Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Spent today detecting a dead hole...but no turkey hunter's in this spot...

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Spent today detecting a dead hole...but no turkey hunter's in this spot...
April 08, 2014 10:15PM
And the most impressive find was this 1892 Indian head..

Machine that got it was the G2 with 5x10 DD..that's a tight coil..

these 2 large nails was in the hole and no telling how many more pieces of iron of the small nature was in the hole after I dug it and checked the holestill lot sof litle burp's in there..

the most amazing thing about it was I got the 70 I.D. hit in one direction before digging.....it was about 6 inches deep..

I know its nothing great but of the very few targets I dug today on this site this one really stuck out as exceptional actually first coin to come off this site ever.. .Wish i would of been videoing to let you hear the small peep it gave on

Also got this small button shaped like a heart,,,first for me ....it read 37-39 bounce...but was tight...again in alot or iron..its not old, it's got an iron back probably same age as the Indian Head..

Nothing to boast about for sure but again if you knew this site its solid iron everywhere and hunted very very hard...anything that comes out now takes patience...

By the way what type of animal lays big goose size eggs in a dished out spot in the ground...they were speckled looking too boot..

I thought Rattlesnake..I was in some briars walkign back to the truck and saw the eggs sort of gave me an un easy feeling...

Of course I saw turkey tracks right after that and that may be the way they lay without a straw type nest?

not sure..

hope its not a rattler...

Keith
Re: Spent today detecting a dead hole...but no turkey hunter's in this spot...
April 08, 2014 11:10PM
Wild turkey eggs are white with brown specks and probably 3" x 2". Darn turkeys are big too. The tom's have spurs like a rooster. I saw a fox walk around a few tom's and kept his distance. They use to roam through my property, about 18 of them. I don't see them anymore since a couple hundred houses went up behind me.
April 09, 2014 01:38AM
Funny thing about suburbia – some critters seem to prefer above all else. Whitetail deer, raccoons, coyotes, where we live even javelinas seem to think that my backyard is a really cool place.

There's a pesky half-grown female bobcat that I think was probably born within 100 feet of my house who keeps wandering into my garage – can't persuade her to stay out – don't want to hurt her – but I've got a pussycat that I really fond of and I think she might eat it.

Ah - the perils of living in modern suburbia.
Cool finds Keith
April 09, 2014 02:12AM
Its all good in a days work

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 09, 2014 02:36AM
It's always sweet to bring something out of the hole with a few nails around it :-) Those are the best finds. Thanks for sharing Keith.

Kenny
April 09, 2014 03:09AM
Nice hunt Keith those turkey hunters are hard to see, some snakes lay eggs, not rattlesnakes they come out ready to bite! HH
April 09, 2014 03:19AM
That's pretty impressive to find that Indian beneath all that iron.

That's how I found my 43' L Cent w the CTX, underneath a big spike and rusted wire

Congrats Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2014 12:54PM by Aaron.
April 09, 2014 03:26AM
Rattlers give birth to live young dude...no worries.
April 09, 2014 03:51AM
Gotta love finding good stuff in the iron. Most folks will not put the time in a iron laden site.
Corey
April 09, 2014 05:11AM
One wonders if the same non-ferrous target would have been detectable if the ground had been wet? A little water can make the iron come alive - and no more coin signal.
April 09, 2014 11:30AM
Good find. Man i sure like those IHs.Ive got four that came from one small site but cannot seem to get anymore. Go back at times but seems to have dried up for me.
April 09, 2014 12:16PM
Poisonous snakes give live birth. Only the non poisonous ones lay eggs. Odd how that is.

I've dug some of those tin/iron back heart shaped things. They are from Carhartt overalls/bibs. They ran with the whole heart thing on the buttons.
April 09, 2014 02:00PM
Thanks for the info fellas..

I looked on line and im sure there Turkey eggs now..

look like goose eggs but spotted...

did not know turkey just laid on the ground with out actually constructing a nest..Geese go through great lengths to construct nest..

Good info on the rattlers..did not know live birth..

Hey Daniel I thought Car Hart By The Design In The middle..

Never seen one in a heart shape though..must be more region specific..

could be off kids overalls..could not imagine a farmer wearing a heart shape on his bibs..LOL..

Thanks again..
Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2014 07:05PM by Keith Southern.
April 09, 2014 05:08PM
In the late 1800s and early 1900s, Carhartt specialized in quality railroad clothing. That button dates back to that era.
I've seen them sell on the internet, in non-dug condition, for $30-$40. Look at this link.
www.pinterest.com/pin/23995810486384305
April 09, 2014 07:07PM
Hey laser thanks for the info..

Did not know thye were valuable...I usually toss them in a jar..

I think I have a goodbit of the Carhartt's regular round ones somewhere...

Keith
April 11, 2014 08:56PM
Hey Johhny..

ground was really wet...

We had 3.5 inch's of rain that had just ended that morning...

So yes the ground was saturated actually quite nasty to dig in soupy...

Keith