Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Oldest Coin Yet and With the F75

Posted by ShovelNose 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Oldest Coin Yet and With the F75
February 28, 2014 01:35AM
Went to the site that I posted earlier that had all the Indian history and at the last minute plans fell through. So I took a shot and went to the neighbors house that let me hunt at the old stone wall that is just off the wagon trail that gave up the 1853 Seated dime. As luck would have it the owner was there and gave me the OK. Took the F75 with the 5" due to all the growth and minerals on that site. Its tough hunting except around wall with really hard dirt. First target was a bit bouncy but around 70. It was slightly tilted up against a rock from the wall at about an inch deep. 1835 Capped Bust dime. One of those had to catch my breath moments. Came around other side of rocks and got another good tone. Same as last tucked tight to a large stone used for the wall that had fallen off the stack. 1901 O Barber dime. Took the finds by the owners house and first thing that came out of his mouth was "I want this coin". Crap didn't see that coming. Convinced him to let me keep it long enough to show it at club meeting next week. Took my phone number and before I got to truck the phone rings. He was making sure I gave him the correct number. My phone contract ends Monday so I guess its time for a new number. LOL Something is up at Photobucket. This is the only way I could get links to my pics.
[s1257.photobucket.com]
[s1257.photobucket.com]
Re: Oldest Coin Yet and With the F75
February 28, 2014 05:37AM
Congrats on those great, exciting finds. That bust dime is sweet!

Also a valuable reminder for others to make sure any found items shown to the permission granter are not so great. Common date wheaties make wonderful show off to the owner coins.
February 28, 2014 12:37PM
Awesome recoveries, I've found only 4 barber dimes and 1 barber quarter with my F75.
Wow.
February 28, 2014 12:51PM
Good finds. That makes for a lousy feeling when they want one of your hard earned coins....especially a nice rarely found coin. That happened to me....once.
February 28, 2014 02:01PM
Wow, I bet you were excited to see that.
I really like my LTD.
February 28, 2014 02:35PM
beautiful coin man!!!
February 28, 2014 02:48PM
Those are some beautiful coins, congrats!
February 28, 2014 03:41PM
You did the honerable thing, ShovelNose

Nice find on the bust dime, those do not come around too often, but maybe on a return visit you will nab another. At least you have a place to hunt for such old coins.

I did the same thing with a property owner, I found 2 seated liberty quarters and told hime to take his pick of one of them. He took the most worn quarter and said I could return anytime I wanted to, not too bad of deal for me. This was at a late 1800's picknic grove. If I had found two gold coins, it might have turned out different....lol
February 28, 2014 04:05PM
1835 that the same date as my birthday

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 28, 2014 04:12PM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1835 that the same date as my birthday

hahaha
February 28, 2014 09:22PM
Congratulations on the 1835 dime. I have been detecting for over 15 years and my earliest coin has been 1852. The 1835 Dime is not monetarily valuable. But it is a fantastic find for a metal detectorist. I would find it hard to give it up, considering all of the hours of detecting that go into finding a coin that old. A dime in the same condition or better can be bought on eBay For $19.95 to $30.00. I would buy a dime in the same condition or better and give him a choice of one of the two, the one you bought or the one you found. Even if he choose the one you found, you would still have a 1835 dime for your collection of finds.
February 28, 2014 11:05PM
That's a great idea, ctx.
February 28, 2014 11:30PM
Awesome saves.
February 28, 2014 11:38PM
That must have been a very pleasant surprise. Getting such a coin for a first target, and only an inch deep.

When I first started out detecting, nearly 4 years ago with the E-trac, my 2nd silver coin find was an 1898 Barber dime. It was about an inch deep in hard-packed soil, next to a rock outcropping on a hillside. I was consistently pulling out surface clad pennies there when a barber dime popped out. Back then, being a beginner, that was an incredible find to me.

Your 1835 Capped Bust dime is truly a coin to be proud of. I sure hope the property owner will allow you to hunt there again, since you were honest about your finds there.

Congrats on your “new” oldest coin find.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
March 01, 2014 01:39AM
Will be shopping for one. Even though they are they same coin I found that one. That means everything to me. I can buy coins all day but to save one from being lost, very satisfying to me. If I tell the property owner from the start that I will give him my finds I live up to that obligation. He didn't ask and I didn't offer. Pretty sure I'm done with the site but I gave him my word and my friend of 40 years is his neighbor. No though required. He has only owned this property for 6 years and not family land so no history on the site for him. Just saw the date.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2014 01:42AM by ShovelNose.
March 01, 2014 02:54AM
A couple folks here have said showing the property owner the coin was the honorable or honest thing. That implies not showing the owner the coin would not have been.

Assuming there were no preconditions attached to the permission, there is nothing dishonest, dishonorable or in any way unethical about not showing a permission granter finds that have been made.

If the detectorist agreed to show the owner all his finds before permission was granted, that's a different story. Likewise if someone were to offer to split or otherwise share finds with the owner, then holding back would absolutely be dishonest and unethical.

I've seen too many stories like this when nice finds are shown and greed raises its ugly head.

Good luck finding a similar coin, shovel nose. I feel badly for you. Most of us who detect would surely agree with you that the biggest value the coin has is based on the fact that you found it.
March 01, 2014 03:05AM
marcomo -- well stated; I agree!

Steve
March 01, 2014 12:23PM
I was on a very old property a couple years ago. I was acquainted with the owner because I was bidding on remodeling a very old part of the home,..and he was my daughters boss. At first meet, to be honest, I didn't like the guy. I sensed he was only out for himself with no regards for anyone else. He would always come out to greet me with his rottweiler...beautiful dog.

One day to help him out, I offered to hand dig down to check footing depth of the proposed part of the house, just to know if the structure was up to code for the remodel and for his architect. While digging, I was pulling out very old bottles, must have been at least 2 dozen. I would stack them in the old walk-in fireplace with all the other bottles he had found. When I was finished, after about an hour, I asked him if I could have one of the bottles...he said "na, we'll just stack them up and sort them out later".

During this time, same day, he allowed me to detect the property. After about a half hour detecting, I dug my favorite coin, a beautiful walking liberty half. He came out of the house as I was examining it, so I showed it to him. He smiled and said he was going to go in and wash it. He came back out and held it while showing it to me, then put it in his pocket.....hmm, my gut feeling was right, this guy IS a schmuck. Oh well, at least I'm detecting an old property.

Well, didn't get the job, didn't get any bottles and didn't get a thanks for the footing inspection.....my read on the guy was spot on....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2014 12:38PM by ozzie.
March 01, 2014 02:13PM
Reminds me of the farmer that gave permission with no stipulations but his teenage boy followed him around and pocketed a bust half he dug.

Moral of story hunt the area when the kid is in school. Personally refuse to hunt an area where the owner gets the coins but always give sentimental items including gold rings and such especially if its a family homestead and likely belonged to one of his kin...
March 01, 2014 04:58PM
Wow Ozzie,what a dirtbag that guy was. Since we are both in the trades,I guess we have similar experiences. My worst customer was one that my gut told me would be trouble...
On another note...I have installed several roofs for my vet and his wife Karen. They do me right on my dogs,and I keep their reroof projects affordable. They live in a 1890s Victorian with about 2acres . She called me the other day and said she was ready to put metal roof on her porch. But she didnt want to take off existing shingles to keep cost down. I said let me detect and I will tear off old roof free. She said no problem, then told me she believes there was another older house on her property and that she thinks she knows where the bottles are too! Gonna have fun real soon!
March 01, 2014 11:39PM
Yea Ray, going with your gut can and will save a lot of aggravation. "It's best to say 'thanks, but no thanks".
March 02, 2014 02:25AM
I once gained permission to detect an CW sight and the first hunt found several bullets and nice eagle buttons along with a silver Rosevelt dime . I showed the farmer all my nice relics and told him as appreciation for letting me hunt to take what ever he wanted and he grabbed the 56 dime . Boy was I happy and he thought he got the most choice item lol .
March 02, 2014 06:05AM
Another one I've seen numerous posts about is after good finds are shown to the owner, permission gets rescinded.