Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Found A Coin & Button Patch Today :-)

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Found A Coin & Button Patch Today :-)
April 25, 2014 12:03AM
Nothing too over the top today but did gain permission to hunt a field where a school was built in 1855 but burned and was rebuilt in 1876 and then torn down around 1950

It's a farm field now and has been since way back when the school was torn down...

If the place has ever been hunted it doesn't show - there were coins, buttons and piles of stuff everywhere!

Strange/tough place to hunt though -- it's so iron and junk infested that nothing reads anywhere near proper on the ID but if you kicked some dirt around the #s would change/go up!

I didn't show the junk in the pics on this one - we've all seen the same old same old a 1000 xs over so I figured I'd spare everyone on that stuff this time ;-)

Total take =

34 wheat cents (1910 - 1940s)
3 Indian Heads (1886 - 1890 - 1902)
1 V Nickel (1900)
1 Buff Nickel (1925)
1 Jefferson Nickel (1948)
1 Mercury Dime (1939-d)
1 Roosevelt (1946-p)
3 thin blank slugs? :-/
a bunch of pencil eraser tops that I kept thinking were nickels every time I hit one!
6 Buttons
a folded over filigree heart shaped brooch/pin
a cool Iron Key
and the oldest Mason Jar Top I've ever dug/seen -- it's really OLD -- check out the design on it -- I was hoping it was attached to a jar full of coins from the period but no such luck for me!

HH all

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2014 12:03AM by MichiganRelicHunter.
Re: Found A Coin & Button Patch Today :-)
April 25, 2014 12:30AM
Okay Wayne that's it, time to knock it off, your finding way to much stuff! LOL

I know those eraser heads look nickels every time and that's a lot of coins, probably ALOT more where that came from.

Gotta be some Seated there somewhere...

Aaron
April 25, 2014 01:47AM
Nice haul MRH.
April 25, 2014 01:52AM
Those buttons are the same age as your coin's Wayne...

nice digs

Keith
April 25, 2014 03:23AM
Sweet digs. Once you get that first layer of targets out of the way the older stuff is going to start popping out next. I would say that the soil has a lot of bleed off from the iron. I know a lot of those old sites like that were bulldozed, plowed,disked,,and burned down are really tuff to work through.
I search an old church a couple of years ago.this church burned down twice. So I had twice the amount of nails and other trash. It took the f75 and the 5 inch coil to really get the site opened up,but I eventually started pulling a seated every now and then so it worked out in the end.
Corey
April 25, 2014 01:23PM
Looks like a super fun hunt!
April 26, 2014 03:46AM
Where abouts in Michigan do you hunt?

I have a couple of buddies who detect out in Newaygo county that I get together with once in a while.
April 26, 2014 05:53PM
Arthur-Canada Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where abouts in Michigan do you hunt?
>
> I have a couple of buddies who detect out in
> Newaygo county that I get together with once in a
> while.

Kent, Barry, and Ionia counties more than any

Newaygo is about a 35 min drive for me (to the city limits) --- I can be in Newaygo co. in like 20 min --- I have hunted and do hunt a few lakes in Newaygo county from time to time --- don't know anyone from there so I don't have any land to hunt over that way and all the public land over there has been pounded to death so I don't go over there much
April 26, 2014 09:29PM
That sounds like a challenging place to hunt. A place to really hone those detecting skills around iron and rusty soil.

Based on the age and type of site, those 1800’s school children should have lost some seated silver. But getting to it underneath the iron and rust sounds difficult.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
April 26, 2014 09:43PM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Arthur-Canada Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Where abouts in Michigan do you hunt?
> >
> > I have a couple of buddies who detect out in
> > Newaygo county that I get together with once in
> a
> > while.
>
>
> Kent, Barry, and Ionia counties more than any
>
> Newaygo is about a 35 min drive for me (to the
> city limits) --- I can be in Newaygo co. in like
> 20 min --- I have hunted and do hunt a few lakes
> in Newaygo county from time to time --- don't know
> anyone from there so I don't have any land to hunt
> over that way and all the public land over there
> has been pounded to death so I don't go over there
> much

I keep telling my buddies to get permission on some farm fields. I do really well farm hunting in Ontario near my place.