Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Old site

Posted by coinhunter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Old site
March 13, 2010 05:39PM
Found a small area nearby my home that looked old. Had a man made cement pond that looked pretty old. So I took out my CZ-3D. First coin 6+" down was a large cent. Can't read the back at all. The front I can see the words Liberty in the hair. I believe it to be a Matron head dating from 1816-1839. Second hit was a 1940 Mercury dime, 6" deep. Then found a 1906 Indian head penny, I think it was 4" down? Also found four Wheaties, all in the 6" deep range.

So, I think I'll be hiting this place for a while. Not too big of an area. Hope it yields more goodies!

Pretty good for a CZ! It lives up to it's reputaion as a deep seeking machine in old places.
Re: Old site
March 13, 2010 11:49PM
Coinhunter,
Sounds like you have done pretty good so far and good luck on subsequent trips. Love them CZ's. I've had every one from CX6 on up, except CZ70. I have a CZ3D and a CZ20 plus a few other incidental detectors just to keep my wife nagging about all the money I spend.

Down here in Tampa Bay area the Condos, parking lots and shopping malls have taken over and finding silver requires a trip out of the area. We have had some glorious moments before all the construction but they are but fond memories. Unfortunately we have to resort to 34 miles of tourist infested beaches, but all you find is those pesty gold rings!!!

Good hunting
Wally
March 14, 2010 02:16AM
I hunted hard last year with the CZ. Only found two silvers and a 1865 2 cent. I really needed these recent finds to boost my confidence. As this is my second year with a CZ.

This unit is a keeper for sure!

I wanted to add this. The meter ID icon "ZN" between nickel and dollar. I will get repeateable tones and dig the targets, but never any coin. Any tips for me when I get this ID?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 02:21AM by coinhunter.
March 14, 2010 03:01PM
Hmmmmmm. Is the unit Ground Balanced in a clean patch of dirt?
March 14, 2010 07:26PM
Hi Tom,

As far as I know it is GB'd in clean soil. But next time I go out, I will make sure that is is.

I remeber I did dig a newer penny the other day that ID "ZN". Just that It seems I get more "junk" in ZN. Though, "ZN" doesn't come up ALL the time.
March 15, 2010 01:16AM
Hmmmmm....... okay. I was under the impression that your unit was 'falsing' on "zinc" all of the time......with no target under the coil. The "Zinc" window/category is critical....and needs to function properly.
March 15, 2010 01:21AM
I went out agian today...GB'ed the best I could. Got "ZN" and had a round object that looked like a soda can bottom...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2010 01:22AM by coinhunter.
March 15, 2010 01:35AM
That sounds somewhat normal. Were you receiving MANY 'zinc' false hits?
March 15, 2010 01:42AM
Hard to say Tom. I don't get that signal allot. I'll keep an eye on it...

Will ZN allways be a zinc penny if it is a coin? You advise to allways dig this signal? Is it Ok to have trash ID as ZN?

Thanks agian Tom for your time to answer.

Went back to this old site agian tonight, it was raining hard. Doned my slicker and Ziplock for the CZ. Went out at bout 5PM. No good repeatable signals at all. Lots of beeps, nothing repeatable. Am I in the the right to only dig repeatable signals, four way? That's what I am listening for.

Also, across the street from this small park is an old house. Gotta be old. There is a fence around it. I don't think anyone is living there. There are lights inside an out side, I belive these to be on a timer. On the fence there is a sign that reads "For Sale". I'll be watching to see if they ever tear the house down.

And next to this hose is a Pumping station. I pulled a Wheatie out of the ground tonight, my only good target.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2010 02:34AM by coinhunter.
March 15, 2010 02:44AM
Coinhunter I'll answer this. No to first question and yes to the second.

Hopefully I'm understanding you right. Unfortunately there are many non ferrous items that can register under ZN. What does this mean? It means the non ferrous item has the same conductivity as the coin that we want it to be and registers under ZN. For example, some aluminum screw caps will id as ZN. It's normal.

Air test a variety of metal targets. Get you some paint stir sticks from a hardware store. Put several together and drill a hole in the end. Then use string and tie them together loosely. Tape or glue coins, screw caps, bottle caps, pull tabs, etc.. on them and see how they read.

I'm patiently waiting for the Super Duper Metal Detector that can differentiate between metals. Gold & Silver all the way. Or a screen that just shows what's done there. Then the dirt will be flying..

Hope this helped.
March 16, 2010 12:40AM
Thanks Dirt Dawg!

The 'Zn' readings can be silver 3-cent Trimes, silver half-dimes, early wheats, Indian Head's, U.S. $5.00 Half-Eagle gold coins.......and plenty of other targets. Not every high tone will be a coin. No such detector.
March 16, 2010 09:38PM
Hmmmmm...not very high tone a coin...OK. Repetable, 4 way tones is what I am to hear iregardless of high or low. As long as it is repeatable, not broken and get that 4 way tone(like an X). Just wanna know what I am to listen for. I have it in my head that it has to be repetable and 4 way(X)...and be good target on the ID.

Last year I did get a very low signal, repeatable, 4 way, ID $. It was a Merc, a good 6" down. Extreemly tarnished.

I hear lots of signals with the CZ. I'll get a broken tone than a good beep, but than can never get the beep to be 4 ways? Should I pinpoint the signal, dig it, then see if I get another good signal in this situation?

Maybe I should pick all the trash in a certin area size, say 6'x6'. Go back and see what I get?
March 17, 2010 12:15AM
It's a required learning curve......to come up to speed......and become really good with ONE detector (and it's assoc language). The initial 'cutting-teeth' is laborious/difficult......but....is well worth it.
March 20, 2010 11:51PM
Just an update: been back to this site about 4X's, nothing...you think I got all the good old coins here?
March 21, 2010 01:42AM
You have max'd out the technology you are using (CZ-3D).
March 21, 2010 02:03AM
I'll chime in with a No. Maybe 15% but just a guess. Could be way less if a lot of metal trash in the ground at site which is common. Remember MASKING. Your current finds could be 5% or less of the goodies there. Remember the site is real old so it could really pay off with some work.

Recommend staking off 10' X 10' area. Put center where you found the large cent. Ignore the rest of the grounds and pretend the staked area is all you have to hunt. Dig everything EVERTHING out. Take a gold machine if you have one. Make a big mess like a Dawg would! I learned this long ago when I was a newbie. 99.9% of detectorist don't have the patience. They have too much ground to cover usually and looking ahead and not what's below them that they are passing up. One baby rusty nail could be masking a huge find! Sloooowwwww down.

Get a good size speaker magnet if you don't have a killer rare earth magnet that I read Tom uses. The goodies are there. Quaranteed!!

Happy Hunting!
March 23, 2010 10:27AM
Coinhunter as you get more familiar with the CZ try digging some of the 2-way only hits. Coins near iron many times do not give the good 4-way signals! In one of Tom's articles I believe he explains how to tell the difference between an iron false and a partially masked coin.

Tom Z
March 23, 2010 06:06PM
Thanks dirt dawg for that. That's a NEW approach to me this process you describe. Sounds like the way to go in places like this. It will be interesting to see what's above the good old coins there. I have heard of "masking" and it's probably what I am geting here. I'll try diging more signals, see what targets I get? I am gonna hit it with a XLT and a DFX as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2010 06:11PM by coinhunter.
dgc
March 24, 2010 01:38AM
Jackpine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In one of Tom's articles I believe he
> explains how to tell the difference between an
> iron false and a partially masked coin.
>
> Tom Z

Tom Z,

Could you point me to that article? Thanks in advance.
March 26, 2010 11:33PM
Went accross the street today of this old site that I have been hitting. There is a house there and it is very old, and I guess it's occupiedsad smiley I found out today.

Took my DFX there and with in 30 seconds, first target, 4" down a large cent. Date unreadable but it's Matron Head type. Owner showed up and wanted to know what I was doing. So I put on my charm...got to detect 1/2 hour more! Found two clad pennies, old spoon and couple of pieces of junk.

This property I am sure has never been hunted. There is a For Sale sign on the fence. This house is so rundown on the outside, I can't imagine what it looks like on the inside. I can't believe someone is living there.

Anyways, next opertunity I get to dig there is when the owner dies, and they bring in the bulldozer. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2010 12:16AM by coinhunter.
March 27, 2010 12:00PM
I've been 'stunned' before by mis-thinking a home-site was abandoned.
April 01, 2010 08:40PM
Went back the other day with the DFX and found one wheatie.
April 03, 2010 02:15PM
We often assume a place is fair game for detecting because it either looks like it is uninhabited or IS in fact not occupied.

Nothing is further from the truth. Property, by its nature, is owned by someone.
If that someone is not YOU, then you must be prepared to meet whomever that is.

Good reading here.
April 03, 2010 10:59PM
i'm in complete agreement with that statement!

as "fredrich march" exclaimed to "paul newman" in the movie "hombre"
"it's a shock to grow old!..mr russell!"..or put in another perspective,'"if i draw breath tomorrow morning when i awaken,does this mean i am still alive?

(h.h!)
j.t.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2010 11:03PM by jmaryt.
April 03, 2010 11:53PM
Yeah I took a chance here, and I am up one 1800 large cent for may actions. And many here have found my experiences interesting. I am so glad you have enjoyed this post.

It's good to share with others your finds. This site can be at times...a bit tecnical.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2010 12:23PM by coinhunter.
April 04, 2010 12:01AM
i think i can speak for most of us here!..your comments and finds are eagerly read
and enjoyed!..i have been at this over thirty years,and i used to read a publication named "treasurefound" back in the 80's..i LOVED that mag!..it was all about interesting items FOUND!.it was published bi-monthly i believe,and i truly miss it very much!..no!..your comments and items found are of great interest to me and many others!..thanks for taking the time to talk about them!

regards!
(h.h!)
j.t.
April 04, 2010 02:12AM
One of the things I like about detecting is the technical stuff, like Tom, Im an engineering technical type.

But this hobby really is about what we recover, isnt it? The wheres and hows and even whys.

Ive been a fan of Tom D. for a long time. And Im glad his site has many sorts of detectorists. This should be a great ride.

Good to see some familiar "faces," too, like J.T.!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2010 02:13AM by dahut.
April 04, 2010 04:01AM
i'll be a customer for tom's dvd when it arrives!..i have his first effort,and it is a terrific "learning" tool!.the technical aspect of detecting,working in tandem with
a lot of field experience is a fascinating study,and a one-two punch that is difficult to beat!

(h.h!)
j.t.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2010 04:08AM by jmaryt.
April 04, 2010 01:07PM
Thanks guys. The intent of the next DVD (beach hunting with many aspects) is to be much more technical per most folks requests; yet, more straight-forward. This is a difficult challenge....and places an extra load on the video production crew.....so it takes a little bit longer. The video will present more run-time than the current 92 minute DVD.......as we see most folks are accepting/wanting a unedited 5-hour version DVD of a recent seminar/presentation. Noted!