Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

First 3 Deus hunts

Posted by Elbert 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
First 3 Deus hunts
June 27, 2014 04:19AM
Went back to the site on Fathers Day with the Deus that Paul and I have been hunting and came up with 2 Phoenix Buttons. My 3rd and 4th. One is a # 30 coat button and the other a # 6 cuff button, my first which needs more cleaning. I also dug a 1901 V Nickel, my first which looks to be an early drop but is poor condition because of being in the ground for quite some time. I also dug some thingy's and a quite a bit of trash. The usual square nails and tin and aluminum slaw on both hunts.

On my first hunt with the Deus I came away with various sizes and shapes of ball buttons and flat buttons. Also dug what Paul and I think is a hammer to a old rifle. Would be great if some one would help with identification. This might be the third rifle part I've found at this site.

On the 3rd hunt I didn't dig any buttons but Paul came away with 5 more. He sure is a button magnet. On this hunt I dug what we think may be a musket part and an old possible hammered hook and chain and an 1893 Indianhead Penny.. Any help with identification of the gun parts and chain would really be appreciated.

The 4 Phoenix Buttons pictured were all dug at this site. One with a T2 with NEL coil and the others with the Deus. Paul and I have so far dug a total of 8 Phoenix Buttons at this site.

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy the pictures.

El

Re: First 3 Deus hunts
June 27, 2014 10:39AM
Nice haul of artifacts there Elbert - love those buttons!

I can't help identify any of the objects in question

but

in the 5th picture - the 1st button? on the left - I dug that same exact target yesterday at a 1860s site. Do you know if it's a ball button of some type?
June 27, 2014 12:06PM
Nice digs El! Your 4 phoenixes ahead of me buddy. Im sure yall will keep hammering that site. Ray
June 27, 2014 01:38PM
Sweet buttons, looks like you've got a great site.

Aaron
June 27, 2014 02:14PM
Michigan Relic Hunter--- Thank you. I don't know what that item is. I was hoping someone could identify it. I actually got it in that picture by mistake.

Thanks Ray. I'm sure yours will be coming. It took me over 15 years to get these. We do keep hitting the site but it looks like the targets are deep. We need a rain to help us out.

Aaron, than you. This site is quite old. Paul (Old California) is the one who identified the site but we didn't know for sure what we had until I dug the first Phoenix Button.
June 27, 2014 04:00PM
Good job El!

Especially finding 4 Phoenix buttons for the year, The one with the cannon underneath the phoenix is a real treat those are super rare to find.

I dug one of those pistol/button ball objects with the small attachment from the same site this last hunt, but for the life of me can't find it probably tossed with the trash, Hopefully it's somewhere in the bed of my pickup.

On the second to last picture, The small round object to the right of the ax head looks be to part of a bayonet shaft? Could be wrong but that's the first thought that entered my mind when seeing it, Wonderful finds El keep up the great work you're doing extremely well smiling smiley

Congrats,
Paul (Ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 04:01PM by Old California.
June 27, 2014 06:32PM
The item lying next to the axe head isnt a bayonet throat but a barrel band to a gun...its upside down in the pic...

the barrel goes through the smaller part and the stock is in the wider part the piece broken off is where a swivel was at for the sling...its a percussion piece or earlier.....
the whole piece slides down over the forearm stock and barrel and holds the barrel to the stock.. hence the word barrel band...

The brass piece in the pic buy itself with the teeth is whats left of a suspender clip ..the teeth locked into the fabric...

The piece your asking about in the first pic abut being a musket part...its hinged...a few muskets did have patch doors in the side of the stock but they were brass usually..your seems awful robust for that...I may envison it fitting on maybe a wood stove door or the like...Not a gun..

I like your phoenix buttons.......congrats on 3 and 4...

That really is a mult- period site your on...1850s to 1900's..alot of that iron is farm implement's like tines and plow nuts etc...even see a stove part..

Keith
June 27, 2014 11:29PM
I must admit at first I didn't care for it ,But the DEUS is starting to get my attention. I also see used ones with the warranty still available starting to have lower prices in my range. Also I like the fact it breaks down easy and fits into it's own back pack so you can go into the woods and hunt with out a bunch of busy body's wondering what you are up to. If the used prices keep dropping might just pick one up for the rite price.
June 27, 2014 11:56PM
A very nice collection of relics from your site.

Makes you wonder what’s down deep under the surface iron/trash.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
June 28, 2014 03:10PM
Thank you Keith, appreciate your yours and others on this forum for your knowledge of relics.

Hi Harold--The Deus is very fast and a pleasure to use because of the weight and at 74 and with a bad shoulder it makes a difference.

Dig_alot-Paul and I were talking about that the other day. A little rain would really help plus the ground we are hunting is really bad and our machines lose allot of depth here.
June 28, 2014 07:51PM
That is one more reason I forgot about my bad shoulder. I bet it is a joy to swing. How much life you get out of a single charge? Thanks.
June 28, 2014 09:24PM
The search coil uses up the charge the fastest. I would not be afraid to put 12 to 13 hrs on it. The Headphones and contoller can go 25 hrs. They all take about three hrs to recharge. I took my Deus out for a hunt today with the 11 inch coil. One button and one V nickel. But man this place is hunted out. And I was only there for an hour. I think the Deus will do really well in the places I have lined up.
June 28, 2014 10:50PM
The pointy piece to the left of the axe head or wedge (hard to tell) appears to be part of a horse drawn sickle mower.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2014 10:52PM by ron_c.
June 29, 2014 01:32PM
Nice haul of relics, I think as time goes on the Deus will demonstrate that it is a very good relic machine.
June 29, 2014 02:44PM
Harold-- The only problem I had with the unit is the controller would turn off by itself. I found out on another forum that the controller is programed to turn off after 5 to 51/2 hrs. if no touch pad is touched. This happened to me on my 3 hunts. I think I'll call the repair center to double check on this. Battery is great I've gone over 10 hrs. without a problem.

El
June 29, 2014 02:47PM
Glad you like the Deus Goodmore. Is this the replacement to the GMP?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2014 02:52PM by Elbert.
June 29, 2014 03:27PM
ron_c------- Thanks for the picture. Paul and I have dug quite a few of these at this site along with ox and horse shoes. We new they were farm equipment but didn't know there use.

markg-- Thank you, and yes, it does an excellent job in heavy iron.
June 29, 2014 04:23PM
Had the pleasure to meet a Deus swinger the other day and wow that baby is sure light and being an Explorer user he is happy with the weight and performance as he does well with it.
Congrats on some nice finds.....Dan