Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

best programs on the se pro when using a small coil

Posted by Mccrorysjewelry2 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
best programs on the se pro when using a small coil
April 24, 2014 05:32PM
I have a minelab se pro and want to know what would be a good program to use in parks or yards when using a small coil like the excelerator 4.5x7 for hunting old coins. Just got permission to hunt a home that is 5th generation owned. The owner is in her 80's and doesn't remember anyone ever hunting there. The house is a 3 story brick home from the mid 1800's. Said her family was very wealthy back then and said there is a large seller in the house with dirt floor. Said the under ground railroad came through her property. Looking for a really good old coin program. Any help would be greatly appreciate. Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2014 06:11PM by Mccrorysjewelry2.
Re: best programs on the se pro when using a small coil
April 24, 2014 07:52PM
That will be a challenging site to hunt..

I have found the houses that have been occupied for 150 years or more are full of trash...

I gravitate to finding deep woods house sites that are long gone and have not had occupation after about 1890 or so..then all I have to do is concentrate on iron as the trash..any non ferrous is a keeper usually except for shotgun hulls..

So the way i hunt those sites won't hold up well to the way you will need to hunt your site..

i dont do modern trash..I'm in the mindset of if it's not small iron dig it..but that does not work everywhere.you would become burnt out quick in a multi period site digging it all..

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2014 01:49AM by Keith Southern.
April 24, 2014 08:01PM
Challenging yes, lots of trash and iron.

Have lots of patience, take your time and if you can get a better machine in the iron like a XP, or F75 or LTD

Have fun!

Aaron
April 24, 2014 08:13PM
Thanks Keith, I got it set up on a silver program to start with. A lot of the trash rejected. Can I turn the sensitivity up on this se using a small coil? I have many different programs that I got from Paul Lazaro. This will be the first one I try. I want to do a Jewelry and coin program to on this old site. Hoping to find some old jewelry. Was told by the owner that a gold ring was found when some guys were digging a new septic line. Thanks
April 24, 2014 09:27PM
If you take your time and pay attention, you will find old coins, I can almost guarantee it..... I'm excited for ya MJ.....don't make me a liar, lol.
April 25, 2014 01:51AM
Ozzie does bring up a ggo point...if the site has not been cherry picked then you will dig coin's......

You'll be the one doing the cherry picking...

Good luck.

Keith
April 25, 2014 01:23PM
Personally would go over it with several different units and various coils and dig a lot of iffies. As far as programs go no secret programs just ones that work for you. Good luck and getting on the plane if you need any help. Indeed should find some goodies and wish you luck...
April 25, 2014 01:41PM
Thanks Guys for all your help. I know you all can teach me a lot about detecting and you are willing to share your knowledge with others that lack your expertise. We all thank you for that. Thanks, Kevin
April 25, 2014 01:45PM
Run it in all metal , listen for the high tones, as long as you can stand all the noise.
April 26, 2014 05:14PM
Smaller coils almost always allow higher SENS for EMI reasons, but remember too high can be a problem. DISC may keep your sanity if there is a lot of iron, but if there is a lot of iron slow check your nulls and cross check them- heck even dig a few just to see! I keep a target chart with me because I use several machines and can't keep all the numbers straight all the time. I sold the small coil for my SE Pro, but I am thinking about getting another. GL & HH!

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
May 03, 2014 03:38AM
Kevin -- I would NOT run it in all metal; the noise on a multi-period site will drive you NUTS if running zero disc, and some of the nails (if you are running zero disc in conductive mode) will sound pretty doggone good -- like a silver coin, since some will have the same number on the conductive side as a silver coin (though the FE number will be high). You need to kill those high FE number, high CO number targets -- the iron, in other words, so that you don't drive yourself nuts. So, try this -- set up your machine in "Iron Mask," and set your Iron Mask at about 20 or so. Then, given that you are hunting a very small, stable coil, run your sensitivity in manual, up to at least 30 or so. Then, dig everything that is not reading "31" on the conductive side -- as this will most ALWAYS be iron, like a small bolt or screw. Once you get a feel for the site, you may find that there is a particular type of trash (say, pull tab or whatever), that you keep digging, which you may want to begin to ignore once you get used to how they ID at that site. Keep in mind though that gold may read the same way as one of those pull tabs, so you risk missing one if you don't dig everything. Again though -- iron mask is the way to go, in my opinion, as setting it at "20" or so will keep you from digging many nails and such (though some nails will still give some false "good" tones at times; if you are familiar with the Explorer you will know what I am referring to.

I will say though that one way you COULD run in all-metal mode, as possum mo suggested, is to run FERROUS mode; but if you've never run ferrous sounds, this may not be the time to try to get used to it -- it depends how much experience you have on your machine. IF you usually run conductive mode, I'd run it set up in the manner I described. IF you usually do run in ferrous mode, though, and are used to that, then by all means run zero disc and dig all mid and high tones (i.e. all middle and lower FE numbers, which will usually be non-ferrous targets).

Good luck!

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2014 03:40AM by steveg.
May 03, 2014 07:04PM
Steve that is pretty much what I use at the beach with my pro coil. Only I run SENS about 22-26 depending on conditions. I may toggle to DISC to check some targets.
Tom

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie