Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

F-75 and Beach Gold

Posted by gravediggermax 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
F-75 and Beach Gold
February 25, 2010 11:33PM
F-75 AND BEACH GOLD QUEST

for several weeks now I have been using my f75 on the beach.

Hunting zone has been damp sand and lower dry zone. Been finding lots of clad, odds and ends, and lots of lead, one 46 silver dime.................No gold or any form.

So, I have been testing my f75 at home some in the afternoon with these conclusions. Now I need comments from one and all.

With it set up in all metals mode, 1 tone, grn bal........79..........sensit.........60 to 80......notch 1.........
Works Great on all targets and all gold rings pictured in this post.

When I switch to discriminate...........oh boy

3 tones, 4 tones, 1 tone............sensit.........60 to 80.............DISCRIMINATION.........from 1 to 20, it will not hit any of the gold pictured, will hit all clad and silver.

Now somewhere around 24, it starts to hit the 2 thin gold rings only, from 30 to 35, it will hit one of the bigger gold ring, but not the helmet nor the gold band.................from 40 to 50 it will hit every target, gold and silver just like in all metals....................and correctly I.D. EACH even at the lower number where they come in at when in all metals, but the discrimination is set above 40.

I like it, but do not understand it.

Re: F-75 and Beach Gold
February 26, 2010 01:03AM
Most TRUE gold (especially small gold rings -- engagement rings --) will ID from '19 - 24' on the F75. And thin white gold rings are MUCH closer to the '19 & 20' ID range. Large/heavy mens rings can/will be in the 30's & 40's.
A small low conductive white gold ring on the F75 whilst in Discrim mode......should be detectable to 12" without any problem. If not...... I suspect Discrim and/or Notch is set too high. The F75 (and especially the LTD) is VERY sensitive to small gold............even moreso than nearly all SPECIFICALLY designated gold prospecting machines.

Your chain with helmet; I suspect the only thing your unit is detecting.....is most probably ONLY the pendent. Chains are VERY difficult to detect.

And a ring that is no longer a 'ring'..... due to the fact that the solder joint is corroded and/or open....... brings the ring to a level of 'discontinuity' (open circuit); subsequently, nearly or completely undetectable.
February 26, 2010 01:34AM
tom

why can i hear them all loud and clear when the discrimination is set to above 40..........?
hear all of the.......i seems the higher i went, the better it would hit each.

started to rain so i stopped at 50.........it would I.D. them with correct lower numbers

m
February 26, 2010 05:58PM
Max...please keep us in the loop with how the F75 is handling the beach. I bet if you continue to use it and experiment, you will end up with some gold.
February 27, 2010 02:50AM
I have no idea what's happening with your unit...UNLESS you have 'notched IN' a certain range.
February 27, 2010 07:03AM
Last year I did a lot of testing on my F75 LTD in boost mode for beach hunting and I found that the 2F tone option worked awesome! Even found a chain, although it turned out to be a junker, but in all other tone options it was just a scratchy sound I wouldn't have dug, but in 2F tones it was a solid foil range hit.

I don't know if your using the legacy F75 of the LTD model, but I'm finding that in boost mode the F75 really enhances the signal on gold so it gets your attention, and also gold seems to lock on the TID in the ground. I agree with Tom's TID assessment, but would like to add that a few weeks ago I found a 24K gold mens signet ring that was a solid 62 TID about 4" deep (thought it was might be an indian head or wheatback as the park was fairly old).

I'm finding the F75 LTD in boost mode to be a formidable gold hunting machine, and have found more gold with it in the turf in the three months I've owned it then the previous two years with all my other machines combined, so it's slowly paying for itself.
February 27, 2010 12:24PM
My wedding band ID's as '83'.....due to the fact that it's 24Kt (pure) gold. It looks like a silver Barber Quarter to the F75/LTD. BUT..........I MUST clarify/announce.....this is NOT the 'Norm'........as most NON-Orient gold is much less than 24Kt. -- Most of the gold we are looking for (here in the U.S.) is alloyed...and is 10Kt and 14Kt. These Karats/types of rings will NEVER ID this high......such as 24Kt. The gold rings (ratio-wise) that we are most-wanting to find....ID in the range of '19' - '24'. These are usually the women's rings with the stones. (( Most men's rings do not have stones )).
February 27, 2010 01:14PM
I've found them numbers to be true for my gold ring finds too.
February 27, 2010 02:21PM
ok

the real deal

never checked the notch settings until this morning..........."65"

i rechecked all rings and it would still hit each and every one with true correct all metal I.D...........just like in the first test.

factory reset..........now it is back to working normal and all is well, but i can not get it to duplicate...............reset the notch to "65" and less. i works like it should and WILL NOT I.D. the lower numbers rings at all.

strange

headed to the beach now

back later

thanks everyone for the help
February 28, 2010 03:42AM
Glad to hear it's back to normal.
March 03, 2010 10:04AM
I realized the 24K was the reason for the higher TID, I just wanted to throw that out there. That said, any idea what an 18K gold ring would hit at?

I live 50 miles away from San Francisco, I wonder if it would be worth hitting parks near China Town in hopes of finding Asian high karat gold? I bet metal detecting in Asian countries could be very profitable in populous beaches and parks if 24K is their gold standard.

I hit a soccer field a couple of days ago that's heavily used, and heavily used by folks that tend to wear gold. I was mostly looking for the lower conductivity range (18-30 just to be safe). Unfortunately all I ended up with was a few wads of foil, and a pocket full of clad. I Was surprised as much as this field is used that I didn't find any jewelery, not even silver or junkers.
March 03, 2010 07:04PM
hey cobra

in va beach in 2008 & 2009 we have had a great increase in indian people.....the country of india.

real nice 18K and 22K finds from the beach have increase greatly for us.

f y i
March 04, 2010 01:44AM
There is NO VDI 'number' for 18Kt gold. It is dependent upon mass/size/shape. I have 18Kt that ranges from 22-50 on the F75 & LTD.
March 04, 2010 02:14AM
gravediggermax Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> hey cobra
>
> in va beach in 2008 & 2009 we have had a great
> increase in indian people.....the country of
> india.
>
> real nice 18K and 22K finds from the beach have
> increase greatly for us.
>
> f y i

We have a huge influx of Indian people here too (especially near Silicon Valley). I've hit tot lots and parks where they live and unfortunately their treasures have alluded me. I do know a guy that found a whopper, a giant 24K Indian marriage necklace, IIRC it was over 4ozs of pure gold at the beach in Santa Cruz. That paid for a few tectors smiling smiley

Here's a pic of it:

March 04, 2010 02:16AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
> There is NO VDI 'number' for 18Kt gold. It is
> dependent upon mass/size/shape. I have 18Kt that
> ranges from 22-50 on the F75 & LTD.

Thanks Tom. I figured the alloy/size/shape would skew the VDI readings.

Sadly if you want to find the good stuff, you really have to dig everything. The good news, is that (in my experience) gold in the ground (using boost mode) locks on really well with a stable TID (may jump +/- a couple of digits, but it's a pretty solid lock) whereas a lot of coins, and especially junk, don't have a solid lock unless their shallow (disclaimer - in my soil).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2010 02:19AM by Cal_cobra.
i love india
March 04, 2010 02:53AM
klondiked
March 04, 2010 05:32AM
It seems to me Fisher or someone has to find a way to deal with trash and gold. I am not saying we will be able to go out and dig rings all day but a way to give us more info on tabs VS gold????

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
March 04, 2010 01:06PM
LowBoy

i like your thought, but we need to add in bottle caps.....new style
March 05, 2010 12:33PM
gravediggermax Wrote:
> hey cobra
>
> in va beach in 2008 & 2009 we have had a great
> increase in indian people.....the country of
> india.
>
> real nice 18K and 22K finds from the beach have
> increase greatly for us.
>
> f y i

Max I have only found a couple high carat rings up here in Michigan. 3-18K, 1-20K and 1-22K in 10 years of wading fresh water.

This is a 20K wedding band hallmarked Stockholm 1897 that came in as solid zinc on the ID Edge. Almost passed it up but since targets were slim at this local swimming hole I dug it. Sure glad I did!

[my.voyager.net]

Tom
March 05, 2010 01:17PM
hey tom

back in 2005 when i was using my frankensplorer i had kinda same........big fat 14k mans band.....confort fit............hit right on the penny/zinc line. i guess these rings are loaded with copper.....sad smiley

F75 hit its first 14K yesterday at the Obx, nc.....in wet shells and strange old copper coin, actually two coins were found, other is same size and in better shape than mine, mabye results later...........yesterday's sm. 14k hit right on 22/24

March 05, 2010 09:25PM
That's a fairly wide band......and it must be of fairly high quality gold to hit in the 22 - 24 ID range (this is the 'foil' range on icon-ID detectors). Nice ring.
March 05, 2010 10:36PM
tom

it is tiny......dia. is smaller than a dime, i did recheck it today - hits at 27 - 14k
March 06, 2010 01:09PM
Hard to tell from a photo.......but looks to be about a size '4'. Good quality. And also appears to be (if you set it on a table) about the height of 3 or 4 dimes stacked on top of each other. If it was a wire thin-band...........about the height of one dime...........it would ID around 20 - 22.
Fantastic finds
March 07, 2010 01:07AM
The F75 is a very good machine.