Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Indian Tomahawk ???

Posted by Elbert 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Indian Tomahawk ???
April 12, 2014 05:23AM
Reference my original post titled "Very old roofing Hammer/Hatchet"

Attached is reference material from two sites. One from " Texas A&M" and the other from" Fur Trade Axes and Tomahawks".

I first thought the item I dug was a very old roofing hammer/hatchet but as I researched further I started to change my mind that it was a roofing hammer/ hatchet. I then started thinking it was a Lathing Hatchet but realized that was an error also because the size of the striking surface was too small. The item I dug has a striking surface that is 1/2" octagonal and does not have a nail pulling groove. The Taxes A & M report(page 60 & 61) indicates the striking surface of a Lathing Hatchet to be 1 1/8" and 1 1/2 " octagonal. It then made since to me that it would be very difficult to consistently hit a nail with a 1/2 " striking surface. I have a hard enough time now with a regular hammer.

The item I found very much resembles a Blacksmiths Flattie or Flatter tool but except for the very large striking surface. I point this tool out because of the way it was top rodded by use of a withe.

Somewhere along the line in my research a tomahawk came up. I can't remember what it was. Maybe something I read or saw.

At this time I am inclined to believe the item I dug is an Indian Tomahawk.

I contacted Mark Miller of the "Fur Trade Axes & Tomahawk" site to verify the longer item in the fifth picture of page 13 of his site was a tomahawk. He said it was and called it a Top Polled Hammer Tomahawk. I believe this tomahawk was rodded with a withe type handle.

To further make me believe this is a tomahawk is because it was dug at a site that was along a well traveled trail used by settlers, Indians, etc. Indians from the central California counties (King, Kern, etc.) would travel this trail to raid the Ranchos in the counties (Monterey, Santa Clara, etc.) of the Central Coast of California.

I sure would appreciate if someone could correct me if my assumption is incorrect.

Thanks for viewing.

El

[anthropology.tamu.edu]

[furtradetomahawks.tripod.com]

Re: Indian Tomahawk ???
April 12, 2014 10:00AM
Very well could be,....... interesting.
April 12, 2014 01:27PM
Sounds like you had an interesting search and perhaps it is...This forum is a learning tool of its own as I didn't know Indians and the like worked with metals and forging and thought they used rocks of various sizes for their weapons. Thanks for your input....
April 12, 2014 02:41PM
Dan -Pa.-- I thought the same thing about the materials used. BTW, do you still have the Shadow X5 I sold you?

El
April 12, 2014 05:23PM
Elbert ..Dos it have a hafted slot/hole in it...

Looks more like a narrow adze to me...but I cant get a correct orientation from the pic..

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2014 05:26PM by Keith Southern.
April 12, 2014 05:29PM
Any ideas on the age?

Aaron
April 12, 2014 11:51PM
April 13, 2014 12:33AM
Hey Elbert...

thanks for more pic's..

I want it to be a tomahawk......

Can I ask how was it hafted..???

Keith
April 13, 2014 12:50AM
Don't know Keith but I have a feeling it was top rodded. Here is and excerpt from my post above.

"The item I found very much resembles a Blacksmiths Flattie or Flatter tool but except for the very large striking surface. I point this tool out because of the way it was top rodded by use of a withe. "
April 13, 2014 01:25AM
So you think it was bound...

I dont know Elbert...I have collected and seen/Held and owned quite a few colonial/ trade period axes/hatchet's even one tobbaco one and have dug a couple in 1700's sites on the coast.. Yet Im not an expert..

Maybe posting to a indian artifacts forum would be in order...

My gut feeling on the item is its a wide blade chisel/hewing device that saw no use or very little..

It does not seem rigid enough ...

But again

im no expert or even really anyone to say one way or another on it...

I offer my gut dfeeling but take it for what it is, an opinion..

one thing that usually helps me is what type site did it come off of?

The back end of you device you have there was not intended to hit a nail or whatever.. it is intended to accept a blow...An inlione blow for that fact..

hold it and strike it with a hammer type device..is the way I see it...

And since the head is not flared it was not put to use...

Keith