Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I bet the family that found the gold coin hoard wishes they would have kept their mouths shut now!

Posted by bigboar 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I dont understand why you would go tell the world when you make a find like they did......

[pjmedia.com]
Thats our government for ya!!!!
Yes, but they're from California. I hear they absolutely love to pay taxes out there. LOL
Big brother is always listening....I had to pay like 6,000 bucks when I retired early due to the Gran-Rudman act and really thought about it but after hearing the penalties did pay the penalty. Understand its now before Supreme Court but heck they are not going to hear it after 20 plus years. Come to think of it where and how would you ever get the bucks out of such a large cache. Bet I get some answers on the last part of my post....
Slowly and quietly. Sell one of lesser value and work your way through. Sure you could find some cash buyers for the under 10,000.00 coins.
If it is true, and they were stolen, fair point, but there must be some statute of limitations and also, insurance was probably already paid out on the coins.
That means some one else must also be reimbursed.

If the Government doesn't give them a HUGE finders fee, NO ONE is going to be returning coins. Sound familiar?
There is a finders fee. But this one is payed to the Feds. All the coins or half in taxes.
I doubt there was ever any insurance involved as they were "stolen" from the US Treasury Mint 115 years ago.
Here's the real rub--at that time the Mint was owned by the US citizens---who "owns" it today but the Federal Reserve.
earthmansurfer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If it is true, and they were stolen, fair point,
> but there must be some statute of limitations and
> also, insurance was probably already paid out on
> the coins.
> That means some one else must also be reimbursed.
>
> If the Government doesn't give them a HUGE
> finders fee, NO ONE is going to be returning
> coins. Sound familiar?

Truer words were never spoken. But if anyone thinks those knuckle dragging neanderthals working for the government will ever grasp that reality, they are in for one hell of a disappointment.
Now if they found some cans of paper currency, the Feds would have only taken half.

They want the real money......gold.

Aaron
They will be lucky if they are not charged with possession of stolen goods. smiling smiley
I am a bit surprised that the 'experts' who were consulted early on didn't catch this almost immediately.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
They will be lucky if they are not charged with possession of stolen goods.
Reply Quote Report

Got that right.

As far as the "experts", they're probably good friends with Goldman Sachs.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2014 11:38PM by Aaron.
Could be why it leaked..........Wasn't it found last year?
The Treasury says they have no information on the coins as to being stolen from any mint and have no plans to investigate. The IRS, however, is a different story. HH jim tn
bigboar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I dont understand why you would go tell the world
> when you make a find like they did......
>
> [pjmedia.com]
> -trove-shocker/

Yeah - and the LAST place I'd take them is to a coin dealer too!
they could have sold in numerous coin auction companies outside the US with no trouble.
think how many krugerands change hands all over the globe without a hitch .
bullion dealers sell and buy all day long for investors so why they would want to advertise is strange
You can't compare (most of) these Saddle Ridge coins with everyday Krugs, come on. Any coin that's considered "one of only 10 or 50 of its type" is gauranteed to attract attention. Remember the Queen Anne 5 Guineas Vigo coin that a widow discovered among her late husbands possessions in a sock drawer? Very limited mintage, less than 25, I recall. Made the headlines:
[www.dailymail.co.uk]
Now imagine trying to discretely put onto the market one of them every few months / years.
Remember Jerry Buss,now dead, that owned the lakers?? He was a HUGE coin collector,thats the type buyer your looking for. Im pretty sure,a collector like that would fo an pay whatever it tskes to get a one of a kind coin. Ray