Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

THE 100th PULL TAB

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
THE 100th PULL TAB
February 20, 2010 07:22AM
Did a little recon work this afternoon to check out a new hunting spot that only dates to the 30's-40's but I thought it had great potential for silver coins as well as jewelry due to it's purpose.

I spent a couple of hours checking it out, and at one point a park ranger came over to me. I though oh oh, I'm probably getting booted. He asked me if I had my detecting permit, and I showed it to him. Not only was he fine with me being there, but he turned out to be really nice guy and a fountain of great information telling me about the history of the park, places that have been changed, and about all kinds of old spots that haven't been used in decades, but are still accessible to the public. Wow that's a first!

So I continued detecting the site and did find a few 1940's wheats, tons of clad and then came a super nice sounding signal, albeit an odd TID. Heck I dig lots of junk though, if it sounds good, I go for it, and sometimes it pays off. Well this was one of those times! One thing that irritates me about the F75 LTD in boost mode is it's propensity to make pulltabs sound so darn good. One thing that I LOVE about the F75 LTD boost mode is it's propensity to make GOLD sound so darn good.

About five inches down I pulled out a trio of interconnected rings. By this time it was dark and all I could see was the gleam of gold and silver, I could tell they weren't junkers, but I couldn't see them well enough to look for marks (heck I can't see well enough to see marks in the middle of the day half the time).

When I got home I louped them and oddly there's no marks on the yellow gold rings, but the silver ring is marked .925. I did an acid test on the gold rings and both tested good for 14K. Odd the lowly silver ring would be marked, but not the gold rings????

Without further adieu:

Thanks for looking & HH,
Brian
Re: THE 100th PULL TAB
February 20, 2010 09:23AM
Man, that is so awesome Brian!
Just recently on Findmall, someone found a unmarked gold wedding band and it was pretty old. I forgot what year it was they had said but alot of folks agreed they didnt start marking the gold bands till sometime around the 20's or 30's, I think.
Man, you are so fortunate to be able to hunt, we are still in winter over here in Michigan, altough the weather has been milder lately, the ground is all frozen.
HH! Aaron
February 20, 2010 12:41PM
Brian + Persistence = Reinforcement
February 20, 2010 01:33PM
Also reward
February 20, 2010 01:52PM
Beats a pull tab any day !

Nice !
February 20, 2010 02:03PM
Foreign and old American rings are not always marked or marked correctly for instance rings may have a lower Kt. reading than they marked..yep some manufacturers cheat...in any case nice find and only your jeweler can tell for sure..Indeed those that dig find what the other guy or gal left behind...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2015 01:57PM by Dan-Pa..
July 13, 2015 11:12PM
Fun times!
July 13, 2015 11:16PM
Great find(s).