Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Best Detector and coil combination for deep coins

Posted by Mccrorysjewelry2 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Best Detector and coil combination for deep coins
April 08, 2014 01:42PM
If you had to pick one detector and pick a coil to go with it, what would your personal opinion be of the best detector and coil combination that would give you the most depth and best separation on those deep older coins that most people would love to find. It could be a certain detector brand and even a after market coil. What ever your combination would be, I would love to know. Lets say we are about to hunt a old park or around a old homestead. What would you use? Thanks
Re: Best Detector and coil combination for deep coins
April 08, 2014 01:55PM
For simplicity and raw depth coil for coil a CZ is hard to beat using the stock 8 inch coil.

I realize the Explorer series give more info and a variety of coils but just too darn heavy..and well learned a depth demon in its own right...
April 08, 2014 02:09PM
Explorer is hot on silver at deep depths..stock coil is no slouch..

10 X12 SEF i think has a advantage at separation at depth..

get the 4.5x7 detech and work in trash with that coil and see if deeper coins do not surface out of trash..

I know everyone wants depth and more depth but that in trash can be tricky..

for me a FT BP mode with small coil in trash for deep targets is the Apex..no other combo is deeper..

but you need a proper BP machine to see the benefits...so that can be hard to find.

but I know you have the Explorer already so what I would do if I was you is stay with that for now..And then get a few coils and carry out some personal test..

If i stayed with an explore i would get the 4.5x7 and then test the ultimate and 10 X12 for myself..

warning though..Once you run that 4.5x7 you may find it becomes a permanent fixture on the machine..

Keith
it's not as easy as tell me what is the best or deepest and then go buy it for oneself..
April 08, 2014 02:42PM
Thanks guys for that info. Keith! I have a Nel sharpshooter 5.5x9.5 coil that I use on my explorer. So do you think the Detech 4.5x7 coil is a better coil and goes deeper than the Nel sharpshooter. I can tell you really like the Detech coils. I have all 3 Nel size coils. Now I wish I had went with Detech or Ultimate. You seem to lean toward them more. Thanks
April 08, 2014 03:47PM
#1)CTX w stock coil

#2) or a Etrac w a Pro coil coil.

The CTX big advantage (IMO) over Etrac is its alot better in iron, though alot more expensive and it offers alot more information, ergonomics vastly improved.

I've been using the CTX for 2yrs now and the more I use it the more I like it.

Aaron
April 08, 2014 08:52PM
You focus on 'deep' and 'coins'......... in concert with areas that can be quite trashy. I would then recommend the F75 SE ..... as it comes with both coils; the 11" DD and a 5" DD. This is nearly 2 detectors-in-one package. There is indeed that much of a performance difference. To the best of all of my testings/findings/documentation.......... the F75 in 'boost process' with 5" DD coil....... is the deepest coin/relic/jewelry detector (as of current-day)....... than all other units with 5" coil (DD or non-DD) on the open market.
April 08, 2014 09:01PM
Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> #1)CTX w stock coil
>
> #2) or a Etrac w a Pro coil coil.
>
> The CTX big advantage (IMO) over Etrac is its alot
> better in iron, though alot more expensive and it
> offers alot more information, ergonomics vastly
> improved.
>
> I've been using the CTX for 2yrs now and the more
> I use it the more I like it.
>
>
> Aaron

Amen & Amen!!
April 08, 2014 09:55PM
Totally agree w Tom IRT the 75LTD, however the only problem I have w that is the EMI in my area. Whenever I take it out I always bring a extra machine as I never know how it might run. Usually though it runs pretty smooth when just using the 5" coil, which works great in the trash and iron.

Aaron
April 08, 2014 10:26PM
For pure raw depth CZ-3D and 10.5'' coil. Some say the Sunray FZ-12'' coil which is true,But almost too big as need a lot of area to swing. Besides the shape of the the 10.5'' hits better on coins on edge. Now for depth along with separation the E-trac with the pro coil. I personally like the Sunray X-8'' myself as it is lighter and almost as deep with better separation,But the stock pro has slight edge on depth. JMHO.
April 08, 2014 11:58PM
Today I did a air test in my jewelry shop just to see how far my cz-3d 1021 would hit a silver coin that was smaller than a dime and half as thick using my 10.5" coil. Mind you, I can't ground balance the detector in my shop. So I set the sensitivity on 5 just for the test. I was hitting that silver coin over 12" away with little effort. Now if I had put the 8" coil on would it have done even better? I tried my minelab se pro the same way with a 12x13 Nel coil. I couldn't pick that silver coin up at past 8". I know from what Tom has told me a air test means nothing. I just couldn't get past how that cz-3d was able to pickup that little silver coin at that depth. What would that mean in a real world ground hunt using my cz-3d with the 10.5" coil? Would my 8" coil do better or 10.5" in a real world ground hunt? Thanks
April 09, 2014 02:14AM
In order for a detector to be known for finding deep coins it has to have the ability to give a correct ID on deep coins. We are not talking about a relic detector that will give a positive number anywhere on the scale just to notify you of a non ferrous target. A good coin shooting detector should have the ability to keep you from digging unwanted holes. As a coin shooter hunting lawns is a requirement. I personally get angry with myself when I dig a hole for junk in a nice yard. The F75 in boost mode is the deepest detector I have ever used. The best detector for coin ID and iron/depth is the CTX. The Etrac and Explorer do not compare in the iron and trash to the CTX. Their depth is on par but with target trace and ability to see multiple targets the CTX clearly is better.

If you want a detector that just notifies you of a target I guess the blisstool would be the deepest. But I personally have never held one.
April 09, 2014 02:55AM
I think this is a very subjective question. Two people using the exact same metal detector setup in the same area...one can be digging coins at 12" and the other can be digging them at only 6". Both are getting the same signals, but one choices to dig theirs the other choices to dig only the ones that sound perfect to them. In the end they both have a different opinion of how good their detector is, even though the detector is performing exactly the same way for both of them!
April 09, 2014 05:22AM
I'd think the Vista Smart in boost or Blisstool would be the deepest, perhaps the F75SE in boost too. But throw in trash ... the Blisstool and Vista goes away. I don't find the CTX to be extremely deep, better than average perhaps - except when in heavy mineralization which is where it excels.
April 09, 2014 06:34AM
IMO...in good clean ground...Fisher CZ 3D with 10.5" coil...bar none.
April 09, 2014 02:34PM
In answer to Mccrorysjewelry2 CZ using a 10.5 coil gives you about an inch advantage and of course better coverage and for some reason likes coins on edge.
Cons I feel on land it would be more easily masked and not handle the environment of a salt water shore as well as the 8...
April 09, 2014 02:55PM
Charles (Sabre)(Tx) [ PM ]
April 09, 2014 06:34AM Registered: 1 year ago
IMO...in good clean ground...Fisher CZ 3D with 10.5" coil...bar none.
Reply Quote Report

Yes and no. When you say "clean", is that without nails? My only problem w my 3d, and it's my favorite for old coins yes, BUT the falsing on old deep, round head screws and nails is unavoidable. That's why I wouldn't consider it the idea machine.

Aaron
April 10, 2014 02:11AM
If a unit can only air-test a coin at 8".......... don't expect it to 'magically' perform deeper/better when dirt is added to the equation!
April 10, 2014 01:13PM
Depends what unit you are talking about as the Explorer series doesn't do well in an air test but will hang in there with the best of them and remember this is coming from a die hard CZ guy...now on the other hand certainly if a CZ doesn't air test well indeed don't expect it to go any deeper in the ground.
April 10, 2014 01:21PM
Dan-Pa
"this is coming from a die hard CZ guy..."

Jeez Dan, how could we forget, hardly a week gos by you don't remind us....; )

Aaron
April 10, 2014 05:28PM
Aaron, we get newbies, don't forget.
April 10, 2014 06:45PM
LoL @ Aaron and Ozzie!
April 11, 2014 12:06PM
I really wish that I had gave more time to learning the F75SE's (I bought 2 of them ovr a range of a year). It was my fortune (or misfortune, s the case may be) to purchase units whose Boost Process would not make the slightest difference in my test garden. I would swing over a 58 cal Minie Ball (bullet shaped) at fringe depths in Default mode, all the while adjusting ground balance, sensitivity,......every parameter. I would raise coil an inch off ground and lose the signal. (it had been signaling as iron grunt).
I would then switch to Boost Process. I would repeat all tests. Identical results. I would then raise coil an inch over ground. Lose signal.
I am in NO WAY a Fisher-basher. I love their units. Have owned plenty of the different ones. And their double first cousins, the Teknetics units. I even had a T2 (same results). I never could use sens. at 95% much less 99%. Rarely, in the woods, away from powerlines, could I go above 80 or 85 sensitivity.
So I used the F75SE and the Teknetic T2 in All Metal (with Boost Process initiated) and used these units when I hunted woods sites exclusively. I long for the day when I can get a hold of a "proper" F75SE........or at least, learn to use the ones I had in a way that would give me the depth that they are noted for. But I was losing my depth advantage by not getting ti use the unit at 99% (I suspect).
So, I am looking to purchase a new type Teknetic G2 when they hit the stores. I will say one thing about the F75 and T2 (both in Special Edition format). They had an unequaled battery longeivity. I sure do not mean to cause a controversy concerning these two units. Not at all. They are so hot that it is VERY possible that I was not mentally capable of getting the best of them. In other words, there is every chance that the fault was mine. Bit in my defence, I DID tweak EVERY parameter trying to get them to run deep. But their Boost Process never gave me that extra edge. I would have to scrub the ground to get the target, whether in DE or BP.
This is merely a rookies experience. Over a year ago, so I was relatively new to the detecting scene. I am NOT convinced that I did ALL I could do........due to lack of knowledge.
May 27, 2015 01:31AM
I know its an older analog machine but I enjoy using my highly modified Mark 1 with depth modification. Along with the tones it is a deadly coin picker and in a trashy park I would rather use the Mark 1 as its ultra slow sweep speed can really pick out the good targets from the bad.
May 27, 2015 01:46AM
I for to add that the 10" white coil for the Mark 1 is an incredible coil for depth and its very easy to pinpoint with as well.
May 27, 2015 01:53AM
Which one would do best in heavy alkali soils where the ground balance on the deus is 87 to 93? How does the f 75 do in that type of ground?
May 27, 2015 02:08AM
I dont think there's a "best detector" for the most part. Too much variation in the substrate you are hunting in to make that call.
fwiw, I've been very happy with the depth I get with my CTX + 17" coil.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2015 02:09AM by Champ Ferguson.
May 27, 2015 05:07AM
Kind of an impossible question to answer, but if your asking this question in regards only to detectors we have actually owned, then no question hands down winner for deep coins is my
Minelab Sov/Elite with a large wot coil. Also the old timers around know the famous Fisher 1266X went very deep but it often was a nail.. HH
May 27, 2015 05:11AM
For me the Tejon with 10x12 or maybe the new coil now.

Rick
May 27, 2015 11:42AM
A CZ,, in EXPERIENCED hands !
May 27, 2015 02:28PM
Keith - what do you mean by proper BP machine to get Depth. Are you referring to the performance inconsistency amoung FT products.? Or something else.

Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Explorer is hot on silver at deep depths..stock
> coil is no slouch..
>
> 10 X12 SEF i think has a advantage at separation
> at depth..
>
> get the 4.5x7 detech and work in trash with that
> coil and see if deeper coins do not surface out of
> trash..
>
> I know everyone wants depth and more depth but
> that in trash can be tricky..
>
> for me a FT BP mode with small coil in trash for
> deep targets is the Apex..no other combo is
> deeper..
>
> but you need a proper BP machine to see the
> benefits...so that can be hard to find.
>
> but I know you have the Explorer already so what I
> would do if I was you is stay with that for
> now..And then get a few coils and carry out some
> personal test..
>
> If i stayed with an explore i would get the 4.5x7
> and then test the ultimate and 10 X12 for
> myself..
>
> warning though..Once you run that 4.5x7 you may
> find it becomes a permanent fixture on the
> machine..
>
> Keith
> it's not as easy as tell me what is the best or
> deepest and then go buy it for oneself..

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!