Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Be careful when dealing with certain people on here

Posted by wjs 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
wjs
Be careful when dealing with certain people on here
May 22, 2014 05:34PM
Here is the original thread.....

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Made a trade with Flintstone for a longer lower rod for a shorter one. I sent the rod to him on May 9th. I received mine from him today (5-22)......The rod was advertised as like new. Here are the pictures of the "LIKE NEW" lower rod. You can see there is some obvious damage to both sides of the rod. I didn't even want to post this but I am tired of people getting away with ripping other people off. I think its only fair I bring this to peoples attention so he don't take advantage of anyone else on here.

Re: Be careful when dealing with certain people on here
May 22, 2014 05:54PM
Well...

Last year, I learned the hard way too as I bought a machine off a prominent member here that claimed it work great!

Well guess what?

When I recieved it didn't work...at all!

The sellers response was: "just send it back to Tesoro, they'll probably fix it for free"

Sorry, not my responsibility.

I come to find out later that this member has reputation opening up machines and tinkering with them.

Maybe that's why fellow members are not so inclined to buy from him.

Aaron
May 22, 2014 05:57PM
My opinion is names should be posted of anyone that has this reputation....go ahead and let the rest know. that would be a good deed. jmho
wjs
May 22, 2014 06:13PM
I will give the guy the chance to make it right. If he don't I will post his name, I may even have to mention him on one of my youtube videos for thousands to see and the other forums as well. You would have to be blind not to see the damage on the rod. Maybe he just thought I was stupid and wouldn't notice or wouldn't call him on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2014 06:17PM by wjs.
May 22, 2014 06:20PM
Man - that's a kick in the teeth.

On one hand at least it wasn't a big ticket item but on the other - it's still a dirty trick to pull no matter :-/
wjs
May 22, 2014 06:24PM
Yes thankfully it wasn't a high end detector or other expensive item. But to me it's the principle of the matter regardless of the value. Being dishonest is dishonest. You reap what you sow.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2014 06:27PM by wjs.
May 22, 2014 07:00PM
Don't worry about things like that,... your life gets shortened with each frown on your forehead.

I bought a CZ-3D second hand from a dealer, volume modulation didn't work from day 1.
OK,... took me a while to figure that one out,... you expect things to work don't you.
Anyway,... its being UPS-ed to Fisher.

Bought an F75 Ltd of the same dealer,... well you don't expect when you visit the shop and have a talk,... you come home still having to put it together and try it.
Box salesman.

Thought I'd try a Gold Bug DP,... same thing,... but this time after asembling it,... it has a sticky disc/all metal knob, doesn't engage fluently.

Anyway,... a lot of stuff get's sold in the box these days,... the end user is being used as the quality control guy more and more.
But then,... we like our stuff cheap don't we,...

Economics and cutting corners usually results in a lesser satisfied customer than usual and lesser over the counter cashflow.

HH
Johnb
May 22, 2014 07:25PM
I would try another dealer.

I do not cut corners when buying new.

My time is worth ALOT more than a few bucks.

Aaron
May 22, 2014 08:03PM
Well said,... problem is the other dealers are more than a drive away.
And I expect they have the same "box moving" sales attitude.

Then again I do spend a lot of time reading up on units on the most customer satisfying forum about, costs nothing, you learn a bunch :-)

We sell powertools, from the humble chainsaw to the easy going lawnmower.
Thing is,... people don't like trimming hedges, mowing lawns, needing to cut wood, etc. etc.
They are allready in a negative "Have to do this to please the wife" attitude when handling their powertool.

If it doesn't work as advertised, or the salesman hasn't gone through the fine points of telling them how to use it.
They hate it from day 1!!
Thank God,... its so much easier using a chainsaw than the old fashioned handsaw.
A bit like using a pan in stead of a detector.

However, things need to be checked before they leave the shop. Proper form and function, powertool 101, checklist before take-off.
Even give it a nice polish and shine before it goes out into the aggressive world of garden maintenance.

Back to detectors.
When the dealer has made it Fishers problem, everything returns and works as advertised.
It's going on another UPS trip across the world :-)

Thing is going to be the worlds most travelled detector .

Sometimes it takes a little distance to iron out a cut corner.

Aaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would try another dealer.
>
> I do not cut corners when buying new.
>
> My time is worth ALOT more than a few bucks.
>
> Aaron

HH
Johnb
May 22, 2014 09:24PM
A couple of good lessons here IMHO.
First is the value of pictures even on something this simple.
Second is the value of a full description---shaft may be new but appears to be modified and I see no referrence to that in the OP. It may or may not affect the function but you should have had the option of accepting or not.
Third is how an issue can be resolved if things go awry!
My guess here is a longer shaft needs more cord and the shaft was modified to accept a more direct routing from the coil--that straight line/shortest route thing. First picture. Looks like while cutting the notch in the right side the left was damaged. Second picture.
As an arbitor I would suggest return of both shafts to original owners with Flintstone cover all shipping---no foul in the final reel.
Hope you guys can work it out
If this is acceptable my fee would be to have the spacers that fit in the end sent to me since I need them for my spare shaftsmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2014 09:25PM by shoveler.
May 22, 2014 09:26PM
Just curious if this is anything that could of happened during shipping. I know who this person is not personally but have dealt with him and talked a few times with him on the phone & always thought of him as one of the good guys. Not saying that he did or didn't intentionally do it just seems odd to me if he did. Hope things work out between you fellas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2014 11:59PM by SkiWhiz.
May 22, 2014 09:40PM
Looks like it was notched for the cable ?

Keith
May 22, 2014 09:53PM
I am concerned about the person Aaron mentioned, but didn't name "by name." My personal opinion is -- at some point, after all attempts have been made to resolve the issue, and there's no chance that the situation is just a "misunderstanding" or something to that effect, but instead is DEFINITELY the case of someone being dishonest -- that the name of the forum member being dishonest is brought out into the open. This forum has always been about openness and honesty, and if there is any clear-cut case of dishonesty, especially regarding personal transactions, I feel it should be "outed."

It seems that the issue with Flintstone was just a misunderstanding of sorts, but the issue Aaron mentioned is different entirely -- in that (apparently) when the seller was told of the issue, a response of "send it to the manufacturer for repair" is unacceptable.

W

Just my opinion...

Steve

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2014 09:56PM by steveg.
May 22, 2014 10:17PM
I see that 21 people have looked at the post that i put to WJS. but no one has posted. I had never seen a minelab rod or for that mater a detector other than in ads. I got the detector as new with 17 mos. of warranty left on it. I did not cut anything. If wjs would of emailed me i would send it back. I have delted with alot of people on this forum and others and have never done onyone wrong. I am not about to do it with a rod. If wjs wants to work this out then he should contact me, not put bullsh// about people. I hope you all don,t think i would do this intenely. Thanks Steve for giveing me a good word. Flintstone
May 22, 2014 10:23PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> Looks like it was notched for the cable ?
>
>
>
>
> Keith

That's what I thought when I first saw it. If so should have been mentioned. Always good to ask for clear in focus pictures.
Pictures don't always tell the truth, be wary if the pictures are slightly out of focus or a bit dark.
Flintstone has a good rep on the other forums.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2014 10:24PM by Sven1.
wjs
Flintstone
May 22, 2014 10:30PM
If you want to send my original rod back I will do the same. I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't realize the rod had been cut on. As it is now I am am afraid it will break at the point it has been cut on. I apologize if I jumped to conclusions. I guess I assume people know what the rod should look like and weather it has been altered.
Re: Flintstone
May 22, 2014 10:35PM
Email me your address again and it will be returned. Do you still have mine?
wjs
Re: Flintstone
May 22, 2014 10:42PM
Yes I have the one you sent. I will PM you my address.
May 22, 2014 11:18PM
I have had deals with Flintstone in the past with no issues. I am sure he will make it right.

Tom in SC
May 23, 2014 02:24AM
Steve- "I am concerned about the person Aaron mentioned, but didn't name "by name."

Steve,

I'm hoping "he" will contact me first, after reading this and make good, instead of having a mud slinging fight.

His name is not on possums thread....
May 23, 2014 03:36AM
Flintstone is great to deal with, what you have here is a misunderstanding. I would have contacted him directly before posting on the forum.

I'm sure he would have seen the error on his part and made good on the transaction, we all make mistakes one time or another let's workout the issue off the forum first.

Flintstone you're alright in our book, you've always come through when we trade or sell.

Paul ( CA)
May 23, 2014 03:44AM
How much effort did you make to right the situation before you tried to screw up Flintstones rep???? Sometimes people just make honest mistakes.
I will call myself out here. I traded my vista gold to keith for his tejon. Unknown to me,the machine wouldnt work right in fast mode...I thought it was just a quirky S.O.B. in fast. I felt like crap about,and thankfully Keith didnt slam my name.
May 23, 2014 03:47AM
Flintstone sold me a 6x10 coil once and with no hitch.....

Just cant seem to remember which machine it fit LOL!!

I believe flint will make it right...He's a longtime forum's member...Ive corresponded with him on several occasions and he's always been curtious ..

Hey Ray no problem on my end it the trade we we did...I got it taken care of, actually got a new machine out out the deal...I know that you did not Know it was running wrong....I did not even think anything of it ...Never fret about the simple stuff...I knew you would make it right or would catch me later on some other way if I could nto get it fixed...

I actually only told you it was tore up in fast mode so you would understand more about why it was a bear to run in that mode in mineral when you owned it and asked me about the falsing issues...

Never a problem Ray!!

by the way your book will be to you on Tuesday they said at the Post office..

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2014 03:52AM by Keith Southern.
May 23, 2014 02:40PM
Aaron Wrote:
> Steve- "I am concerned about the person Aaron
> mentioned, but didn't name "by name."
>
> Steve,
>
> I'm hoping "he" will contact me first, after
> reading this and make good, instead of having a
> mud slinging fight.
>
> His name is not on possums thread....

Aaron --

Understood. Keep us posted...

Flintstone --

Obviously a misunderstanding occurred. You have lots of people vouching for you.

wjs --

I understand why you thought you had been given a raw deal, after seeing the damage on the rod. Sounds like, though, that you are dealing with an honest person and it will be worked out in the end.

Lots of good people on this forum...LOTS of them. This is a good place and I'm glad that -- aside from possibly Aaron's experience -- folks here are just as they seem...good, honest people.

Steve
May 23, 2014 03:22PM
Given the 2 week gap in time there is probably more fishy/non-standard types of things that Bill is not mentioning about this trade. Bill is a 100% stand up guy and rightfully expects the same in return I would guess. Glad it's being worked out.
May 23, 2014 04:17PM
detectingMO Wrote:
> Given the 2 week gap in time there is probably
> more fishy/non-standard types of things that Bill
> is not mentioning about this trade. Bill is a
> 100% stand up guy and rightfully expects the same
> in return I would guess. Glad it's being worked
> out.

I agree about Bill. He is the type guy who you can ship to before getting the payment and know he is good for it. Makes good videos too......

Tom in SC
May 23, 2014 04:57PM
I just want everyone to see that i am returning the rod that i sent wjs, this is the tracking # ( 9114901230801641034386 ) > I am sorry about the rod , I had no idea that it had been anything done to it. I have never seen one befor to compear it to. I never want to do anyone wrong. I had put the wrong address on it the first time and it came back. That is why it took awhile to get to him. It should be there by Tue. 05/ 27/ 14. Flintstone
May 23, 2014 05:05PM
Your a man or Honor Flint. Just an honest mistake that's all.
HH
Corey
May 23, 2014 05:55PM
Just 2 cents more... Always do all you can or at least a reasonable amount to resolve with the other party before you go public. You eat less crow I have found. Also buying off forum regulars is way safer then the 'bay or its like. I have had ugly experiences with some there and some very good one too, to be fair. Still I think one is way better off going forum even though you still may have a problem and everywhere, the more you use good sense up front the better (duh!). No refunds if you already knew this.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
wjs
May 23, 2014 08:22PM
I admit now that I should have sent Flintstone a PM and tried to work it out first. I always try to describe my items as accurately as possible and most of the time I will call it good shape or shows typical use even on items that look new. I always try to pack the items I sell or trade real good and give the other person a tracking number. Here's how my mind was thinking. I sent my rod to him on the 9th of May and sent a tracking number. I waited quite a while and never received the lower rod from him then I get a PM that says he had the wrong address on it and it got returned and he couldn't track it. I just assumed he was one of those guys looking to scam someone.So I wait some more and finally on the 22nd it shows up with the cut outs on it. I saw the cut outs on the shaft as soon as I took it out of the box. To tell you the truth it made me mad and I posted the post. I should have contacted him but I didn't. That was my fault. So lesson learned. As far as I'm concerned we have worked it out. We will just return the rods.