Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Teknetics G2 gives some satisfaction today

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Teknetics G2 gives some satisfaction today
March 25, 2014 02:31AM

It's a very worn 1884 V- Nickel. I took the time to measure the hole. But i didn't have a scaled ruler with me. I stuck the Garret Propointer down to exactly where the nickel was and only the cap (that screws on after replacing battery) was showing out of hole. Not bad depth for moderatley mineralized ground. It takes some looking, and the head and stars show up better when the coin is wet but I tried to take a pic. I hope that the head shows. The V side was so worn as to barel make out the V.
I don't know why? But this old coin brought me immense satisfaction today. It re-enforced my love for the VCO on the hi tone. You can use the VCO, plus some pinpointing, to discover if the relic/coin is deep or not. This one was. When I pinpointed it, and while moving the coil forward and rearward, there was only about an inch or two of movement when the detector sounded off in pinpoint mode. Then, I KNEW that it was a deep something or other. Thankfully, I was correct:

I had my G2 set up with a Tone Break at 35. One hundred per cent sensitivity. Disc Mode. Using the 11 inch stock DD coil. Hope this pic does the old girl (the nickel) justice. No need for pats on the back or attaboys. I have already had my pleasure. Maybe this will be helpful to other G2 owners.
PS: I just did a preview and saw that the pic didn't show the date. Or the stars. Oh well. I did the best I could with what I've got. I have to say, it was good to find an old coin in this place. It builds my confidence for when I go back. Happy Hunting!!!!!
Re: Teknetics G2 gives some satisfaction today
March 25, 2014 02:48AM
Cool beans :-)

Gotta love the G2/GBP and in how they love the nickel, brass, lead and gold ;-)
March 25, 2014 03:25AM
Hey Kev, using that nickel air testing, what depth do you get?
March 25, 2014 03:06PM
possum mo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Kev, using that nickel air testing, what depth
> do you get?

I will take my G2 from the car trunk today and give it a try. Soon. I will repost in this slot. Good question!!!!!!
Air test complete: I tested in the living room where no lights where on, and no EMI was being reported. I set the ground balance at 56 because that is where is has been in the ground I am hunting. I set the DISC at 35. I tested in DISC MODE @ 100% Sensitivity: It would detect that nickel out to 13 inches with a repeatable, diggable, tone.
In ALL METAL MODE, with ground balance at 56, 100% sensitivity, with threshold set to just barely hum: 15 inches repeatable and diggable.
Hope this helps. I will try again outside after chores are completed. This test was performed inside, on a long dining table, where I always air test units when I take a notion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2014 03:17PM by Kevin B.
March 25, 2014 05:53PM
Sweet Kevin!
Remember I got first dibs on that G2! ; )

Aaron
March 25, 2014 08:50PM
Okay Aaron!!!! LOL Might be a while though. (But haven't we heard me say THAT before). Can someone tell me where I can buy a Tornado coil (12"????) for this rig. Other than the !@##$-co place? If so, please send me a PM? I am scrunching for about an inch or two more. From the deep iron grunts that I am getting, I believe that some of them might be ferrous.
With the G2, a DEEEEEP non-ferrous target can sound ferrous. (grunt).
March 26, 2014 07:51PM
Kevin,
colonialmetaldetectors.com has those nels i believe. i have gotten other things from them.
March 26, 2014 09:43PM
Kevin....Using your settings, mine air tested at...11"DD 13" repeatable in disc....15" in all metal with threshold set 10 with a 1905 V nickel.
Using the 13" Detech Ultimate 15" repeatable in disc...17" in all metal with threshold set at 10.
This test was done in my basement...G2 was quiet at 100 sen.

I'd like to know how the G2 would do on wet sand at a saltwater beach?

Kevin B Wrote:
> possum mo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hey Kev, using that nickel air testing, what
> depth
> > do you get?
>
> I will take my G2 from the car trunk today and
> give it a try. Soon. I will repost in this slot.
> Good question!!!!!!
> Air test complete: I tested in the living room
> where no lights where on, and no EMI was being
> reported. I set the ground balance at 56 because
> that is where is has been in the ground I am
> hunting. I set the DISC at 35. I tested in DISC
> MODE @ 100% Sensitivity: It would detect that
> nickel out to 13 inches with a repeatable,
> diggable, tone.
> In ALL METAL MODE, with ground balance at 56,
> 100% sensitivity, with threshold set to just
> barely hum: 15 inches repeatable and diggable.
> Hope this helps. I will try again outside after
> chores are completed. This test was performed
> inside, on a long dining table, where I always air
> test units when I take a notion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2014 11:40PM by Whimpster.
March 26, 2014 10:25PM
Wow that sounds good!!! I hope that the 12"x13" NEL Tornado coil will add an inch or two! I ordered one yesterday. I had to count out my spare change just to do that!. I'm glad the feller took pennys!!!
March 27, 2014 12:58AM
Kevin B Wrote:
> [i89.photobucket.com]
> 100_0504_zps95a6eb03.jpg
> It's a very worn 1884 V- Nickel. I took the
> time to measure the hole. But i didn't have a
> scaled ruler with me. I stuck the Garret
> Propointer down to exactly where the nickel was
> and only the cap (that screws on after replacing
> battery) was showing out of hole. Not bad depth
> for moderatley mineralized ground. It takes some
> looking, and the head and stars show up better
> when the coin is wet but I tried to take a pic. I
> hope that the head shows. The V side was so worn
> as to barel make out the V.
> I don't know why? But this old coin brought me
> immense satisfaction today. It re-enforced my
> love for the VCO on the hi tone. You can use
> the VCO, plus some pinpointing, to discover if the
> relic/coin is deep or not. This one was. When I
> pinpointed it, and while moving the coil forward
> and rearward, there was only about an inch or two
> of movement when the detector sounded off in
> pinpoint mode. Then, I KNEW that it was a deep
> something or other. Thankfully, I was correct:
>
> I had my G2 set up with a Tone Break at 35.
> One hundred per cent sensitivity. Disc Mode.
> Using the 11 inch stock DD coil. Hope this pic
> does the old girl (the nickel) justice. No need
> for pats on the back or attaboys. I have already
> had my pleasure. Maybe this will be helpful to
> other G2 owners.
> PS: I just did a preview and saw that the pic
> didn't show the date. Or the stars. Oh well. I did
> the best I could with what I've got. I have to
> say, it was good to find an old coin in this
> place. It builds my confidence for when I go
> back. Happy Hunting!!!!!

Quick question, as I am still learning. So a DEEP OBJECT can sound like iron (grunt)? And the way you can tell is by moving the coil, once pinpointed, back and forth an inch or 2, until the signal goes away?

Thank you, I am still learning now, before I go CW hunting on monday!

Bubba
March 27, 2014 11:34AM
Yes, the AT Pro does it too. As does the F75 SE. (in my short experience). If they are JUST out of range, non-ferrous targets can give off an iron grunt. And while I generally disregard those (because, in my soil, that would be past 11 to 12 inches), I know that thsoe DEEEEP iron grunts are not always iron. I have dug those iron grunts before and they be non-ferrous targets. The pinpoint thing that I am talking about merely helps discern whether the target is deep or shallow. Naturally, a shallow target will pinpoint with approx 11 inch sweeps (forward and backward). But a deep target will have about a 2 inch sweep (forward and backward). Also, the Pinpoint audio report of side to side sweeps will be VERY narrow on deep targets. But I generally use the forward and rearward sweeps, in pinpoint mode, to determine whether it is a deep target or a "surface to 2 or 3 inch" target. I bury wheat pennys/bullets/ dimes that are just on the fringe and then pinpoint them. I DON'T go by the depth numbers that are displayed. If I MASH the coil of my G2 close to the ground while pinpointing,.......EVERYTHING is 5 inches it seems!!!!. So I go by the sound of it. The G2 really does have some useflu info in the audio. But all of this is coming from a rookie, compared to how long most of y'all have been digging. But I am able to use the G2 and pinpoint the dep targets from the shallow ones in an old yard. I like this capabilty.
Side note: I took my last AT Pro CW hunting at a huge campsite that had been dug to death. Rarely any good non ferrous signals (except from the shotgun shell backs and other debris that the some of the previous detectorists would lay by the hole or worse yet, rebury!!!! RRRRrrrrrrrr!!!!!! Those........types.....are the kind who are too proud or too lazy to tie a cheap nail apron on and pack out all that they dig. Anyway, I took to digging every sound. Iron grunts and all. Several bullets (three ringers) reported as iron. The ground was dry and hard and those past hunters had simply missed them due to depth. When I am at a good CW site, I put until in All Metal and dig it all anyway, unless I am in a nail bed. Hope this helps some. I envy you for going CW relic hunting. Hope you hit some virgin ground. Most of your relics will hit in the 'upper tone' range rather than the 'iron grunt' range.