Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What an odd find

Posted by ronin12524 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What an odd find
April 02, 2014 06:09PM
I went to my local park that's been around forever, I mean there was an Indian tribe living near it. Like I said people have been there for ever. Since they've been there so long the amount of rusty steel bottle caps is huge and then on top of them are the beaver tails and newer.

I recently purchased the Aka Signum with a sniper coil in addition to the three frequency 9.5x 12.5 DD coil. I first hit the park with the large coil using the second program which is designed for a trashy area like this. It was useless due to the fact almost under any place the coil is over there are multiple targets and to many tones, 5 in total. Couldn't focus on any one target that had a good signal.

Today I went out with the sniper 6 inch, 14kh coil. It took a while to do a proper ground balance, very difficult to find a metal free plot of earth, then I went to the sound customizing program and lowered all the frequencies to the same as iron, with the exception of the high tone.

Now it was easy to ignore all the noise and only listen to the high tone. Finally I came across a repeating signal but I couldn't pinpoint it because there were stronger signal on two sides of it. So I did the wobble move until I got it in a tight spot. I dug and I dug and I dug. I was at the point of giving up but the signal a high 70s vdi that bounced a bit kept me going. Finally I'm down to 13 inches and the signal is no longer there. Swept the pile of dirt and got a nice signal. Pulled out my Garrett pinpointer and quickly found the target on top.

Now I don't think the coin was all the way at thirteen inches though it could have been but a more conservative guess somewhere between 10 to 12 inches down. Really an amazing metal detector. After I got the coin out I couldn't make out anything other then it was copper penny. I figured it had to be at least an Indian head, right. Nope, I could surprisingly make out the date, a 1957 wheaty. What on earth was it doing down that deep?
Re: What an odd find
April 02, 2014 06:15PM
That area most likely has been filled in at one time unless you've got crazy sink rate issue.

Aaron
April 02, 2014 11:59PM
Hi Aaron, I'm guessing its the sink rate because it is about ten yards from the creek, which floods occasionally, but the real amazing part is that the six inch coil hit so deep.
April 03, 2014 06:03AM
I found aa 1903 indian head 2 inches. There is alot of different factors that affect coin depth. I will post more later.
April 11, 2014 06:52PM
Ronin, how are you liking the hodograph? Do you use it much? I use it more so than the numbers.
April 12, 2014 10:30PM
possum mo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ronin, how are you liking the hodograph? Do you
> use it much? I use it more so than the numbers.

I use the sound first and then check the signal stregnth to make sure it falls into the proper parameters, after that I have more confidence on the hodograph and vdi.
Tri
where it sits....
April 13, 2014 12:51AM
Have we ever considered that where a target is found is not because it ALWAYS sank to that point,

but rather because crap was laid atop of the target faster than it sank.

hmmm......
Re: where it sits....
April 13, 2014 01:11PM
...........always taken into consideration.
Tri
Re: where it sits....
April 13, 2014 01:33PM
I have to admit I have not always considered this.......

possibly others too....

Tom...this of course could also explain why suddenly, newer or older finds are intermixed with
little logical explanation...