Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Edited: Tom I have a theory on the Omega's iron handling and how it affects

Posted by Jackpine 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Edited: Tom I have a theory on the Omega's iron handling and how it affects
February 21, 2010 02:56AM
edited to remove text.

Tom

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2010 10:23PM by Jackpine.
Re: Tom I have a theory on the Omega's iron handling and how it effects
February 21, 2010 09:23AM
Interesting analysis Tom.

Which is better in the "bed of nails" scenario, the Omega or the F75 LTD?

Brian
Comparison
February 21, 2010 11:14AM
Brian,

I have never held an F75 so can't compare. Against the T2 Pf process disc 21 and this is based on memory not head to head, my bet is the Omega would do better on most targets with the exception of small low conductors. The T2 that I personally have experience with was almost bullet proof EMI wise, it would chatter when layed down only.

A small jab at Dave J, Although he states that there is no reason for Pf being better in iron over DE, my experience is otherwise. Pf process handles fast changing ground signals (disturbed ground) which IMO also aids when hunting iron infested spots. It falses on iron in PF (quite a bit actually) but also gives more iffy signals to investigate, many of which turn out to be non-ferrous which DE process reads as solid iron. The Omega on the other hand is quiet in iron and seemingly 'highlights' the non-ferrous signals. So to answer your question... my pick... Omega.

Thread by Tom D on Omega with 11" DD coil

[www.dankowskidetectors.com]
Tom Z

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2010 11:26AM by Jackpine.
February 21, 2010 06:03PM
I just got the 8000 and have done some iron hunting in one of my relic camps I got the 8000 as a backup for EMI and the fact that it is running at 7.5 makes it a great coin finder better then the F5. I was using the 11 DD and I found the LTD is better at picking out good targets in iron and also that is what $500.00 more buys you. But if the LTD went down maybe the small coil on the 8000 would make it a better iron hunter.

As far as hunting in an area with less iron the 8000 is a nice unit in fact I have wanted a detector that I can rehunt with after using the LTD in boost mode at a disc of 0-4. The 8000 is light and fast and has a nice sound to it. It is not as deep as the LTD but seems to be more on par with the F75. I don't know about fringe targets I am sure the LTD is king there.

In the Calif Gold Country the ground can change very quickley the LTD runs a lot more stable then my F75 and the 8000 runs more stable then the LTD. I need to do some turf hunting in the City and see what it can do. I have an old school picked out to give it a test in.

The 8000 is light and seems well built I don't think they really promoted this 8000 as a heavy hitter. The box it comes in is kind of stupid but from what I have read most users really like it and for now I think I do to.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 21, 2010 10:05PM
Tom I remember BuckeyeBrad reporting that he had exceptional results in heavy iron using the PF mode.

There's an old mineral springs resort area I've tried hunting a few times without much success. It was a big to-do in it's day, dating back to the 1860's. In it's hey-day it could accomodate 5,000 people, had a golf course, wells fargo office, general store, butcher shop, bowling alley, dance hall, mineral springs bath house, and bottled mineral spring water that was shipped all around the world. It should be a gold mine for old coins, jewelery and other goodies.

Unfortunately all of the buildings burned to the the ground, and it's littered with square nails. I mean littered, there's a blanket of them on the surface of the ground. A friend and I are planning to go back with the 4-foot wide magnet that rolls (it's used to pick up dropped nails from a stage) to try and collect as many of the surface nails as possible, then rake over the same areas, and then metal detect the area. We have the layout of the place, so we'll focus on some of the more promising areas. It's frustrating, because you know there's tons of stuff there, even if it's been heavily hunted in the past, there should still be a ton of stuff that's masked by all the iron.

Perhaps hitting it with both the F75 LTD and the Omega after trying to clean out some of the iron would be a good strategy. I've tried hitting it in the past with a Coinstrike, F70, and another machine that I can't recall (Sovereign perhaps?).

Thanks and HH,
Brian

PS - Lawrenzo that was fast on getting the O8 and hunting with it already!

Brian
February 22, 2010 03:22AM
You have to pay $$ extra for next day but I don't like waiting around when a weekend is around the corner. We hunted the place you wrote about. I found a half dime and Rybo found a half dollar barber. He found a small cannon ball and I found a badge with the name of the springs and some other stuff written on it. I also got kicked off a forum from people thinking we should have not been hunting there.

We found they filled a lot of the area with dirt but try the pool area and then by the creek that is where I found my finds. Rybo found his behind the main building and Crosby found some cool stuff also but I forget where he was.

It should be filled with a lot of relics the grass was really tall in some places.

Yeah I would try the 5" DD on the LTD in the trash and I would bring the 8000....should be lots of cool stuff but we had a hard time there I would go back but sometimes a place just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

February 22, 2010 06:37AM
Lawrenzo this is an entirely different mineral springs hotel. It's about three hours north, Crosby and I have been there a couple of times with no luck yet, but I we should be finding stuff if it wasn't for the immense amount of iron there (beds of square nails).

I know the one your speaking of well (it's 20 minutes from my house) and the sh!tstorm that ensued after you posted the pics of your hunt - LOL I have hunted that one a few times too and have only found a silver washington quarter and a few wheats, but the owner has changed his mind on letting us back out there for the time being. If I can get back in, I know there's more oldies there for sure, but all the easy stuff is gone IMHO. Your right, there's sand dumped all over the place. Why I have no idea (dumb owner is why). There's a caretaker on site now, so I wouldn't go without permission, or he'll greet you with his 12-gauge (for real).
February 22, 2010 01:23PM
Tom,

Jagged edges is a major role (especially with foil) in 'jumpy' ID numbers. . . and also dictates range/depth capabilities. MASS of the object is another biggie (this plays a major role in signal strength). And operating freq of the unit ........especially with low conductors such as foil........dictates if the unit can detect the target. F75 is a higher operating freq......and will naturally detect lower conductors better than Omega's lower freq.

Overall, the Omega is not quite as deep as a standard F75.........even on highly conductive coins..........as the F75 is exceptionally (overdriven) sensitive.
February 22, 2010 04:35PM
Oh yeah Crosby asked me once to join you guys It is a long drive from my place so I passed. hope y ou guys find some stuff Crosby told me there are a few places up there. Would be fun to maybe join you guys after the rain stops that can't help the iron only hurt the hunt!

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

Tom
February 22, 2010 10:02PM
My apologies for bringing up something I should have known might be proprietary.

Tom Z

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2010 10:21PM by Jackpine.
Re: Tom
February 23, 2010 02:39AM
Not a problem.
Re: Edited: Tom I have a theory on the Omega's iron handling and how it affects
February 24, 2010 04:41AM
LowBoy, I don't know if the Omega is better than the F5 as a coin finder since I've never used the Omega. But the transmit frequency doesn't make the Omega any better since both units operate at 7.8 kHz.

I know the machines are on the same platform and similar in performance, but the Omega is about a year younger so I would imagine there were some small improvements made on the Omega. From what I've read, one would be ergonomics when using the 11" coil. The F5 is not as well balanced with the 11" as it is with the stock 5X10.
February 24, 2010 07:35AM
I saved the text of the initial original post, I guess I don't see what's sensitive about it.
February 24, 2010 08:10AM
I think the O8 is more on par with a lower frequency T2 then it is with the F5 (even has the same 40 number expanded iron range as the T2, and the TID windows are almost identical).

marcomo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> LowBoy, I don't know if the Omega is better than
> the F5 as a coin finder since I've never used the
> Omega. But the transmit frequency doesn't make
> the Omega any better since both units operate at
> 7.8 kHz.
>
> I know the machines are on the same platform and
> similar in performance, but the Omega is about a
> year younger so I would imagine there were some
> small improvements made on the Omega. From what
> I've read, one would be ergonomics when using the
> 11" coil. The F5 is not as well balanced with the
> 11" as it is with the stock 5X10.
February 24, 2010 04:25PM
I can tell you now that I have the 8000 that I like it a lot better then the F5. IT is more stable faster has better info for my ears and is deeper. It is a lot like a T2 maybe as deep in calif

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

February 25, 2010 03:30AM
LowBoy - The F5 has fast recovery and I think it's very stable. If the Omega is faster and more stable than the F5, that's a definite plus.

As someone experienced and talented who's used both machines, I put significant stock in your opinion.

I'm wondering if you can do your best to describe what it is about the audio that makes you prefer the Omega over the F5.

With the notable exception of Mike Hillis, it seems like people who have used both seem to prefer the Omega.
F5 Omega
February 25, 2010 10:45AM
The big difference (at least what is noticeable to the user) between the F5 and the Omega is what the threshold level does to the audio. On the F5 as you increase the threshold setting deep targets become louder, whereas with the Omega you retain the modulated audio on deeper targets. Mike prefers the saturated audio of the F5 which may be part of why he likes it for his gold jewelry hunting.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2010 10:52AM by Jackpine.
February 25, 2010 04:32PM
The F5 was not very good with EMI and was not deep for me. The 8000 gives me more insight into the target. Just sounds different more info for my ears. I can't really find a way to explaine it. I have used detectors for years so it is just something I have picked up and the LTD and F75 are great at all the different info it gives you. I will try and do a video when it dries out a bit up here.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

February 26, 2010 07:13AM
Tom, LowBoy and Brian, thanks for the info.

I know when I initially had the F5 there were definite EMI issues - which were silenced when the coil was in motion. After sending the unit in to FT for repair, the difference is night and day.

BTW, legendary First Texas lead designer and resident genius Dave Johnson is a very kind and helpful person who is A-1 in my book.

After reading the DJ essay on EMI with FT detectors, I was certain my F5 wasn't working up to snuff. Dave was kind enough to test my unit and determined there were EMI issues serious enough to instruct the repair dept. to replace the entire electronics of the unit to make sure the unit was sent back to me in proper working order.

How much of the improvement is due to the software upgrade I don't know, I do know I now have the "62" software and before it was "61"
February 26, 2010 04:36PM
Great to know the F5 was not deep enough for me and worked fine till I was near the phone lines the 8000 works a lot better and I love the 11DD coil thanks for the info and go FISHER

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]