Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

White's New Pinpointer!

Posted by Dirt Dawg 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
White's New Pinpointer!
March 09, 2014 03:52AM
Had the opportunity today to see and air test White's new Bullseye TRX pinpointer. Quite impressed. Well made. Has ability to turn off audio and just use vibrate. Auto shutoff. 12 KHz. Also has automatic ground balance. Why might one ask? This thing is hot!

Based on what I've seen this will soon be in my arenal. It will be a major seller. Look out Garrett!
Re: White's New Pinpointer!
March 09, 2014 09:25AM
It certainly looks GREAT. Look at Bill S's (Dirtfishing) Youtube channel. He did some nice videos and there are some nice write ups on other forums. [www.youtube.com]
The only somewhat negative thing is that the vibrate seems lower than on the Garrett and the audio on Whites is quite loud. I have my Garret with the turbo button (like the metal trick) so I get
the best of both worlds. The Garrett though you have to be careful with pushing into the soil as it will false. I might try a Whites in a few months, they seem out of stock almost everywhere.

Also, look at KellyCo's new pinpointer. Hate to say it but it looks great, not as deep as the White's and not as flexible. White's can really be adjusted - audio only, vibrate only, both, sensitivity adjustments.

Albert
March 09, 2014 09:51AM
let's see how it is in the ground..

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
March 09, 2014 01:41PM
For years Whites had some of the best units around with a solid service after the sale but their pinpointer was not up to their detector standards. Lets hope this one is.
In the meantime Garretts will be on my belt...
March 09, 2014 06:25PM
liaso Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> let's see how it is in the ground..
>
> [www.youtube.com]
> [www.youtube.com]

Early reports are EXACTLY the same in ground as out!
March 09, 2014 07:50PM
When you do an air test, make sure your at least 18" or more away from large pieces of metal. I was sitting on my bed doing an air test with a nickel and with the sensitivity at default (on 3), I was getting 4 3/4", with sensitivity on 4, I was getting 5 1/2". The next day in another location with sensitivity on 3 all I could get was 3 9/16" and on 4 a depth of 4 7/16". I could pick up the metal in my bed at about 12" with a sensitivity of 3.

Finally dawn on me, the first test, I was sitting on my bed and when I tested it again, I was getting about the same depths as the first test. (4 3/4 and 5 1/2" inches). If you want an accurate air depth test, don't be anywhere close to large metal as it will influence the outcome.

As far as in the ground test, I have only been on a very short test and all the targets were on the surface to 3". Wanted to stay longer and doing more testing, but front blew in. Sure like the Ratcheting feature.

It does not vibrate like the Garrett, but still does a good job and I can hear the audio with my headphones on. Suppose to be able to set the freq. of the audio slightly (low to high, very narrow range), but haven't tried it yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2014 08:40PM by ron_c.
March 09, 2014 08:07PM
May have to get one of them meself!!!!
March 09, 2014 08:36PM
Kevin my ProPointer just died, I got 1st dibs on that too! ; )

Aaron
March 09, 2014 08:53PM
i think that Garrett will stay long time no 1 winking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

liaso
March 09, 2014 09:49PM
used mine for a few hours today. definitely love it! I didn't have anything past 3.5" so everything pin pointed from surface just fine with default 3 sensitivity. The ratchet/signal cancel on the fly is nice. When on and you quick press button it essentially takes current signal (ground or target) and cancels or sets that as the level needed to cross to sound off. so if you are touching and item and do it, it won't detect at all. of course you can "ratchet" in to fine tune you pinpointing on the fly. No need to turn off to detune like the garrett. If you mess up and detune it too much, just tap the button with it back in the air or on clean ground to set the signal threshold back to a low level.

If you have a garrett/minelab, no need to replace honestly. features are cool, and can be helpful, but not really game changing.

If you don't have a premium pinpointer, then you buy the TRX.

I sold my garrett to get the TRX but I have a V3i and am so impressed with Whites I wanted to get their pointer too.
March 10, 2014 03:09AM
detectingMO Wrote:
> used mine for a few hours today. definitely love
> it! I didn't have anything past 3.5" so
> everything pin pointed from surface just fine with
> default 3 sensitivity. The ratchet/signal cancel
> on the fly is nice. When on and you quick press
> button it essentially takes current signal (ground
> or target) and cancels or sets that as the level
> needed to cross to sound off. so if you are
> touching and item and do it, it won't detect at
> all. of course you can "ratchet" in to fine tune
> you pinpointing on the fly. No need to turn off
> to detune like the garrett. If you mess up and
> detune it too much, just tap the button with it
> back in the air or on clean ground to set the
> signal threshold back to a low level.
>
> If you have a garrett/minelab, no need to replace
> honestly. features are cool, and can be helpful,
> but not really game changing.
>
> If you don't have a premium pinpointer, then you
> buy the TRX.
>
> I sold my garrett to get the TRX but I have a V3i
> and am so impressed with Whites I wanted to get
> their pointer too.

How do you adjust it to #4 sensitivity?----I know the factory pre-set sensitivity is 3 but I can't seem to get mine to go on 4.
March 10, 2014 03:34AM
> How do you adjust it to #4 sensitivity?----I know
> the factory pre-set sensitivity is 3 but I can't
> seem to get mine to go on 4.

[www.youtube.com]

Got to be somewhat quick on pressing the button.
March 10, 2014 04:05AM
I know a lot of my fellow dirt fishers say its a pinpointer not a detector so a more depth is not needed or desirable.

That's not the way I feel. Assuming you can get depth with stability (stability is supremely important in a pinpointer), extra depth is a big plus.

If your pp is in the hole and you can't find a signal, you have to dig more dirt out. It's easier to not have to do that. Especially if you're chasing a deep iffy, very small or ghost signal.

Also shallow targets are made easier with a pinpointer, but with the Propointer on coin size targets that's limited to an inch and a fraction.

When you're talking about depth of 3,4,5 inches (again, assuming stability) that's a huge plus in my book.
March 10, 2014 08:09AM
marcomo Wrote:
> I know a lot of my fellow dirt fishers say its a
> pinpointer not a detector so a more depth is not
> needed or desirable.
>
> That's not the way I feel. Assuming you can get
> depth with stability (stability is supremely
> important in a pinpointer), extra depth is a big
> plus.
>
> If your pp is in the hole and you can't find a
> signal, you have to dig more dirt out. It's
> easier to not have to do that. Especially if
> you're chasing a deep iffy, very small or ghost
> signal.
>
> Also shallow targets are made easier with a
> pinpointer, but with the Propointer on coin size
> targets that's limited to an inch and a fraction.
>
> When you're talking about depth of 3,4,5 inches
> (again, assuming stability) that's a huge plus in
> my book.

Well said Marcomo. I hunt for deeper coins mostly and when you take a plug out and don't get a signal, it would be really nice to have 3.5" of depth and not 1.75". The analogy is back to not having a pinpointer. How many coins has a pinpointer saved you? Has saved me many (scratches, shovels into, etc.) Having that extra depth (WHEN NEEDED) is a great benefit to both the shallow hunter (e.g. less grass disturbance, more accurace centering of holes, etc.) and the deeper hunters (i.e. - What I said above).
I wish the TRX had a better vibrate and less sound as I dig with my headphones off and don't want to attract attention. An adjustment to increase or decrease vibration / sound would be nice, but things might get complicated with only 1 button! lol

Oh, the ratchet feature sounds great, really a beneficial feature when narrowing things down. I know just yesterday I wish I had it...

Albert
March 10, 2014 09:47AM
MARS MD pointer
[www.youtube.com]
March 10, 2014 09:46PM
Make sure to use ground grab in the soil/

[www.findmall.com]
March 11, 2014 12:16AM
We're both on the same page, Albert. But as I said to someone on another forum, I don't think there's any right or wrong when it comes to PP depth.

If you are someone who digs only textbook solid, two-way signals, the Pro Pointer won't let you down. That is as long as you remember to check the battery or bring along a spare. Glad to see the Vulcan has a low battery indicator. Didn't see that on the TRX specs, does it have some sort of battery power indicator?
March 11, 2014 12:29PM
marcomo Wrote:
> We're both on the same page, Albert. But as I
> said to someone on another forum, I don't think
> there's any right or wrong when it comes to PP
> depth.
>
> If you are someone who digs only textbook solid,
> two-way signals, the Pro Pointer won't let you
> down. That is as long as you remember to check
> the battery or bring along a spare. Glad to see
> the Vulcan has a low battery indicator. Didn't
> see that on the TRX specs, does it have some sort
> of battery power indicator?

As written in TRX owners manual------"Low battery alert--During power-on, three cycles of a two tone alarm indicate a low battery. During operation, each button press will create the same alarm if the battery is low. The LED also blinks continuously to indicate a low battery".