Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What machine for high EMI environment with mostly modern trash

Posted by Pac man 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
What machine for high EMI environment with mostly modern trash
April 07, 2014 11:11AM
Well the title pretty well covers it guys.
Depth is always nice but as trashy as most of these type locations are getting much depth will be hard at best.
Wyfi is really killing me and the CTX.

Any advice is appericated.
Pac Man
Re: What machine for high EMI environment with mostly modern trash
April 07, 2014 11:30AM
Deus or any other high/er freq. machine with TID and VID for modern trash sites and high emi
April 07, 2014 11:50AM
emi of any kind doesn't seem to bother Tesoro detectors in my experience.
April 07, 2014 11:55AM
A Fisher CZ works well in EMI and trash and Tesoros do to.
April 07, 2014 12:35PM
GB Pro/G2
April 07, 2014 01:00PM
Hmmm whatever you use a small coil and for that matter a double coil should be considered...

Two of the best oldies were the King Cobra and I think it was called a GMT made by same company did an excellent job but would be like hens teeth to find....
April 07, 2014 01:15PM
Pacman your having trouble w EMIw your CTX?

If your working in trash you should be using the 6" coil. I rarely experienced EMI w the CTX even w the stock coil.

Yes I agree, wi-fi, cell phones and and everything else is making harder to detect.

Aaron
April 07, 2014 01:56PM
Hum,.......................... any will work without the batteries installed.
hee hee
April 07, 2014 02:18PM
Aaron even the 6" is giving more probems than one would expect at some locations.

The CZ3D that i had was really wonderful in high emi locations but the modern trash was a real problem. It was so quiet compared to the F5 i tried it was unreal.

The Deus well i got tired of digging deep pennies and nails that give higher than usuall id numbers along with midtoning on some 6 and 7" coins when i had as much as 10 points below the id numbers.Probuarly just me.As much as i tried to like it i just could not and i sent it on its way.

Had a GBpro at one time and really liked it but sold it mostly because of depth issues. But after gaining more experience and figuring out that for the type of situations that i am running into i shold have kept it. I never liked where the coil wire pluged into the control head. Wish it was directly in line with the shaft. No biggie just a prefrence.

At this point i am leaning toward finding another GBpro or G2. The G2 sells for a little more so what is the difference between the two other than how the machine is laid out?
Will post the same question as another thread.

Thanks for the replys guys.
Pac Man
April 07, 2014 02:39PM
Sounds like a extreme EMI area.

We're you running the CTX on manuel or auto?

Even a CZ w circumstances could be effected by silent EMI, effecting depth

Aaron
April 07, 2014 03:22PM
I love the G2 and the AT gold no EMI

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 09, 2014 05:37PM
If I'm reading correctly, the F19 should run similar to the Gold Bug Pro. If that is the case it will handle EMI very well. Looking forward to some of you guys getting that machine and reporting back.
April 09, 2014 05:47PM
The Gold Bug Pro handles EMI better than any of the 15+ machines I've had in the past 20 years.
Most of the time I can run the gain at 99 with very little EMI.
Love it
If the F19 is about the same, it will be have to have unit.
EMI is one biggest problems I have encountered in the last few years.
April 09, 2014 06:56PM
I just tried a systematic but of course not scientific test on my driveway with my goldbug Pro and my new F75 limited-edition.

The area around my house is a pretty tough EMI environment. All detectors running in all metal seem to have problems here and have to be operated at less than full sensitivity. I found this to be true with at least 10 different detectors.

I set up my two detectors each with their 11 inch standard DD coils.

The goldbug pro would not give me a decent threshold in all metal beyond 90% sensitivity so that's where I left it - at that setting I had a somewhat warbly threshold - got an air test of 17 inches on the US nickel.

The F75 of course was much noisier. I had to turn the sensitivity down to 60% to get a reasonably smooth threshold after testing the frequencies to find the quietest one. At the setting and in boost process it detected the nickel in all metal at 20 inches.

To see how much I would have to reduce the sensitivity of the F 75 to equal to 17 inch depth of the goldbug pro was the next thing I tried. At 25% sensitivity in boost process and all metal the F 75 give me a solid 18 inch return.

The 25% sensitivity setting on the F75 gave a completely smooth threshold, so I decided to adjust the Gold Bug Pro to the same threshold smoothness. I did so and had to reduce the sensitivity to 60% to get it. At that setting I got the nickel at 15 inches.

So what do I conclude from all this? I guess it's fairly simple - the F75 in boost process gives me 2 to 3 inches more your test depth than the gold bug pro does. Also that I shouldn't be afraid to reduce the sensitivity on the F 75 to suit conditions since the impact on target depth is not that great even at very low sensitivity settings.

One other thing I noticed now for the first time. Although the F 75 remembered your settings when you turn it off and turn it back on that does not include the frequency chosen - it comes back on it's preset frequency not the one you left it on.

Just to complete the loop, I tested in Discriminate as well. Both machines were set at zero discrimination.

The Gold Bug Pro happily ran at hundred percent sensitivity - it tested 12 inches on the nickel (11 inches on a dime).

The F 75 in this high EMI environment needed to be turned down to 60% sensitivity and the quietest frequency in order to avoid chirps and beeps randomly from the discrimination circuits. At this setting it got 16 inches on the nickel and 14 on the dime.

All in all I'm pretty happy with my new F75 lE - I think I'm basically going to sell about six other detectors that I no longer need to hang onto.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2014 07:06PM by lytle78.
April 09, 2014 07:19PM
Since I was all set up I want to head in installed the six-inch coils which I have for each machine.

With this coil the goldbug got 12 inches on the nickel and 10 inches on the dime in all metal running at hundred percent which was quiet with this coil. Indiscriminate it got 9 inches on the nickel and 8 inches on the dime.

The F 75 in all metal needed to be turned out to 55% sensitivity and got 15 inches on the nickel and 13 inches on the dime. Indiscriminate I could run it at full sensitivity and it got 13 inches on the nickel and 11 inches on the dime.
April 10, 2014 08:59AM
Very good test...... very good report. This is why I state the criticality of EMI mitigation through the use of F1 - F7 freq shift. It is also exactly why I state the F75 (and/or LTD/SE with boost process) is capable of being run in 'overdrive'........ of which most folks do such........ and get into trouble! (In reference to instability & EMI. Then hate the platform). All the extra horsepower is for: "When conditions ALLOW".

Good write-up!
April 10, 2014 09:22AM
Thanks for ll the replies guys. Decision time now.
April 10, 2014 10:08AM
The CTX like the Exp should handle it better than that with a small coil, you sure you dont have an underground line or cinders? I hunted an area that oddly i could hunt better in the winter than in the summer because of those lines. Also, one of the experts correct me if im wrong, but higher freq machines normally handle EMI better... where as lower freq penatrated soil better.

Dew