Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Mission & Civil War Buttons,Relics & things

Posted by Elbert 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Mission & Civil War Buttons,Relics & things
April 10, 2014 05:26AM
These are my finds from my last 4 hunts at the new site Paul (Old California) & I located & started hunting recently. I didn't know I had some of the buttons shown until after going through the pile of trash of supposed trash of a 5 gallon bucket.

The trash shown is about two thirds of what I dug. Paul had quite a bit of trash but much less than me. Paul's experience sure shows in signal identification.

I'm hoping by removing this trash I won't have to deal with it later and just maybe it will not mask some good targets.

The first picture is of the trash I dug. The second picture is my finds from a 4/8/2014 hunt. The third picture is of the buttons and relics. The fourth picture is the Eagle Cuff Button. The fifth picture is of the Eagle Coat Button( Identification & date help very much appreciated. The sixth picture is of a diamond shaped pattern on a coat button. Again help with identification appreciated. The seventh picture is the back of the button in picture six. Picture 8 is a #27 Phoenix Button. Picture 9 is a #2 Phoenix Button and picture 10 is Los Banos, California Token.

In picture # 3 row 1,the first item is part of a Ball Button. The nest 2 items a slightly convexed plain Buttons. The 4th item is the Eagle Cuff Button. Next is the Diamond shaped design button, Nex the Eagle Coat Button and then the inside of a 2 piece button.

Row 2--First 3 items ?,Next 2 items are the Phoenix Buttons and the next 2 are thick heavy coat button-Brass.

Row 3- First item ?.Next is a saddle ornament. Then the Los Banes, Ca. Token. Next item is a .50 musket Ball. Next is a brass ornament.

Row 4- Part of an ink bottle, then a .50 shell casing--No identification. Next is .375 Winchester shell casing.Rest of row relic stuff smiling smiley.

Last row--Part of a hand tool that would have a hammer on the other end and a musket trigger part ?

Thanks for looking and I hope this wasn't to winded.

El

Re: Mission & Civil War Buttons,Relics & things
April 10, 2014 09:07AM
Some of these are fairly high-value items. Love that Los Banos, CAL 10-Cent token. Even bent...... it'll have good value. That's where Fisher Research Laboratory was.
Buttons appear to be from 1830's - 1860's. (Backmarks will tell).
April 10, 2014 09:16AM
Comgrats on some great signals!!!! It'd be nice to hear a button signal but have about forgot what they sound like. CONGRATS and thanks for the pics!!!!
April 10, 2014 09:51AM
Very nice Elbert!
April 10, 2014 10:31AM
Looks like a great spot.

Really nice buttons especially the eagles. Where's all the coins? Gotta be gold one there some where.

Aaron
April 10, 2014 12:59PM
Congratulations El!! Great finds bud! Still looking for my first Phoenix button.
April 10, 2014 03:25PM
Grat finds I know the feeling of working hard and having it pay off

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 10, 2014 03:35PM
Nice digs..

look those Phoenix buttons up.

interesting story on them.

keith
April 10, 2014 10:56PM
Those are some very interesting finds there, well worth digging all the trash.

Congrats on the finds.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
April 11, 2014 01:34AM
Great hunt Elbert, all well deserved finds.
Corey
April 11, 2014 01:52AM
I didn't know anything about them Keith.....thanks!

[relichunting.proboards.com]
April 11, 2014 02:11AM
Super neat finds El you sure did good! Like I was saying the site should be called button hill with all the buttons surfacing.

I'll take a look at my button book on those two eagle buttons, get back with you.

The No. 2 Phoenix button has the cannon this particular one eludes my Phoenix collection, great score with this one real rare one to find.

Can't wait to see these finds up close, will bring the button and token book.

Congrats El!
Paul
April 11, 2014 03:15PM
Thanks Tom. Yes, Fisher Lab was just over the hill from me, about 40 minutes away. I visited there many times. As far as I can tell there is no picture of the token in any publication. I did find history on Ben Orogenen and the location of his bar. The "Won-Ton". Paul (Old California) is checking his token books to see if he can find out anything.

Kevin B and MichiganRelicHunter--Thank you for the remarks. Very much appreciated.

Aaron-- Paul(Old California) got them. He dug a Seated Dime and some Reales and Reale Buttons. He also keeps telling me there has to be coins in there including a gold coin . Thank you.

dealthray-- I've been detecting for quite awhile and maybe dug and couple of buttons and one seated dime until now. These are my first Phoenix Buttons. Yours will come. Thanks.

Thanks LowBoy, I know what you mean.

Keith, thanks , I also have a 1/2 inch thick report on the buttons by an archeologist.

Digs_Alot and docbars, thank you and thanks for viewing.

Thanks Paul--Hopefully see you this weekend.

BTW, if anyone has any information on the bigger Eagle Button or any of the others I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks again everyone for looking.

El
April 11, 2014 04:58PM
Good link Aaron..

They dont show up on the East coast but rarely..

Elton the eagle buttons are pre civil war period..

the one that in real bad shape look 1840's.

the one with the I in the shield is like 1850s

the Toe Tap is around the civil war period right before maybe...

Toe taps that look like Swiss cheeese holes are usually post civil war period...the ones like you have there with the small pinholes in it seem to be pre civilwar and up to at least..

Looking through your trash I find it unique that your horsehoes are whole and thick..

Im used to hard riding cavalry shoes in my spots..they will be halves and thin..A horseshoe will break in the toe from hard riding..full gallop the toe hits the ground first..Cavalry wore out some Shoes..and some Horses..

Keith
April 11, 2014 05:35PM
El,

This site will eventfully give up a Bust or two, More early seated and a few more reales.

See you soon!

Keith, We are finding allot of Ox shoes here which is normal back then Ox carts were used on this old road these are the smaller half shoes. We fine these up in Gold County too Ox were used to cart heavy loads.

Got to love iron signals, Once in a while a nice iron relic will surface smiling smiley

Paul (Ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2014 05:37PM by Old California.
April 11, 2014 07:17PM
Great information Keith. Thank you.

Sure would like to dig a bust Paul. See you this weekend.

El