Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

NEL Coils

Posted by goodmore 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
NEL Coils
June 19, 2014 02:04AM
I picked up an older Gold Maxx from a forum member. I also picked up two NEL Coils for it. The Sharp and the Sharpshooter. I wanted a detector to pick through the iron with. I'll be detecting a very old property this weekend weather permitting. We are talking 1740's. Actually this place is 14 acres so it will be quite a few hunts. There is even a stream for some hot day hunting. So far in my yard the little 5 inch Sharp coil is much more impressive than the larger Sharpshooter coil. These are very early testing results. But after buying Deus coils and CTX coils the price of these two NEL coils was almost nothing. Dirt hunting without a display? Man I'm not sure I can do it anymore. It has been quite a few years. I have watched quite a few of the Gold Maxx vids on youtube like I'm cramming for a test. Including Mr. Southern's vids.
Re: NEL Coils
June 19, 2014 04:32AM
Your really gonna like the tones on that GMP, forget about the TID screen. You actually learn audibly faster that way.

Aaron
June 19, 2014 03:53PM
I like the 5 inch nel because it fills a void..but the 9 inch stock coil will not be out done by the sharpshooter in my opinion.

the sharp is hood for large iron sites or tight brush areas..but in just nails offers no advantage from stock..

The GMP is all about the audio..and keep you ground bal aboge say 11oclock or iron will be very noisy..

Keith
June 22, 2014 01:16PM
Well the first hunt at the old site was yesterday. It was probably the most challenging site I have ever hunted. Needless to say this was not the place to go trying a new detector. I did have it out for about half an hour. But I had trouble telling the difference between high and low tones. You might think to yourself he should have dug them all. Well the difference is probably in the hundreds for digging holes. So here is the deal. As much as I know I should spend time with this detector, I think I am going to part with it. If one of you forum members wants a very good deal on an older Gold Maxx with three coils (stock nine with new cover, NEL Sharpshooter, and NEL 5" sharp coil please PM me. This unit is very clean. The CTX worked very well in the environment I was in. Unfortunately after one hunt I was pretty much skunked on good targets. I did find two period spoons. My one buddy found a 1814 Large Cent in very good shape. We will hit it again when some of the vegetation dies back. The flies were bad, the place is loaded with poison and I had a ball. Hunting with two good friends helped. I know one of you guys out there would love that Gold Maxx.
June 23, 2014 03:04PM
Goodmore,

I had the same problem as you with the 3 tone feature with the GMP, At first had a difficult time telling the second and third tone apart.

Always been a 2-tone relic hunter but with the GMP having the option of 2 or 3 tone decided it was time to get the 3-tone down, So I practiced for several hours at our local school grounds going after low conductive only (middle tone). Took a while and it wasn't just one trip out took several to finally get the tones down, Now it's second nature tell them apart the instance the machine fires on a signal.

The GMP is a great machine, can be used for Gold jewelry hunting (dig second tone only) with 3-tone feature. Or a serious relic detector with either 2 or 3 tone feature, Although I dig it all prefer the 3-tone feature with the GMP when relic hunting.

If you're digging too much iron, You can make some adjustments to eliminate some of the iron coming in as conductive.

Hope you reconsider the GMP, If you're into relic hunting hate to see you pass on one of the best relic machines made.

Paul (Ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2014 03:06PM by Old California.