Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What now?

Posted by Ron Brown 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What now?
April 02, 2014 01:52AM
I hunt mostly parks and some woodland for old coins. Presently swinging an Etrac with a choice of stock coil, 5" hockey puck coil, 6x8 coil and the 15x18 coil which I like to call the "minesweeper".. Love this silversucker of a detector and want something to compliment it or better it and after reading about many detector tests on this and other forums I am ready to pull the trigger on one of the following; the GMP, DTVG or G2. Now since I have a lot of information overload spinning around in my head I would appreciate some help in making a decision. With the Spring thaw just about over here in my part of Canada I'm chompin" at the bit to get my hands dirty. HH
Re: What now?
April 02, 2014 02:00AM
Are you looking to be getting into relic hunting in iron sites now instead of the parks?

Based on the machines you've mentioned, unless your parks are really old with iron spots.....

Aaron
April 02, 2014 03:24AM
Not interested in relic hunting and the parks are 100 plus years old and certain woodlands I hunt for old coins and militaria. I was thinking of better target separation and ID at depth. The detectors I mentioned , from what I've read seem to fit the bill. I've always considered relic hunting to be more iron based in my mind and the majority of targets I dig up are non-ferrous. Maybe I've gotten the wrong impression about the detectors I've chosen. The Deus and CTX are not detectors I would consider, so maybe I should be looking at others that can outperform my Etrac...alas..decisions, decisions. I appreciate your input. HH
April 02, 2014 04:08AM
You're describing the CTX

but

the E-Trac with the 4.5x7" DD Excelerator coil will do what you're describing too (just a bit slower) but it works extremely well.
April 02, 2014 07:44AM
Ron -- when most people here talk "relic hunting," they are talking about hunting for non-ferrous targets (though, this often often includes hunting IN the iron/nails, trying to "unmask" the non-ferrous "keepers" hiding within the iron). The reason I bring this up is, you said you were "not interested" in relic hunting, but you said you do hunt "militaria," which is what many of us here refer to as "relic hunting." So, you are indeed a "relic hunter," as most of us here define it. There are of course some iron relics that some will dig; for instance, at a military site, you may wish to dig larger iron objects -- with the possibility of unearthing an old rifle or pistol barrel, etc. That being said, though, the majority of relics being searched for by most of the guys on this forum are non-ferrous, primarily military items (bullets, buttons, belt plates, etc. etc. etc.)

The machines you listed are all very good at relic hunting -- i.e. hunting IN the iron, but searching for mainly non-ferrous items. Each of the three will offer you ability to un-mask the non-ferrous items from within the iron. However, when you talk about looking for "better ID at depth," your E-Trac should be about as good as any. Still, any of those three would complement your E-Trac well, especially hunting in iron trash looking for military relics.

Steve
April 02, 2014 09:36AM
For target ID you have the best. The CTX is better in iron, but it will not ID targets any better. The GMP, Deus, CTX, AT Pro or Gold, and a host of First Texas detectors are all better in the iron. But for normal coin shooting the E Trac is about as good as it gets. In fact the Deus is terrible at target ID in my opinion. It has wonderful speed and can be carried anywhere.
April 02, 2014 11:28AM
Thanks for your input Steve. I guess I'm sort of a relic hunter like you say, I just ignore iron signals where I hunt as I have not found many interesting iron relics compared to non ferrous items. I'm always looking for the better "mousetrap" so to speak and would like something comparable to my Etrac but with a little more depth. I read a post somewhere, I think on this forum, where the poster had tried the GMP and stated " I would like all Etrac users to try this detector" or something similar to that effect. My understanding is the GMP is suited to hunting fields in England and Europe for their old coinage and that the GMAXX II might be a better coin hunter here. The DTVG is another detector that sparks my interest. Thanks again. HH
April 02, 2014 01:59PM
Yes the CTX way better in iron than the Etrac and IMHO is deeper too. Alot more useful features though alot more money. Bullet/weather proof.
Probably one of the best park machines made right now.

Aaron
April 02, 2014 02:14PM
Well after it's all said and done, for my particular case, the CTX may be the way to go. Of course y'all realize I'd have to dip into the baby's milk money to get one, but.....:>)

Thank you all for the input.

HH
April 02, 2014 03:05PM
Just....like...everyone....else.....here.....

Just put all the clad back in the bottle, and a gold ring here and there! ; )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2014 03:12PM by Aaron.
April 03, 2014 12:48AM
The DTVG is truly a relic unit...... as it is monotone. I don't think this is what you are after.

(The GMP is multi-tone).

The depth of the E-Trac (CTX-3030, CZ, F75) is as deep as you can go..... as of current technology. We have not broke through this depth plateau in quite some years.
April 03, 2014 02:15AM
If you have been using the Etrac for a while, then the transition to the CTX will be easy. a lot more features, better separation, and a lot better in iron. You can always sell the Etrac later on after you master the CTX and buy the baby some milk......

Tom in SC
April 03, 2014 02:20AM
LOL on your punch line..:>)

CTX it is then!

Thanks again everyone

HH
April 03, 2014 02:22AM
I've had my CTX since it came out (2yrs this spring) and I've never regretted it.
Amazing tech in that thing...
April 04, 2014 05:04AM
Ron...I just tried out the Gold Max and the Deus at John's in Tennessee like you asked me to. We set up a few "iron mask" scenarios in his back yard and I have to admit...I watched the Deus do things I've never seen another detector do. John is about as accomplished a detectorist as you'll ever come across and if he says the Deus is the machine you have to own if you really want the ability to do something "different", he knows what he speaks. Hands down my money (if I ever had the foolishness to sink that much money into a detector) would go into buying a Deus over anything else I've seen out there. Just on the weight alone it's a nonissue when it comes to comfort in the field. Minelab has a ways to go in packing this kind of performance into something a fraction of the weight and balance of an E-Trac.

That's my two cents on the matter.
April 04, 2014 11:21AM
Thanks for your input Arthur, certainly an unexpected surprise as I figured you being on holidays down there digging up relics I wouldn't hear from you till you got back. I have learned a lot from everybody's input on this forum and have decided that for my particular needs and style of hunting I'm going with the CTX and have already put the word out for a good used one. So good luck and" bring home the bacon" so to speak.

HH
April 04, 2014 11:29AM
Not sure if a CTX would compliment an E-Trac. They are too similar.

If you are going to keep the E-Trac, then the F75 Ltd/Se, Deus, G2//GB Pro route would be the way to go in my opinion.

If you are going to sell the E-Trac, then get the CTX. I had both, and sold the E-Trac and picked up an F75 Se. These 2 units compliment each other very well in my mind.

In all honesty, if you primarily land hunt, keep the E-Trac...it's an awesome detector. Only reason I sold mine is I primarily beach hunt, and the CTX is better suited for that.
April 04, 2014 12:40PM
Hey Ron. We also tested the Fisher Gold Bug and it did really well on the same test that the Deus excelled at....all better than my beloved Wilson R&C II :-( !! But to be fair, the test was best set up for a detector with a DD coil and my Wilson no gotz DD.
April 04, 2014 02:33PM
I had an F-75, the first model, it found an old American silver dollar for me at a measured 11 inches on a hillside after an all night rain, boy was I happy. At the time my go to machine for old coins was my original Sov with the 8 inch Coinsearch coil, which I still have, and after using the F-75 with the faster recovery speed and depth the SOV didn't get used much. I sold the F75 to get an Excal for my annual trek to the ocean and I still have that and picked up a Dual Field also. Presently as I said I have the Etrac and use the SOV for a backup , so if I get the CTX I'll sell the SOV and either keep the Etrac or sell it and get an F75 Se or LTD. Now if I can't find a car hood in a cats litter box with these detectors I'll take up pingpong or something...:>)

Thanks for your input the rover61

HH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2014 02:50PM by Ron Brown.
April 04, 2014 02:42PM
"Not sure if a CTX would compliment an E-Trac. They are too similar. "

There's 2 things the CTX is capable of doing (and extremely well) that the Etrac can't and that's hunting in water and iron. I know there's some that may disagree regarding the iron however I have spent alot of time hunting in iron w the Etrac and the CTX and in that respect they are two totally different machines. Also I've found the CTX to also be deeper too.

Aaron
April 04, 2014 02:46PM
Well Arthur I think some of these older detectors perform pretty well under testing but with all the new technology now they'll have a tough time keeping up in real world field conditions and from what I've read each detector has it's strengths and weaknesses and one just has to decide which detector is suited for their type of detecting . Now with all those great machines you guys have there I expect to see some good finds in your pouch...:>)

Good luck !

HH
April 04, 2014 02:52PM
Thanks Aaron, CTX is a comin'.

HH
April 04, 2014 03:24PM
Ron, the reason some of us have so many machines is because we do many types of detecting, like you said each machine has its strengths and weaknesses.

Parks, old parks w iron, parks for jewelry, water, old water sites w iron, relic sites with lots of iron, relic sites w not so much iron, ect, ect.

It's really cool when you can have the machines that best suit the sites you come to intimately know.

Aaron
April 04, 2014 04:34PM
Aaron,

I agree the E-Trac and CTX are different animals, but compare each to an F75LTD or Deus, and they almost the same !

E-Trac - Dolphin
CTX - Killer whale
F75LTD - Hawk
Deus - Eagle
April 04, 2014 06:53PM
I see your point....

However, IRT comparing the deus to the ctx, I'm not sure if you've had the chance to use a CTX w 6" coil, you'll find it give the DEUS a run for its $$$$ : )

Aaron
April 05, 2014 05:13AM
Aaron,

I have a Deus and the CTX with 6 inch coil. I always tell people if they buy a CTX, they have to get the 6 inch coil. Oh yeah, that 6 inch coil can sniff out lots of great targets in all kinds of garbage. Sometimes though, using that Deus with the wireless headphones, is a whole different detecting experience.
April 05, 2014 06:58AM
From my tests I found the E-Trac to be very similar to the CTX, in depth and sensitivity. The CTX does have better iron separation in some instances, but not all. The FBS machines aren't the deepest - perhaps about average (figure the AT Gold/G2/GB2 as also average - it's maybe just a bit better in some mineralzed soils, but not close to the DT Smart level). There are certainly deeper VLF machines that'll kick its butt.

However, I do like the TID on the CTX (better than the E-Trac) and especially the CTX's ability to adjust audio bins and target trace several targets at once, an advanage over most other detectors (that have linear displays or digital numbers, with only notch).

So, if you switch from E-Trac to the CTX you'll probably like the balance, the TID, the target trace feature, the waterproofness, and the audio bin adjustments. These are gui enhancements - but I think under the hood the E-Trac and CTX are very close.

I didn't like the cost (thanks ML!), but you can find a used CTX (no need to buy new) and use the leftover cash to buy food and other less important things.

Johnnyanglo