh airgap(Pinestraw) very well compared to the 5x10...

I will get the video uploaded this evening and add it here..

I probably wont take this coil off the machine for my type site work..

this is a coil the DEUS need's...

More to follow..

1/22/14

Theres something different that happens to the 5 inch NEL coil in iron when comparing to the 9 inch stock....

Here's what I see...in just nails only they both see the same target's...you know the nail bard type test...

now when the bigger iron comes into play like kettle pieces and spikes and such ..you know the studd larger than nails...the 5 inch has an advantage as it should....

But heres where it gets interesting ...when the sens is truned up on the 5 inch to full it can hold its own with a large coil ofor depth...but when the sens is truned back on the 5 inch its more noticable in depth drop vs the large coil when dialed back...say 50% on the 5 is weak 50% on the large is still way hot...

I wonder if the GMP is the type machine that the sens effects the transmit instead of the receive...

Once the video is uploaded ....wathc when I recover the big piece of brass in the iron..Im at half sens...watch when i trun up the sens the deep iron comes alive in the site...You see it..

on that same site with the 9 inch turning the sens back it still is a constant iron barrage...9" Coil is too hot to hear that target even though its just nails but thers a deep larger piece of iron that is on down in the ground...

the small coil by design? or by chance seem's more linear on the sens than the large coil....

On the T2 this is not the case the small coil behaves like the big coil as you run the sen up and down it jsut satys hot...I think the T2 the sens effects the recieve...

the GMP may have a true front end circuit for transmitt power?

Now the sens idea is all speculation....but for the first time Im able to run sens back and get better results in dense iron than staying wide open as I usually do....And its the coil doing it..

High gain machines are tricky to run in iron especially for falsing as we know but I see dramatic results with this coil on the sens setting Vs outcome in the dirt in the first few inches..

A tejon is another machine like the t2 thats just seem to be running wide open all the time in iron no matter the sens setting it just stay's noisy...no matter the coil size..

The GMP 5 NEl combo is Unique and needs further investigating...

Video of a hunt in iron with it....lost one important dig in pinstrw that was about 8 inches deep on a Parasol top..I hated that.. but said the file was corrupt?

I had to get the quality from 1080P down to 480.. it was going to take 3200 minutes to upload..this quality took 10 minute's.Not really worth recording longer videos in HD.. takes to long to upload if it all...

watch what happens when I crank up the sens about half way through the vid.The ground will come alive with hit's..But dont think I would of found the big brass piece on High sens...

[www.youtube.com]

Keith

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2014 12:08AM by Keith Southern.
Re: GMP 5-inch Nel Coil...WOW!!!! GAME ON!!!
January 22, 2014 12:08AM
15" on a nickel, that sounds like my stock coil on a nickel.
January 22, 2014 12:18AM
Good to hear you have the same opinion as I do on the NEL's Keith

They are built very high quality -- much better than most factory coils

MRH
Wayne
January 22, 2014 12:38AM
I also think it is the only NEL coil with a 5 year warranty. I am still waiting on the Sharpshooter and Hunter coil to arrive. Keith I am looking forward to the video, so get trimming...lol

Tom in SC
January 22, 2014 01:03AM
Ive alwasy been a big fan of smaller coils Vs larger coils...But then again Im doing site work...and this coil is no exception....it allows the already excellent GMP to take advantage of the smaller coils that other machines require in iron...well do the math best machine in iron with best coil size in iron...it adds up to a one upper...

I was worried the small coil would not be Hot...but my worries were in vain..Its a coil I can compare to a T2 5 inch...not the boosted T2 with 5 inch.. nothing compares to that with that combo..but its as good as a 5 inch on a stock T2 in comaprison for HOT'S

Keith
January 22, 2014 01:14AM
Keith,

You have a hot machine, I am getting just about the same air test depths with my stock 9" coil also.

I'm assuming your Sens.setting is fully CW, then turned CCW just to the point where it's stable (about 95%).

My 5" coil is suppose to be here Friday (depending on weather up North).

I got the last one Ron (goldiggermetaldetectors.com) had in stock.

Ron
January 22, 2014 01:30AM
Yes MY GMP will hit a nickle with stock 9 inch coil at 21 inches in airtest.. so you see it drop's off from stock about 6.5"... but thats not bad..

Yet My Stock coil will only do about 17 on a quarter..yet on the 5 inch both nickle and quarter are close to same...

now a large target like the big piece of brass I dig in the video test out to 21 on the 5 inch coil..but not much more on the stock coil???

Weird the way it works...

teh 5 inch seems more size dependant than conductance dependant...

But NEL has done their homework on the coils they make..very impressive...the quality is there...I am constantly amazed out what come's out of Bulgaria...Those guys over there are not playing around with the research they are doing..

And they are not afraid to build a coil for any machine!!

And yes I do have a hot machine for some reason..

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2014 03:15AM by Keith Southern.
January 22, 2014 02:44AM
Now Keith.... this is a hot GMP...lol

[www.youtube.com]

Tom in SC
January 22, 2014 03:14AM
Hey Tom...

Look out ...LOL!!!

Keith
January 22, 2014 03:24AM
I spoke too soon, sorry Keith, he has a much hotter machine than you. lol
January 22, 2014 03:37AM
Hey Ron dont put too much into the airtest depths...

I may be in an ultra quite site and you may be in a site that has some silent EMI..too many variables to speak of to compare airtest depths ...

most of the modern machine's especially the XPs are going to be very uniform...nad what i call a hit may not be what another person considers a hit Etc...so rest assured you have a good unit for low conductors in iron...

Best thing I ever did around here for less EMI is I went with a Satelite dish...I notice it in the machines even out in the yard.. way more quite..

Keith
January 22, 2014 04:22AM
Yes Keith, that exactly what the DEUS needs.
I wonder why the XP people don't see it that way?
Looking forward to your video...
January 22, 2014 07:45AM
Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes Keith, that exactly what the DEUS needs.
> I wonder why the XP people don't see it that way?
> Looking forward to your video...

Aaron

I heard it's because XP can't fit all of the components of the wireless tech into a smaller coil

the 9'' is as small as they can go in being able to fit everything inside of it in order for the machine to function as it does

don't know how true that is but that's what I've been told as to why they don't make anything smaller for the Deus

I'd settle for a 5x8 DD elliptical if they could figure that out!
January 22, 2014 03:54PM
Well Michigan....if that's the case the next best thing that comes along that trumps the DEUS w a smaller coil, (and I'm not talking GMP) it's by-by DEUS!

Thanks

Aaron
January 22, 2014 04:58PM
Seriously? In this era of micro-electronics they can't fit what they need in a 6 inch coil? That is hard to believe. Are profit and sales numbers so poor that it just is not worth it? Well, that I can believe. It seems a ripe situation for someone to sweep the market with a clever investment and big technology jump (also a great way to maybe make a millionaire out of a billionaire). Any takers?

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
January 22, 2014 05:51PM
Valid point considering blue tooth technology is tiny enough for the tiny little headsets, how much space could it take to put it in a 5" coil when it can be put in a little cell phone?
Cut it out XP, just make a smaller coil now!
Re: GMP 5-inch Nel Coil...WOW!!!! GAME ON!!! 1/22/14 more info
January 22, 2014 07:01PM
Maybe you've forgotten about the battery? And I'm pretty sure the frequency-changing is in part carried out by a latching relay, which, though not large, aren't readily available in miniature sizes. It may be possible to make a reduced-feature coil without the relay, say 12/18K only, imo.
Plus, the closer the battery/electronics gets to the coil wire, the more problems it causes in terms of affecting the coil nulling (induction balance). It may be trickier (ie. time-consuming, fiddly,expensive) to manufacture the coil.
I tend to agree that economics is probably the dominant driver - it would cost exactly the same as the stock coil - in fact the miniaturisation may even make it cost more. This wouldn't make it popular with customers, who somehow expect smaller coils to magically cost less.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2014 07:05PM by Pimento.
January 22, 2014 07:08PM
I totally agree most folks do not or are ignorant IRT R&D costs, even though this hobby does pay for itself.

I myself would still pay $500.00 for a 5" DEUS coil...which btw is the same cost as the big coil...

I can't believe w all the ancient iron over in Europe the relic hunters over there are not screaming for a smaller DEUS coil.
January 22, 2014 07:15PM
If I may interject for a minute Aaron...

The way my understanding is over in Europe on the roman sites is that the iron is mostly small and cover's wide area's maybe an acre...and they require a different coil..

the beauty of the DEUS or GMP is the small coil does no better than the big coil in just small nail debris...and theres tons of that ..and alot fo that is decomposed...

they dont face the abundace of lare iron as we do on our site we call old....yes I know we hunt 200 year iold sites but we are eat up in iron of all sizes...I think there iron is 2000 year old and of the smaller variety...

but if I may add this that I have seen on the small Vs large coil on the GMP for information. for us American multi layer all size iron hunter's...

Theres something different that happens to the 5 inch NEL coil in iron when comparing to the 9 inch stock....

Here's what I see...in just nails only they both see the same target's...you know the nail bard type test...

now when the bigger iron comes into play like kettle pieces and spikes and such ..you know the studd larger than nails...the 5 inch has an advantage as it should....

But heres where it gets interesting ...when the sens is truned up on the 5 inch to full it can hold its own with a large coil ofor depth...but when the sens is truned back on the 5 inch its more noticable in depth drop vs the large coil when dialed back...say 50% on the 5 is weak 50% on the large is still way hot...

I wonder if the GMP is the type machine that the sens effects the transmit instead of the receive...

Once the video is uploaded ....wathc when I recover the big piece of brass in the iron..Im at half sens...watch when i trun up the sens the deep iron comes alive in the site...You see it..

on that same site with the 9 inch turning the sens back it still is a constant iron barrage...9" Coil is too hot to hear that target even though its just nails but thers a deep larger piece of iron that is on down in the ground...

the small coil by design? or by chance seem's more linear on the sens than the large coil....

On the T2 this is not the case the small coil behaves like the big coil as you run the sen up and down it jsut satys hot...I think the T2 the sens effects the recieve...

the GMP may have a true front end circuit for transmitt power?

Now the sens idea is all speculation....but for the first time Im able to run sens back and get better results in dense iron than staying wide open as I usually do....And its the coil doing it..

High gain machines are tricky to run in iron especially for falsing as we know but I see dramatic results with this coil on the sens setting Vs outcome in the dirt in the first few inches..

A tejon is another machine like the T2 thats just seem to be running wide open all the time in iron no matter the sens setting it just stay's noisy...no matter the coil size..

The GMP 5 NEl combo is Unique and needs further investigating...

Keith
January 22, 2014 07:24PM
Quote:"I can't believe with all the ancient iron over in Europe the relic hunters over there are not screaming for a smaller DEUS coil."

They probably find the stock coil pretty capable, to be honest, and unless you tried a smaller coil, you wouldn't actually know if it would be great or not. And as the only small coils are for the GMP, and they seem to have only recently been released(?), not many have experienced them. Plus, despite what you read about land in Europe, it's not all intensely iron-infested, there's plenty of land that probably wasn't farmed until the 1700's, for example. And there's lots of pasture-land, and woodland, that's not been intensively used. People buy the Deus here because it's a good all-round machine, not specifically because they have 'difficult' ground to detect.

Quote;"I think there iron is 2000 year old and of the smaller variety... "

In my experience, there's plenty of every size iron - small to large nails, horseshoes, 5 pound lumps of Victorian plough-share it's all there..., and a lot of it is from the past 400 years. In Roman / Celtic times, the population was MUCH lower.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2014 07:33PM by Pimento.
January 22, 2014 07:57PM
I only speak from personal experience as Ive re-hunted areas w my CTX w 6" coil that I POUNDED w my DEUS, in all settings and configurations and still manage to find non-fe targets that I missed w the DEUS
Last year I was challenged by Tom to find ANY non-fe targets in a area he has pounded and re-pounded w his F-75 w/5" coil and GMP (stock coil i think) and w the CTX 6" still manage to find a old .22 cal bullet.
I never thought the CTX would perform that well in iron however it does hold it's own against the DEUS. I can't help but wonder how the DEUS would do w a smaller coil.

Thanks guys

Aaron
Video
January 23, 2014 04:58AM
Heres the video Link for the 5" coil test..

[www.youtube.com]

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2014 05:02AM by Keith Southern.
Re: GMP 5-inch Nel Coil...WOW!!!! GAME ON!!! 1/22/14 Video Added
January 23, 2014 02:34PM
Are those just guesstimated figures for air tests or is that actual marked measurements? I'm sorry to be the skeptic.The figures for your 5" coil bypass the F75 I have right now with a 13" coil and in motion all metal mode, and your figures for the 9" coil surpass the F75 by almost 8 inches. If it were just a little bit, I might could go with that. But eight inches? Come on now. If the GMP and Deus with GMP are pretty equal in performance...I don't see how those figures are possible. I didn't get anywhere near those numbers with the Deus in GMP mode. In the ground, I can see where a loss of performance would occur...but in an air test, most all machines should test out to about the same. Those figures blow away anything I've ever seen or heard about in a 5 or 9 inch coil.
January 23, 2014 03:29PM
Heres the 5 inch coil airtest Daniel

[www.youtube.com]

Theres a video on here also of the 9 inch doing 21 on nickle..

but remembr this is a high freq machine and it will airtest well..

Keith
January 24, 2014 08:57AM
I would like to see the videos but my laptop stopped playing any kind of flash videos a few months ago. It only has a blank black screen.
January 24, 2014 12:23PM
Impressive Keith!

It's funny to finally after all these years to put the name w the face...

Thanks

Aaron
January 24, 2014 03:50PM
Well Keith they make one for the AT-Gold and I may have to get it! Man that little thing does air test good!! I appreciate you doing these videos for us, nothing quite like show and tell!! Heck these detector and coil company's should put you on their payroll cause you bring them business.
January 24, 2014 07:58PM
Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> It's funny to finally after all these years to put
> the name w the face...
>
> Thanks
>
> Aaron

exactly what I was thinking.
January 25, 2014 03:25AM
If you got paid for it Morgan it would be like a Job then ....

I already have a Job !!

I want to enjoy my time when im not at my JOB!!!

Everything detecting brings me solace and that's my reward!!

Hey Aaron and Goldman you must of missed my mugshot on here earlier in the year LOL!!!

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2014 04:56AM by Keith Southern.
January 25, 2014 04:06AM
Didnt I see that pic at the post office??? ha