Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Is showing our finds on the Forum in bad taste?

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Is showing our finds on the Forum in bad taste?
March 24, 2014 01:18AM
I really hope not. Since getting my new g2, I am accumulating a goodly little pile of save-ables. I'd like to show them to the people that I talk "detectors" with. Ain't nothing wrong with that is it? I have often wondered, year after year, if everyone finds anything. It's very simple to open an acount at Photobucket and upload your pics there. Then, you can copy from Photobucket and paste them in a post here. And then, the successful hunter can tell us all about it. What unit he was using. How deep it was. (using inches, please, not centimeters....lol)
Perhaps this forum would be even more of a learning tool. Oh don't get me wrong,......it ALREADY IS a supreme learning tool and that is precisely why I have been an avid member for about as long as I have been detecting. (3 or 4 years).
The reason that I asked the question (in the title) if posting pics of our finds here on the Forum was in bad taste is because there were times when I'd post pics and would never get a reply. Sure, everyone likes a pat on the back, but my reward comes at the precise moment that I extract the relic/coin from the earth. After that, and then cleaning the piece, and researcing what it is, the piece gets put in my collection, never to be looked at again. So it's not really for "pat's on the back" or even "attaboys" that I show the stuff I find. It's simply because I get excited about it. And during those times when I would get no replies, I'd start getting paranoid that folks were thinking that I was ever-fishing for affirmation and that my ego needed a good stroking that day. Anyway.......just to clear the record.......I get as much joy for seeing other finds from other diggers as I do my own finds. That might sound like a noble bunch of BS.......but it's so. Just have to take my word on it. Anyway.......I hope that this week.....someone finds AND POSTS a freshly dug $20 Gold Piece. Or a nice rectangular CSA buckle. Or a nice CSA button. Or a cache of silver coins in an unbroken green mason jar....complete with intact lid and little white ceramic piece. Now THAT I'd like to see........OR find!!!!!!! Good luck this week to everyone!!!!!! That next signal JUST might be THE BIG ONE!!!!! Who knows what is lurking just under our feet.........ready to see daylight again. And be saved from being paved over or built over. I bet that there is SO MANY RELICS under my own towns downtown Main St that they would fill two five gallon buckets!!!!! No exaggeration!!!!! But it's all paved. Forever. As long as forever lasts, at least.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2014 01:21AM by Kevin B.
Re: Is showing our finds on the Forum in bad taste?
March 24, 2014 01:53AM
Lets see your stash

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 24, 2014 02:36AM
C'mon Mr Bigstuff, show it to us!
Lets see what ya got ; )
March 24, 2014 05:17AM
not bad taste...Im just too lazy to go through the steps to post pics here...plus have not found anything pic worthy in a while.
March 24, 2014 05:54AM
Heck no. I enjoy see all the different finds from across the country.
March 24, 2014 06:28AM
Me, I find it not to be bad taste.
Just get's boring after a while :-)

I'm on this other forum where people show their finds pouch after a day in the field. You should see the amount of rotten coins, hardly readable that get their picture taken!!
On mondays it's like a detectorists catwalk showing the latest finds.
They have gone through the trouble of picture taking, uploading and that's it. Everyone says "Nice finds to be polite" and that is where it ends,.... boring.

I much prefer someone taking the time to write up about a detector/coil/tips and tricks and add a pic of their find that astonished them. Or the tool that they were using.
Much more informative and gives people something to say other then:"Nice Find!"

So if you're compelled to show the latest and the greatest. Be it clad stab, relic or anything else,... for ease of reading and something to talk about. Add a little narrative so we can go on an armchairs detecting trip.

At the moment I'm having fun with the F75 Ltd and 5" coil behind myself using a Deus.
But this time I'm equiped with more knowledge and a better digger.
I'll post up some of the finds and a little narrative after a few more hunts :-)

So go ahead show us your treasure chest,.... we're all pirates and scavengers LOL

HH
Johnb
March 24, 2014 10:53AM
Clad doesn't deserve a spotlight unless you are showing your trash digs. For some reason, trash digs are just a tad more interesting, don't ask me why.

A nice old coin(s) or relic(s) before and after pics...and like Johnb says, 'a little narrative to go along with them', would be apropos for this forum.

I personally don't think many people post bogus finds or pics from, wherever....... I can't see how that helps them or others, in any way.

But you post what you want, we're all members and forum friends here.....
wjs
March 24, 2014 11:44AM
I like to see what others have found too but I think some guys, not here but on other forums, seem like they are constantly posting what they have found looking for a pat on the back or something. Show us what you got Kevin......;o)
March 24, 2014 12:59PM
Heck its an open forum so do your thing for those that enjoy seeing what the other guy finds. Sort of a break between the technical aspect of the forum.
March 24, 2014 01:45PM
I love seeing the finds from other people...especially relics.

Its good to have a break in the talk every now and again. Theories and future detector wish lists, and air tests, etc get old by themselves after a while. Its good to freshen things up and remind us that there is still stuff out there to be found...and sitting at home on the Puter talking about detectors ain't gonna get it out of the ground.

I actually went out last week after work....and tried to get permission for some new sites. I made a dry run....nobody was at home or came to the door at any of the places I stopped. This working 3rd shift is cursed...everybody has day jobs and is at work during the day.
March 24, 2014 04:36PM
I agree, it's nice to see people's finds and especially those from around different parts of North America and around the World. I mean after all, this is a Metal Detecting Forum, isnt' it? Also, if links are posted to a Instagram, Photobucket, Flickr account or whatever, those individuals that 'are not into' looking at peoples Finds don't need to click the links...
Personally, I definitely like seeing EVERYTHING (including garbage) in some photos, just to get an idea of what people are 'really digging up' with different detectors and especially photo's of finds using machines that I own as I find it very 'helpful' when comparing to my finds using the same detector...

Cheers,
March 24, 2014 07:54PM
Elbert Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Heck no. I enjoy see all the different finds from
> across the country. Same here, love reading posts and viewingfinds from you folks in the warmer climates during these cold winter weather up here in northern New York. Plus it is also very interesting seeing relics & Civil War items that we don't have up here.
March 24, 2014 08:25PM
Hi,,,,Personally I leave it up to the discretion of who's running the forum (Tom,Wally?)...There is an indication that it's allowable but maybe not preferred,due to the lack of the ability to do so.....If it's over done, won't it start to be like all the other forums? I think this forum has it's own unique characteristics and is different in a good way....It's not overly moderated, even though someone pulled at least one of my posts without an explanation...There's a lot of knowledgeable people out here with a combined source of data available to anyone willing to open up their minds and take the time to read & learn it... This kind of gathered information is not easily duplicated by most if not all forums that are out there.... If the picture thingy is done in moderation, then I'm all for it....I love seeing unique,unusual or just plain ornate items that someone has found... Okay I will shut my pie-hole...LoL....JJ.
March 24, 2014 08:47PM
As long as a guy isn't posting a pile of clad or the local "tot lot" type garbage AND he gives us some details of the hunt, history of the site, highlights, machine settings, etc.

then

I say post away ;-)
March 25, 2014 02:14AM
Posting photo's is encouraged.

jj ....... Someone pulled one of your posts????
March 25, 2014 02:47AM
I find a lot of things that don't get posted. Gotten several silver rings along with a hand full of Merc's and Rosies lately but I save posting these days for the unique or old finds. I just don't post as much as I used to. Rarely relic hunt but spend my time in pursuit of older coins and gold jewelry. By all means if you want to take the time to do so I am glad to see what is being found else where.
March 25, 2014 03:13AM
Hi Tom,,,yeah it was a year or two ago the post was taken off...It's no biggie, you know me and some of my crazy topics I sometimes do....I just wish I would of received a P.M. explaining the reason for it's deletion....I just brought it up to stress the point that the forum is pretty lenient as far as the rules go.... JJ
March 25, 2014 11:36AM
JJ...... Wow. I don't remember that. I'll ask Walter. I do remember Blisstool Dealer (pusher) stuff being deleted....... to include the long thread(s) with many folks included in those threads.
March 25, 2014 03:03PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Just wanted to get a community feel about this. I know that this world is comprised of many types of humans. We are all human. Some folks will post their finds for one reason. Some will post their finds for another. But if they will include the equipment they used. Plus a fair guesstimation of depth (in inches). Plus the settings of the machine (for those of us who are not electronically inclined.......namely......ME)........then even the ones who posts finds for ego-stroking purposes (yes, I have been guilty) will provide a valuable service to the forum. This is just MY OPINION. My "2 cent piece". That is all. Some folks choose not to post any of their finds. That is quite alright, too. I have done that too. I have went through a period, where I was so spoiled at finding several decnt finds in a row, that I wouldn't think of posting a lowly dime, or nickel or wheatie. Their are several Indian heads I have not even posted. In short, I guess it has a bit to do with mood, rather than motive.
I was just trying to get a general consensus. And I fully appreciate all of the repliers. There were NO wrong answers. Happy Hunting to everyone this week!!!!
March 25, 2014 10:34PM
Not me, unless its something unusual, rare and\ or interesting, I can view everyday finds on other forums .( Which I don't)
March 25, 2014 11:06PM
I come to the forums for encouragement after a lousy hunt . It helps to get me back on track, I see some of the fantastic finds like the 1793 Large Cent that was found. I think the next high tone under my coil could be just as great. I love to see the post with finds.
March 26, 2014 12:24AM
JJ...... Wow. I don't remember that. I'll ask Walter. I do remember Blisstool Dealer (pusher) stuff being deleted....... to include the long thread(s) with many folks included in those threads.
Reply Quote Report

It was probably during the "Barry War" last year.
That's the only time I can recall posts being deleted.....

Aaron
April 06, 2014 03:50PM
posting photos with photobucket couldn't be easier, copy the link from photobucket once your photo is uploaded and then paste it into the body of your message/post.

I personally like seeing all pics and would like to see more on this forum.

so called junk finds often tell a story of there own!

chuck.