Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

DEUS 3.2 (Video added 8/2/14)

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
DEUS 3.2 (Video added 8/2/14)
August 01, 2014 12:39AM
I can verify that the 3.2 Version of the DEUS I.D.s in mineral better than the earlier 2.0 and also better than the standalone GMP unit..

by this I mean it is less likely to call a non ferrous target iron in bad mineral ...

actually it may be the best at positively I.D.ing low conductors in mineral in terms od if tis iron or not of any machine I have ever ran..Even a FBS..

I may also add Im seeing alot less 98s on the screen and more positive i.d's at decent depth..Compared to the 2.0..

They have worked on the I.D. in mineral abilities for sure..

Again this may be the forrunner in bad dirt for more accurate I.D. in terms of if its iron or not..

And thats a biggie..alot of targets that I.D. as iron on machines in funky dirt is not iron..

Im Impressed with this...

Live hunt thread
[www.dankowskidetectors.com]

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2014 02:29AM by Keith Southern.
Re: DEUS 3.2
August 01, 2014 02:36AM
Yes all that and light as a feather. Finding mine to be a superb CW relic site machine with much better depth with 11" coil than the first version I used previously.
August 01, 2014 03:58AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can verify that the 3.2 Version of the DEUS
> I.D.s in mineral better than the earlier 2.0 and
> also better than the standalone GMP unit..
>
> by this I mean it is less likely to call a non
> ferrous target iron in bad mineral ...
>
> actually it may be the best at positively I.D.ing
> low conductors in mineral in terms od if tis iron
> or not of any machine I have ever ran..Even a
> FBS..
>
>
> I may also add Im seeing alot less 98s on the
> screen and more positive i.d's at decent
> depth..Compared to the 2.0..
>
>
> They have worked on the I.D. in mineral abilities
> for sure..
>
> Again this may be the forrunner in bad dirt for
> more accurate I.D. in terms of if its iron or
> not..
>
> And thats a biggie..alot of targets that I.D. as
> iron on machines in funky dirt is not iron..
>
> Im Impressed with this...
>
> Keith

Keith, so since you have tried the 3.2v Deus, are you saying you would choose the Deus over the GMP?
August 01, 2014 04:31AM
I really like the GMP Ron...

But to be honest in minerals I have the 3.2 DEUS is calling targets good that are good more often..

they have done somehting in the processing.. not sure what or if tis intermingled wiht the Ground balance..but it has some see through mineral on low conductors especially that gett drug down into the iron tone in bad dirt...

They have addressed some issues for sure...

still seems like it runs the best on 12Khz but all the same it is as good as the GMP and on mineral and I can venture to say it is better...

I may aslo add on this 3.2 version you can crank up the reactivity to 3 easily and retain intelligence and not loose depth but also gain SEPARATION over the GMP unit...believe it or not you can get it faster on the 3.2 .. the 2.0 was its best on 2 reactivity like the unit...this unit can be faster in rion hard to believe I know...

depth on either is equal...

yes the DEUS is a powerful machine for low voltage.. Very powerful as are all versions....

Should you sell the GMP to buy a DEUS 3.2? time will tell..but if mineral is a problem and want the world class unmasker I can now lean towards the DEUS 3.2 just becasue of this...If you have good dirt then its not as much an issue...yet the reactivity can now be set higher.considerations to be made for sure...

why is no one talking of the mineral see through enhancement...?

The DEUS has really upped the ante with a software upgrade...crazy I know..but encouraging also..

Keith
August 01, 2014 09:39AM
That 11 inch coil is something special. It is deeper than the stock coil and seperates very well. The Deus fast program is my favorite program to hunt in. I have one program which is Deus fast with everything below an Indian set as a low tone. That baby will pick silver out of the junk very well.
August 01, 2014 11:38AM
Keith.......... It is so difficult to have a 'all variables removed' area for the general public to 'gauge' better performance in bad dirt...... from one unit to another....... for head-to-head comparison. (A test-garden is a spectacular start!). Most folks do not go this 'technical'...... nor do they have the time. Only our forum members may have this knowledge/interest. Yes...... this kind of knowledge is what substantially enhances our performance, and 'efficientizes' this short life that we have to live on planet Earth. (Critical; yet, not obvious).
August 01, 2014 03:08PM
Keith, I agree with you on all points. I've had my Deus for 4 months now. Not been talking very much about its performance because I want to be 100% sure of what I post. But, I'll say this, I've taken the Deus to sites where I've hunted with many different machines and the finds are unreal to say the least. On one day I found 2 silver dimes and 5 wheat pennies and all within a 15' radius around an old tree. I'll also add this too, the year before I completely combed this same area with two of the best detectors (from 2 different companies) and only found one silver quarter at about 4" deep. All these coins were in the 4-5" range that is well within the range of most mid to high end detectors on the market today. After finding a couple of these coins I finally realized there was something very different happening with this machine. That day I wish I had brought another machine just to see if the target was even detectable. But I've very happy with what I see so far.
August 01, 2014 03:09PM
Keith,
I am surprised that you find no depth loss at reactivity 3 here in the UK we find with each increase in reactivity a reduction of depth occurs.

Goodmoore,
Yes the 11 inch coil is deeper but not by much at all maybe 1/2 inch more on the small low conductor coins we look for in the UK, i still prefer the 9 inch coil it is such a joy to use for me the Deus is much more ''alive'' with this coil.
August 01, 2014 04:22PM
Sanjuro..

latest Version 3.2 on reactivity 3 had better in ground depth compared to 2...not airtest depth...

If you have mineral run the 3 -4 reactivity and when you get a deepr fainter GOOD hit drop back on the reactivity to 1-2 which is airtesting deeper and watch your tone go from good to bad....

the reactivity seems to be the see through culprit....

I should say better inground depth...Add nails and bad dirt and the 3.2 is a clear winner in unmasking in this scenario also..

The CTX in bad dirt and nails is the next best it seems....till the 3.2 the CTX was the winner...

Aagin not sure whta they have done by jsut sodtware updates but a 21st century advancement all the same...

Tom

thank's for your reply..

again its so obvious on the mineral see through that it actually caught me off guard...I was looking for something else to notice and the Mienral see though kept grabbing my attention...Its not noticable on reactivity 2 but is on 3 and up... also the silencer needs to be off (-1)

XP is building a premier bad ground machine and premier unmasker in one unit...

The 3.2 addressed some issue's for sure.

Mark never stay quite if you have info...As Tom says any advantage in our time limited lives is a must..

Thanks for the info on the 11" goodmore...
sounds interesting..Do you think the 11" is much deeper or just covering more dirt....I would like to see them build a 4x6 DD for tight work...

Keith
August 01, 2014 05:02PM
Keith or anyone....else so you still think this detector is more for relic hunting more than coin hunting. I am ready to get another e trac for coins but considering the deus. I have mostly read where people think it is more of a relic machine than for COINS.. any input appreciated...thanks
August 01, 2014 05:58PM
I assume you mean OLDer 20th century coins in parks and manicured lawns....

for cherry picking old 20th century coins the CTX would be the best...

for digging OLDER coins in sites that allow more digging then DEUS would be the ticket...

Its still suffer's form erronous I.D. at depth..

but at the same time it can see targets other machines cant in certain littered sites...Ancient sites...

If money allows get a CTX and a DEUS and give it a year to play out in your result's..

If you just hunt parks and are limited to the amount of holes you can dig then the CTX/FBS would be NEEDED...

I can say the I.D. on the 3.2 is better than the 2.0 esepcially in mineral...

Im not really a coins hunter in the sense of hunting 20th century silver...but if your after 19th 18th century coins in old sites then get a DEUS..the low freqs really nail Silver at depth also but may not I.D visually like you want at 10-11 inches...

Keith
August 01, 2014 08:03PM
Keith hit it right on the head. If you are able to get away with some digging the Deus is the machine to use. It will find you coins and relics. At the 18 kHz frequency tiny objects or "relics" become much more alive in the ground. The lower frequencies will find the coins very well. The only issue is the target ID numbers at depth. I always use the statement that the Deus can't say no to round metal. Rusty washers, bolt heads or any other piece of iron. As long as it is round the Deus will love it. Especially the top two frequncies. You can change frequencies on these type targets and the 4 kHz frequncy does help ID iron. But this can be time consuming and If I'm not in a nice yard I like to dig the target anyways. I have never been a person to actually compare finds with a tape measure. I know that the 11 inch coil is something special. I hunted an iron infested site with the stock coil and then with the 11 inch coil a few weeks later. The reactivity was incredible with the 11 inch coil. I found two wheats that I missed with the 11 inch coil. I say missed because I believe the stock coil would have found them as well. But what really surprised me was the seperation that the 11 inch coil got in the iron. It was always do you want coverage and depth or do you want seperation. With the 11 inch coil it isn't a choice. You can have it all. As far as depth I can tell you that I hunted in some tall grass with the 11 inch coil and I was hitting some targets that I would never have expected to hit with the stock coil. I had the Deus before and I have a pretty good guess on it's limitations with the stock coil. Personally I believe in the dirt around here I get more than 1/2 inch better depth. I would add another inch to that. Like I said I'm not one to go out with a ruler. And I know at this forum Tom likes his data. But I know good setups when I have one in my hand. The Deus with the software update and 11 inch coil is a big time winner. I was debating about getting another Deus. I am very glad I did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2014 09:30PM by goodmore.
August 02, 2014 04:30PM
Thanks for sharing your recent Deus V3.2 experiences Keith, It's a hot upgrade for sure use the same setup with mine.

Take it you're using the 9" coil, For your type of hunting this coil is perfect no need to get the larger coil unless you want coverage and a tad more depth. In all honestly, I feel if XP does come out with a 5"X10" elliptical or something near that size I truly feel the 9" coil will be the better coil even when needing an elliptical for tighter types of hunting. The 9" coil is that good, Having both the 9" and 11" coil when it comes down to the wire of hitting an old site laced with iron the 11" coil comes off.

Having both the GMP and Deus, Both are extremely good machines and work best with stock 9" coils for areas laced with iron. You're settings sound like what I am using to peek through iron with the exception sometimes will run disc at 5 giving it an edge, Most iron will still be eliminated at disc 5. But, When getting tried/fatigue and don't feel like watching the horseshoe continuously then will bump up disc to 6.5 to eliminate the remainder of iron signals most of them that is.

Got the 11" coil if you'd like to borrow it, Great coil super separation for it's size but the 9" coil does have an edge.

Paul (Ca)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2014 04:49PM by Old California.
Reactivity and Silencer demo Video
August 02, 2014 07:22PM
Heres a quick video I did to show the effects of the silencer and the reactivity on the FRINGEST of target's..

But remember if you can get the setting's to your advanatge in iron you will unlock more targets..

This video is for demonstrative purposes to show how minute you can go...

You may never hunt this aggresive but it lets you see what can happen...use info to your advanatge in hunting situations when they develop..

[www.youtube.com]

Keith
Re: DEUS 3.2 (Video added 8/2/14)
August 02, 2014 08:07PM
Nice video here are a few questions...what is the best disc to set at for relic hunting and will that block out big iron like horse shoes and axes and maybe guns and tools from back in the day...What to they read the larger iron. Next question is what targets ids to you not dig. That would be nails and such where do they come in as a VDI. When you hit a deep target out of the machines rang does it ID as iron as a lot of other machines do....

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 02, 2014 10:02PM
QUESTION
Nice video here are a few questions...what is the best disc to set at for relic hunting and will that block out big iron like horse shoes and axes and maybe guns and tools from back in the day
ANSWER
Lawrenzo I set the disc to just Knock nail to low tone....in most older ancient sites that will be around 3.6 to maybe 4.1 or so....

I just use 2 tone and set the disc to break the tone from low to high..I also choose to set the low tone to the lowest tone hz wise which is a real bassy 100HZ
then I set the high tone to 900 HZ real high pitch....this makes it easier for me to distinguish at depth the modulation..

The larger than nail iron will start to high tone and can read anywhere like horsehoes and gun parts etc...but you can tell that its larger iron and not be tricked thinking your diging a non ferrous item that turns out to be a piece or iron...it has signatures like your AT-GOLD...

QUESTION
Next question is what targets ids to you not dig. That would be nails and such where do they come in as a VDI. When you hit a deep target out of the machines rang does it ID as iron as a lot of other machines do....

ANSWER

If your working dense iron with minimal nail disc dont worry much about the I.D. go by the tone...alot of really really tight intermingled targets will read barely above the disc setting till out of the dirt and isolated...say your disc is at 3.8 but your getting a high tone and the I.D. is showing 4 dont worry if it sounds sweet dig it....Out of the ground and isolated form the iron it may read 50 60 whatever ..

that's one of the unique things of the machines system...small intermingled targets will read right above the disc setting if you watch the meter and the iron tone and high tone will be seperatealternating low high...but larger iron can read well above the disc setting but also audibly sound like sort of a blended combined tone...

A machine like the G2 or even the AT-GOLD both that you ask about does not have that sort of resolution....how many target do you dig on a G2 that read right above your disc setting of 32 or same on the AT right above 33.. very little....why the machine cant report those the resolution is not there for such...the DEUS has the expanded resolution to pick up the slightest hint of signal above the disc setting on a razors edge...you will notice that below 10 on the DEUS the range is in tenths..so you can fine tune..thats where you can set it to 3.0*3.1*3.2*3.3*3.4*3.5*3.6*3.7*3.8*3.9*4.0 instead of 3 or 4...this range goes form 2.0 to 10 in increments of tenths..between 1 and 2 is wholenumbers 2 starts the finetune ability...So you have 80 points of resolution in the iron range....nails will read low 3 or so...so you have 70 more points of resolution to fine tune larger iron....on the pother two you asked about the G2 and AT they like top put the nails at about 33 so you only have 7 points of resolution above the setting ...if you think about you can see where the resolution can come into play for finetuning larger iron...not sure why FT and Garrett choose to put the nails so high up when not many people want to dig below a nail reading...[SIDE NOTE](the first GB S.E. disc'd a nail at 17)...

And yes the machine can read a deep target as iron like any other machine...But like I mentioned earlier set the tone spans far apart and also on this Version 3.2 dont be afraid to use the 3 reactivity in bad dirt..it may cost you in airtest depth or good dirt but in bad dirt it will cause a SEEN signal to go low tone if its set to 1 or 2 reactivity....so while the higher the reactivity the less Air test depth what we need is useable depth in bad dirt...Id rather I.D. a SEEN target to the machien as proper more than wrong if you have limited time to dig...

While im on airtest depth the DEUS will airtest extremely well..it may not look like much but its very hot on most coin sized objects..minnie balls about 17 or so inches is norm.... and with proper use of ground bal offset it can achive quite deep depths...but remember if you tune the gorund bal out of the proper range hotrocks and falsing can be an issue but alse are pretty easy to tell from legitimate hits....

you cant really mess the machine up but you can deflate perfromance till you get a grasp of what each setting does ..but tis straight forward really...

For awhile till you get used to it leave the ground bal on 90...

By the way buy one before the end of the month and no matter what deal you get just copy your receipt and mail it along with a downloadable form frpom XP and you can get 100.00 bonus bucks from XP to use on accesories...I jsut found out about it so Im researching what i may want to put it towards...

I use to have slight reservations about the DEUS on Version 2.0 Vs the GMP..... But Version 3.2 has really got my attention as of late.It MAY finally be a multi machine replacer now that it handles bad dirt so well...

Keith
August 02, 2014 10:16PM
Thanks Keith it's always nice to see you excited about a machine and of course it seems the platform of this machine is one that they can improve without having to always buy a new machine. I did see on one forum this guy likes to use four tones there seems to be a lot of different programs to try if you have a test garden. I see some of the guys using the silencer at -1 and it seems to do well as far as depth goes
but it seems that is for cleaner ground. And reactivity is set to 3 with this hunter with four tones. Would love to see you have some planted targets in the ground and find a setting that works for iron infested sights and then clean sights....I'm on the fence about getting one for my hunt on the east coast this winter...Keep the tests coming and thanks for all of your labor of love on testing..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

August 02, 2014 10:50PM
Hey Lawrenzo...

Thank's for the feedback.

Yes as simple as a download you can have an updated unit...

I may also add that the 3.2 update took care of alot of sporadic noise from the machine...the 3.2 is also runnig with that high gain sizzle without emi issues...

One unique thing is you can actually go back to an earlier version and run it and compare to the newer version if theres something grating on your mind about how it used to run..

Nothing wrong wioht the units you have for sure....but also if you want a better unmasker in a lighter package to boot with depth thaty can be deeper audibly than both units you have now then a new DEUS can fill the bill..

But again nothing wrong with what you have...

All amchine leave things in the ground but the DEUS leaves very little in the iron ....

Im also convinced if a gold coin is in my future that an XP machine has the best chance of getting one out of the iron compared to anything on the market..

others can get them too like what you have but for the best chance of not overlooking it it truly fell that the XP GMP or DEUS will be the one to offer the best odd's..

Keith
August 02, 2014 11:01PM
Hey Paul Generous offer....

Im sure I can run the 11 inch sometime...

Its not high on my list of coils to own...

but I would enjoy a small coil for tight work in the sense that alot of the areas I hunt are overgrown with trees and vines and such..and even on a fresh site with larger than nail iron I would like to meander around the larger iron with less chance of masking for a first hunt.....

But all in all from the begining the 9 inch has been the coil to beat..its amazign is it not how it separates...its as good as a 5 inch on a FT in my opinion..But as deep as a 9-10-11 inch coil on other machines...

Ive ran the GMP wiht the 5x10...its O.K. but liked the 9 better...but I think a small 4x6 or maybe 5 might help in some of my spots for the simple fact of it can fit in tight spaces and if built right retain depth...the 5x10 had no depth...but saw unbelieveably small targets...

We may see a small coil with the prospecting mode now on the DEUS..I have used it a little man that is a sensitve true all metal mode...
not alot of depth but way sensitive....

Again thanks for the offer...
very kind..

Keith
August 03, 2014 04:22PM
I want a 4.5x7" DD EQ Excellerator coil for my Deus!

P.S. - for my CTX too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2014 04:41PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
August 03, 2014 08:52PM
This guy has assigned a different tone freq for each tone..have you tired that and then my next question is about disc. On some of the videos I have seen hunters say use four tones and a disc of say five. What disc do you use. The person on the video is using 27 to start.

[www.xpmetaldetectorsamericas.com]

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

August 03, 2014 11:25PM
You can set the Deus almost anyway you want. One of the basic programs has a disc of 10. That pretty much eliminates all iron. If you are after gold rings and other low conductors I would not go higher than 10 in disc. Plus a higher disc setting will kill your depth.

Your disc setting is tied to your first tone. If you have a disc setting of 10 then 0 through 10 will be one tone setting. The breakpoint for the next tone will be 10.

I like to keep it simple on the ears. Personally I don't like more than three tones. I am mostly a coin hunter so I do have a program for nickels. I have a 5 tone progam with the same high tone for nickels as I do for the other coins. So I have a 5 tone program with only three tones. Because two tones are the same frequency twice.

My disc is low.
disc to nickel is medium
nickel range is high
end of nickel range to indian is the same medium
indian to silver is same high as nickel

If I am just out for coins then I have another program where the two mediums are set to the same low as my disc. So now I have a 5 tone break system with only two different tones. The coins sure light up in this program.

Make them the same. Make it 5 different tones. Keep it simple. It is all up to you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2014 11:27PM by goodmore.
August 03, 2014 11:27PM
Yes lawrenzo that was what I was saying earlier I assign the low tone 100Hz and the high tone 900Hz when using 2 tone..

I use 2 tone the most since im digging it all but nails...You can assign your tone HZ to each tone choices...very nice for heairng problems ..

I use nail disc only Low tone high tone break for the site im on it can vary from the low 3s to the upper 6s..

Keith
August 04, 2014 02:10AM
So far Keith you are right on from what I have watched on videos I also learned to use silencer at -1 and Iron Vol at 0 so far that is what I have learned from the internet a lot of the stuff is from accorss the pond

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

August 04, 2014 03:47AM
Hey lawrenzo the silencer on -1 is the best at unmasking and also at giving the best in ground depth for whatever reactivity setting you may using..

there is some pretty cutting edge things going on inside the DEUS V3.2

I like iron volume about 2 or 3 just so I can hear it all...even the iron..

Keith
August 04, 2014 08:18PM
keith with the deus put nail on ground and pin point the nail mine seems to pickup nails with the outside edge of coil not the middle.is that normal ?
August 04, 2014 10:54PM
Keith, I was VERY impressed with my last Deus (3.2)!!!!! I only sold it because I got aggravated at having a top tier unit with nowhere to use it. (Everyone that I asked permission said "No!") And,.....so......like the immature person that I am, I decided to sell it. I even have a page (or half a page) in Andy Sabisch's book about the Deus. It just seems like the bottom is falling out of my hobbies. Thank goodness that squirrel season opens in 4 weeks. At least I'll have SOMETHING to look forward to.
Anyway, Keith.....GREAT VIDEO and great post!!!! I really think that an XP Deus, properly ground balanced, has been the best and deepest (in MY soil) than pert near any unit I have owned. That is just my opinion and not a very 'learned' opinion at that.
Anything that I HAVE learned about detecting and detectors is from (1) Hands on use and (2) this Forum.
August 05, 2014 01:44AM
Art

yes thats the way a detector sees a nail..

swing it in the direction the nail is lying and you will hear a dead spot in the middle while in pinpoint..and it will seem to be hearing it only on the edges of the coil..

swing it 90 degress from lengthwise in pinpoint and it will pinpoint fine...

same thing happens in disc mode on a nail.. swing it lengthwise and you will hear a double beep..reading the ends of it.BEEP-------------------------BEEP.
Swing it 90 degrees in disc mode and the tone will be one in the middle..

yours is fine...

if it did not do it there might be a problem..

Keith
August 05, 2014 06:54PM
Hey Kevin...

man that stinks you could not get permisison..

but theres alway's that next door...

one good thing about the XP's is running the machne in a power bal mode and the depth is astronomical in the dirt...

one thing I have been palying with also on the DEUS is the Ground Notch.. very unique...not sure I need it as i can usually tell a ground false but it can remove the ground bal number in a fashion that casues the falsing issue of say a hotrock...Does not seem to efefct the I.D. in ayway so far or even create a missed target...

Keith
August 07, 2014 03:43AM
The only down side to the Deus is the fact that ID numbers are about worthless past 3" in modern sites. I get sick of digging 4" plus old style pull tabs that ring in anywhere from 70 -90 . It will hit some good old masked coins that other top end machines have passed over but you wont have a clue what you are digging until it hits the light of day most times in modern trashy sites and you better plan on digging a lot of holes . At older relic type sites it is awesome in more ways than one though . It just is not a cherry pickers machine in any way shape or form but the lightness is wonderful next to my CTX 3030 .