Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

V3I Single frequency Mixed Mode

Posted by OldandBold 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
V3I Single frequency Mixed Mode
November 10, 2014 03:42PM
How many have tried to tweek a program for jewelry only using Stereo Mixed mode and 22khz single frequency ?

Using 22 khz only will keep the sens towards the jewelry at top levels and with lower gain and sens settings it will also reduce depth to deeper interfering trash and unwanted higher conductors. But with the MM you will be reminded of their existence in one ear and can hear the short response from a wanted deep target..

With a small coil and with a high tone selected for the ID s from -2 to + 8 you will find what others dont even know they are passing. The all metal channel is good for sizing signals to and with some personal tweeking it may be what you are looking for.

The beauty is to have SMM and the ability to address tones to the VDI ranges you want to dig so you get a reminder. Using Polar Plot is also very helpful when you look for rings and jewelry with some mass, they tend to make really good plots vs aluminium and foil.

Just to make a discussion going on the SMM as it is discussed to little on most forums. Disc and depth from disc channel is nearly maxed out and most newer/deeper detectors suffer from overpowering to get more depth.
Re: V3I Single frequency Mixed Mode
November 10, 2014 07:35PM
I gave white's Mixed mode a shot, with a Nautillus in my history I thought I'd like it but it just doesn't appeal to me like. Maybe it requires more time, and I can see it being useful for squeaking out a hair more depth but I personally didn't click with it, kind of hard to explain but it just was more of a nuisance than the old tyndall machines. If it works for you, by all means take advantage of it. Love the flexibility these machines have! The adjustable tones is a great feature more machines should have..Been finding alot of rings/ear rings lately with the 3 freq mode. I feel shallow jewelry hunting is actually where it shines. When I'm hunting for relics and deep coins I use single 2.5 or 7.5, but am gravitating towards single 7.5 for all around use.

I have heard the high band may pick thru trash just a bit better. I honestly have never used single high band yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2014 07:37PM by deadlift.
November 10, 2014 07:42PM
I had the V3i for over 100 hours and the machine was a joy to use (again, outside of the weight and balance) but I really preferred using two frequencies as the pinpoint option told me so much.
I have to say, I really wish other machines had a multiple frequency pinpoint (with separation for dominant frequency hit, like on the V3i.) That feature is just so beneficial, fun and time saving.
Imagine an E-Trac/CTX with that, especially the latter with that color!

I will say that by testing targets, for sure the 22khz worked better in iron than the multi frequency mode, noticeably so. But I figured I might be missing one 5% of targets or so and the spots I
hit in Germany are not hunted so hard, so I went with multi freq all the time.

Great luck with that fun machine. If I can add, as I don't know how experienced you are with it, I found it almost mandatory (even if the spot was already hunted) to bury a target and tune the machine
to it before hunting. Things like EMI, moisture, etc. really change things. In my moderately iron mineralized ground it made a substantial difference.

Albert
November 10, 2014 08:08PM
Thanks guys, With all the discussion on this forum the last few months about obtaining more depth to find the deeper keepers I just had to bring in the V3I.

It is a forgotten gem on this forum much because most dont use Mixed mode.stereo and use the time to adapt to it. A deeper keeper could be a 22 k pendant at 4 inches or a platinum wedding band with a stone at 2".

Ofcourse the V3I is involing the user in a large amount of adjustments and selections that the user need to be knowledgeable about before he can start using them.

Once you have a clear view of what the adjustments do and know your sites and get the smile on your face using mixed mode, you have trouble adapt to disc only detecting.

Most of you guys remember how we had to size the objects with all metal channel in the old days to find the highly conductive targets among the wider iron targets.

22 high single should be tried and with SMM you have a pinpoint channel in the left ear ( all the time )...
November 13, 2014 01:31PM
Along with the audio, don't forget the adjustable resolution of the signagraph. Change the resolution from the default 7 VDI numbers per bar to 1,2 or 3 VDI numbers per bar to get a better visual of the target. Also, you are only looking at one frequency so the signagraph takes up most of the display allowing you to focus on the signagraph message. Its very nice. The fine resolution tells you a lot. Its probably the best visual representation I've seen. Ramp up, peak, ramp down. The missing bars tell you just as much as the bars that are present.

HH
Mike
November 13, 2014 03:10PM
I got my fourth V recently. Never could get one to handle EMI issues in Anchorage but the new one runs sweet in Reno. I got lucky and banged a 9.5 gram platinum ring with it right off the bat. My first go with mixed mode really went well also. It fits my style of hunting. Looks like I can finally sell my DFX.
November 13, 2014 06:58PM
Mike Hillis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Along with the audio, don't forget the adjustable
> resolution of the signagraph. Change the
> resolution from the default 7 VDI numbers per bar
> to 1,2 or 3 VDI numbers per bar to get a better
> visual of the target. Also, you are only looking
> at one frequency so the signagraph takes up most
> of the display allowing you to focus on the
> signagraph message. Its very nice. The fine
> resolution tells you a lot. Its probably the best
> visual representation I've seen. Ramp up, peak,
> ramp down. The missing bars tell you just as
> much as the bars that are present.
>
> HH
> Mike

The best visual (display) representation of disc reach targets catched, but also the best visual ( sound) attention alarm to "deep" non disc VDI capable targets found.

With " deep " beeing relative to both minerals present and target size/conductivity.
November 13, 2014 07:04PM
Steve Herschbach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I got my fourth V recently. Never could get one to
> handle EMI issues in Anchorage but the new one
> runs sweet in Reno. I got lucky and banged a 9.5
> gram platinum ring with it right off the bat. My
> first go with mixed mode really went well also. It
> fits my style of hunting. Looks like I can finally
> sell my DFX.

That is a good catch even if it was a big one. VDI s tend to be extremely low on Platinum rings even at shallow depths and most detectorists pass them for many reasons.

It is in foil and small aluminium range, did you look at the plot in polar plot before digging. Would be a killer plot i guess compared to a trash target on same VDI
November 14, 2014 01:20AM
I just dig all positive numbers under zinc penny plus quarters. Takes the thinker my out of it. It pretty much read like a piece of can slaw, flaky low VDI reading. Must have been at an angle in the ground.