Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CTX updates wish

Posted by Pac man 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CTX updates wish
March 25, 2014 01:53PM
Lot of guys wanting more bins and i can see why but for me the split for the ferrous tone on combined that Keith wants would really be the only change to numbers that would intrest me.
Now what i would like to see along with iron volume is the ability to have two diffrent tone profiles in the same mode.I know that you can have two identical modes set up and use the user button to swap between the two but with the ability to have two different tone profiles in the same mode would give you 4 tone options and even four disc. paterns within easy access.

Any thoughs welcome.
Pac Man
Re: CTX updates wish
March 25, 2014 08:39PM
Volume control for any created Bin (Some times I like to hear some bins and some times I do not)
An 8 inch DD coil (The 6 inch is a great coil, but I have a feeling that an 8 inch would be on every detector out there)
Bigger Clock (I have to put my glasses on to see it)
Ability to colorize the discrimination pattern (That Blue is hard to see in the sun)
March 25, 2014 10:11PM
Variability control like the older Minelabs.
True all metal mode.
March 25, 2014 11:06PM
Eliminate the GPS and use the extra memory for more options and patterns......

Tom in SC
March 26, 2014 12:20AM
Good idea Tom, I've had mine for 2yrs and yet to use it.

Aaron
March 26, 2014 12:46AM
goodmore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Volume control for any created Bin (Some times I
> like to hear some bins and some times I do not)
> An 8 inch DD coil (The 6 inch is a great coil, but
> I have a feeling that an 8 inch would be on every
> detector out there)
> Bigger Clock (I have to put my glasses on to see
> it)
> Ability to colorize the discrimination pattern
> (That Blue is hard to see in the sun)

Yea a 8" coil would be perfect for most conditions. I am in line waiting.
Volume control on all bins would be great also. Currently I assign a low tone (75)to the ones I want to ignore. I find it easier on the ears and less confusing with the other good target tones.
March 26, 2014 02:27AM
More depth.
March 26, 2014 04:14AM
Gotta get better sensitivity to non-ferrous in a sea of ferrous... something like a T2SE/F75SE or Deus for fast separation. Then you'd have the total package. A detector shouldn't null just because a nail is 3-4" away from you non-ferrous target, that's just wrong.

Oh yeah, and redesign the battery compartment area so water entry is not possible (and make is submersible to 200' while they're at it).
March 26, 2014 06:37AM
The only update I wish for is an update. Seems like there was the one then.... Nothing. Tons of great ideas out there, like ones mentioned here. Some seem like no-brainers. So why the long wait?
March 26, 2014 07:15AM
So I have a question for you guys, is the CTX 3030 worth buying or is a Etrac a better detector for the money? How difficult is it to learn?
March 27, 2014 02:23AM
Personally, unless you have a niche need, I don't think the CTX is worth the expense (at least new). A used one at a discount price would be much better investment.

It isn't difficult to learn - unless you're one of those guys who still has a VCR with 12:00 flashing. Once you set 'er up it is pretty much a turn on and go machine.

I like the CTX screen Fe-Co organization - good info (though near impossible to see in sunlight). I like that it allows several targets to be displayed at once on the screen and the Target Trace burns in the density of hits - nice. But it is heavy (yes, better than the E-Trac but still heavier than needed). There are many deeper machines in light-med mineralized soil - so if your soil is OK you can go elsewhere for less money (and better target separation with depth).

But for Disc at depth in mineralized soil the CTX will be working where many others have given up trying to ID the target. Also, the low freq of the FBS machines makes them ideal for silver coin recovery, though other machines are also capable too.

I'm always somewhat disappointed by each machine - I wan't perfection - each has flaws or design limitations and areas it doesn't handle well. I like that the CTX is waterproof, for rain and wading/surf work at the beach, opens up detecting areas. But then the o-ring is a hassle to maintain. I'd say if you're interested - buy a used CTX, run it around for 6-8 months and if it doesn't fit your needs - sell. No harm, no foul.
March 27, 2014 07:21AM
I was thinking of getting a used one at 1st but a buddy of mine told me of a place I can buy a new one for under $1800 so now I'm leaning that way. So Johnny, do you think it's still a good idea to buy used? Also, I live in northern California, so yeah, I think we have pretty heavy mineralization.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2014 07:23AM by jimmyzr1.
March 27, 2014 10:29AM
I agree w Johnny IRT screen glare, especially in the water when the sun is high. There's got to be some kind non glare overlay you could put on it.....

Yes, it is heavy but the balance is really good and ALOT better than the Etrac.

Regarding the o-ring....I haven't had a problem w mine. However I was told by my dealer (who was trained by MineLab on how to use it), that after each water hunt you need to inspect the o-ring, never use any lubricants on it and make sure it's seated properly before locking it down or you could damage it.

Aaron
March 27, 2014 01:03PM
I record all my GPS tracks and significant find locations. Ever since I've owned the CTX I've been wanting to have GeoHunt track, Find and Way Point data available from XChange2 formatted for use with Google Earth rather than Google Maps. I finally figured out how to extract the wanted data directly from the CTX with the USB cable for use with GE without using XChange2. I consider XChange2 a somewhat clunky program but still use it for disc pattern and mode set ups.
Here's an example of a GeoHunt track, extracted from my CTX and formatted for Google Earth:
[p.briggs.home.comcast.net]
You must have Google Earth loaded on your computer for this to work.
Click on the X in the white box that appears on GE to see the track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2014 01:11PM by Yeasty.
March 27, 2014 03:46PM
Pretty cool Yeasty. Be nice if the ctx let you know when you overlap your path from previous hunts...with a different tone or something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2014 03:47PM by ozzie.
November 08, 2015 06:48PM
Dear Yeasty
I have tried to follow some of the links for your description of extracting the data from ctx but they are all blind.
Is it possible for you to give a new working link
Many greetings Erik
November 09, 2015 09:42AM
I look forward to a light CTC/E-Trac and try to get the sounds more analogue, even if an option.
November 09, 2015 11:36AM
I agree...

earthmansurfer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I look forward to a light CTC/E-Trac and try to
> get the sounds more analogue, even if an option.