Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Teknetics G2...Time to bring it up New Airtest Video added with Ultimate 13... 3/30/14

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Teknetics G2...Time to bring it up (Video added)
March 28, 2014 09:14PM
Hey Kevin thank's..

no thats the truck Toyota made before the Tacoma...

its a 91 Toyota Pickup (Hilux) with the 22 Re engine....4 cylinder...actually that's the last year they were solely built in Japan for the American market as the new assembly plant opened in California for the late 91's and on....

The Tacoma was how should I say the Americanized version of the Toyota pickup Starting in 1995 1/2 model year named ....still great reliable trucks yet built more domesticated and ride quality was improved in exchange for SOME durability....

whats weird the rest of the world kept geting the Hilux while the U.S. Got the Tacoma after 95.....and when the rest of the world started getting the Tacoma body they still used the Hilux earlier suspension.I believe but I could be mistaken that right now the newest hiluxs built outside the U.S. are still using the pre 95 suspension and frame...So that tells us something..

Those ealier Toyotas were desinged to work in 3rd world markets were repair shops were not to be found...So they were/are very durable...

the U.S market is of a different nature...ride quality is more important ...

Toyota makes some great truck's!

Keith
March 29, 2014 02:23AM
How many miles you have on that rice burner Keith? It still looks new. Cars up here just don't last that long between all the winter salt and potholes.

Aaron
March 29, 2014 02:27AM
Hey Keith......that sizzle could be the sound right before it's getting ready to blow ..You know the old saying about a car motor running it's best right before it's last days..............LOL
March 29, 2014 03:09AM
Hey Aaron it has 157,000 on it...

It has every record of everything ever done to it...

Wide open it will run on flat ground 72 miles an hour...LOL....

I usually dont run it over 45 anywhere I go though.I dont like to push it...its geared real low..

It has a Marlin rock crawler transmission in it and it the gear ratios are not factory...

Keith
March 29, 2014 03:31AM
Keith that's crazy low miles, like less than 7k a year, you disconnect the speedo or what?
March 29, 2014 03:41AM
Hey Aaron I just hunt out of it...

not my only vehicle...

Keith
Re: Teknetics G2...Time to bring it up
March 29, 2014 07:28AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's nothing to do to say tweak..it would have
> to be a component replacement..
>
> please understand..I'm not complaining..Lol
>
> if you read my post I've had it for about
> months..sort of debated talking about it..
>
> i have dozens and dozens of hours on it..
>
> I'm just wondering if it's factory or one of the
> ones that's been modded..
>
>
> whatever it is its very powerful in the dirt..
>
> would not want the others I've had after running
> this one...
>
> I can also get the disc real low and it stays
> intelligent..like around 26..
>
> keith

Take the back off look inside. Is there a risistor on the If I remember correctly yellow wire.( on the road again didnt bring the G2 cant look! Just the 2.0 and SST, Stopping at a few spots along Hwy 49 on the way home) After the 2.9 came out they added that resistor directly to the wire then to the board now it is on the board so you have to look, it would be jumpped if removed Or maybe the value has been changed.( Toggle right there for boost mode LOL) I have a 2.0 saturated audio GB that came out just befor the Se It has manual Gb as well. But it will perform close to your G2. But it is way chatty. If you get it out in the gold fields away from EMI and can crank it up it runs quite and perfect way hotter than my G2. At 50% power it out performs my G2 depth wise. I tested a 8 inch nickle and could hit it to 10 % power with the 2.0 GB. Lost at 50 % on the G2 both set in disc mode.
That being said the G2 is much more refined the 2.0 feels more like a gold machine, Epecially in the all metal mode the audio is more analog to me.
I just havent brought my self to removing that resistor on my G2 yet Ive been thinking potentiometer to play with it. But dont want to hurt my G2 on a S.W.A.G.
March 29, 2014 11:44AM
Keith my F75 does what you describe at a sensitivity setting of 87, but I don't see that kind of boost in performance.
Keith, have you done other air test with the gain being reduced, in, let's say increments of 10?
Re: Teknetics G2...Time to bring it up
March 29, 2014 07:30PM
Thanks Digit...

looks like the resistor is there..

Hey Ruby glad you can run your F75 on sens that high ...

The reason for the post was most all the G2's and GB's can run sens 100 gain wih no noise..

But there seems to be some out ther that have some spark in them when they get turned up on the gain..

I alway's wanted a G2 that would get some noise in it on top end so I did not feel like I was leaving anything on the table sens wise so to speak..

now I have one and trying to figure out why it is doing it LOL..its not the norm like the F75 does by design..

thank's for the input..

Keith
March 30, 2014 07:21AM
My instinct tells me that resistor is not what's causing the differences you're observing. Firstly, that's a very high value resistor (5 Meg Ohm), and the way it's connected suggests it may only have a function when there's no coil connected, such as reducing static charge pickup. But it's anyone's guess, really.
Interesting to note there is a two-hole ferrite bead on a couple of the coil wires.
There's no sign that the circuitry has been meddled with.
March 30, 2014 04:39PM
Hey Keith.
That appears to be a all new PWB. I know my software version 2.0 is a rev 1 pwb I beleive my 1.0 g2 is as well. ( my G2 is out on loan for a week or two so I cant check it now)Their are some component changes I notice as well at to the right of l 7 at the bottom of the board has been reconfigured. I dont even see l 5 any more. This is the area of the board that was changed from 2.0 to 2.9 with the Vco addition to the units. My 2.0 is saturated in disc mode but still has manual. GB. Looks like I have a out of date G2, bummer now I got to replace it!!!! .

Hey Pimento,
You are probably right About the resistor, It was added at the 2.9 rev with the Vco. The other thing I was thinking it may be for is tuning the signal receive to better match the board for lesser noise.
Adding a resistor does not necisarrially effect performance But was thinking a potentiameter to play with it to see if less resistance would increase performance at all.
Im no engeneer just starting to tinker with electronics again after 20 years away from the PWB industry. ( teaching my self with projects. Playing with AMPS now) When I get my G2 back I will check the value of the resistor.

How do you post Pictures to the forum? I have some of the inside of the 2.0 and when I get the G2 back can post that as well.

All this was on another forum but got deleted AshO7 I beleive even had pics of the 2.9 there.

As Far as boost mode goes on the F75 Do you guys think it is a actual performance enhancement (Higher power) or a audio amplification effect? filter bypass maybe?

Thanks
Jim
March 30, 2014 06:03PM
Hey Pimento..

Thats the first thing that grabbed my eye,,, The ferrite chokes..its the two hole design with two wires in each..

I dont think Ive seen them on the G2/GB before...heck there emi free...

Now heres a stab ...cpould they of done somehting in the circuit that required the choke to remove the nosie coming form the new found gain????

that's one thing I have learned from FT in the last few years by using alot of their machine's....They are constantly tweaking on the circuit...like the machines are a work in progress..Nothing wrong with that as it shows dedication .....

I think as they are working on new projects when they find things that work on the design of the new prodcut they try it on the current run models..

Ive seen it in the Omega and T2 also...

Im not saying this is a boosted machine but it is different ..

And is know FT is working on EMI problems....So maybe the choke is in order for that to happen?

I dont know..Jsut speculative guess..

anyone have the chokes on there GB or G2 and if so how does your machine behave?

thanks Digit and Pimento for the insight..

Keith
March 30, 2014 07:32PM
I've worked out which wires the 'binocular' ferrite bead is fitted on. Looks like the black and red are twisted together (RX and it's ground) through one hole, and the white and green (TX and it's partner) twisted, through the other hole. The fifth yellow wire is a shield.
I'm curious to see if it made any difference to my F75, I see a hunt for ferrite beads and an experiment taking place. One thing that does surprise me is that the 5 wires are plain, not screened (like in the main cable), it's the same inside the F75. I realise the plastic case is shielded with graphite paint, except for the dirty great hole where the LCD is, of course....
Edit: ferrites have been found. But of course there are hundreds of different grades of ferrite material, different mu values, different 'best frequency' operation, blahblah. Not the easiest experiment to do, as they can't just be put on and off to see the difference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2014 08:03PM by Pimento.
Airtest Video with Ultimate 13... 3/30/14
March 30, 2014 09:28PM
Hi,,, I can not enlarge the photos but just looking at what I can see I don't see a 5 meg resistor...Where is it?...JJ
From the PCB pad with the red wire on it (RX +ve I think) to TP19 test-point. I'm not sure on that one, could be part of the TX circuit? It's 4.99M actually, I was just simplifying.
Hi,,I think I see the part your talking about....I wish I could see what's under the wires,but given the location and from what I'm seeing that's not a resistor...A part number location would tell more ,,,Like R23 etc....I'm guessing it would say L12 or similar under the wire where it's hidden from my view....Maybe Keith will add more info.....Assembled in Mexico LoL.....JJ
Here it is Jimmy

Keith
Hi Keith,,that's the part I thought you guys were talking about.....What's the writing near that??I'm not talking about the TP19? Is there anything near or under the wires like L12 or similar??.......JJ
Here's an idea about the purpose of the additional resistor. If TP19 is the TX signal (seems plausible), it's a large signal, maybe 15 Volts peak-to-peak, and if you join that to the RX signal with a 5M Ohm resistor, you will add a small amount of sine-wave to what comes from the coil. The level of signal added could be a couple of millivolts, comparable to what comes from the coil alone. It all depends on the phase relationship between the two signals, but choose it right, and you can effectively reduce the null of the coil. It could be that these 'Greek series spec' coils are pretty good at 19KHz, but could be tweaked a little to optimise them. This R is the tweak. Having a lower null won't make any obvious difference to normal operation, it's subtle differences, like it takes more signal to get the 'overload' siren.

And regarding that ferrite bead: Whilst it's tempting to think its purpose is to reduce electrical interference PICKUP, the way it is fitted around a PAIR of wire suggests it won't have any effect on whatever the coil picks up. But it would help reduce the radio EMISSIONS from the detector, caused (mostly) by the digital circuitry (microprocessor etc) and switching voltage regulators (if used?). Having said that, RF has a habit of making it's way into (and out of) electronics in unexpected ways...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2014 12:43PM by Pimento.
Hey Jimmy I dont see any addpitonal writing under the resistor...

Pimento

thank's for the thought process...

What would be crazy is if the machine has been all along creating some sort of Silent EMI...

The choke has removed the EMI and now we can hear the full gain..????

I alway's found it strange that the G2/GB was aimed or prospecting yet it never seemed Hyper?

Keith
Hi Keith,,the writing is probably right directly under the part...I'm pretty certain it's not a resistor (the colors I'm seeing don't add up), my picture viewing on web sites are not totally visible.....It's no biggie, I wonder what R4 controls it appears that maybe it's a ground balance control? Yeah if them ferrite choke/beads are going to the coil wires then it's for stray RF/EMI........JJ
Hey Jimmy R4 is the Ground bal for Disc mode...its factory set...

Im pretty certain the ground bal only works in all metal when you do the external bal...

Keith
I've just tried out the 'binocular ferrite bead on twisted pairs' arrangement on my F75, and can report, somewhat predictably, that no discernable reduction in EMI was seen. EMI is pretty awful at my home (nearby water tower bristling with antennae, dishes etc), and I'm sure it's almost all being picked up by the coil.
It just might be that if you are using a coil that picks up less EMI (small one, different manufacturers part etc), it may have a more noticeable effect.
I will be keeping the changes for now, so I can try them out in various hunting spots.

Obviously, this is on an F75, so making any assessment of what it does to a G2 is up to you.
Keep us posted Pimento!

Keith