Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Am I The Only One That Don't Use A Pinpointer?

Posted by jimmyjiver 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Am I The Only One That Don't Use A Pinpointer?
December 30, 2014 02:29AM
Hi,,, I think that I'm probably the only one on here that don't believe in one or use a pinpointer....I'm willing to bet that I can make a recovery as fast or probably in most cases a lot faster than most people too.....I will never use one & I see no reason for one other than maybe hunting clad which I don't really do (quarters only)....I'm a coin hunter mainly and seen other people waste valuable time using them,,I'm usually on my second or third target while they are still playing around with their first target...Can anyone give me the benefits of using one? Am I the only one that feels this way?.... JJ
Re: Am I The Only One That Don't Use A Pinpointer?
December 30, 2014 02:37AM
The main benefit for me is that it helps me avoid scratching or damaging the target with my digger.
December 30, 2014 02:51AM
Not using a pinpointer after always having one stinks. They cut recovery time down significantly. They are really good for small items and nails in your pile and rusty nails in the side of your hole. It is best to remember to sweep the hole/dirt pile with your machine first before going to the pinpointer though.
December 30, 2014 03:15AM
I'd have to beg to differ with you on that one Jimmy me boy!-----You apparently haven't been around a person that's good with a pin pointer. ha ha-----They can speed recovery time WAY up & at the same time reduce the risk of target damage---wouldn't leave home without one.-------This is of course is just my opinion & you know what they say about opinions.
December 30, 2014 03:30AM
Hey to each his own for me it is faster and safer for the target and fun..but if you want to have a race for who is faster then I think that would be a good idea

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
December 30, 2014 03:37AM
Hi,,LoL...I wish Jimmy me boy could find a video I made in the early 80's ....I'm probably on to the next target before most people pull their little weapon out of their holster..LoL.....It's probably way under a minute and I'm walking...JJ
December 30, 2014 03:45AM
JJ

The targets back in the 80's must have been shallow, or you are pulling another April fool's joke on us again...LOL
December 30, 2014 03:47AM
My brother used to hunt without one. He was so tight he used a $20 dollar stud finder LOL. He has since ditched it and got a garrett pointer.
December 30, 2014 03:48AM
If I was clad coin hunting I wouldn't use one either. In Relic hunting we are going for often deeper targets than what coin hunters will dig for. When you're using bigger coils and digging holes past your elbow in the ground, it helps to have a pinpointer to let you know if you are getting close to the target and what way to dig. I've noticed several times, ESPECIALLY with a pulse machine or VLF with a big coil, I will think I'm digging a deep target...and have a ridiculously deep hole and then check it with the pinpointer only to find its a nail in the sidewall only 5 or 6 inches down or that ive just mispinpointed a good target with the bigger coil. That saves a tremendous amount of wasted time in not continuing to dig deeper for a target that is in the sidewall. To each their own I guess. I know it has saved me time and saved on wasted energy for not having to dig a huge hole.
December 30, 2014 03:48AM
I have one but rarely use it. I use an apex pick,and its faster for me to just dig up bunch of dirt,then swing handfuls till I get the target. Now if I was still doing parks, I would use one. Ray
December 30, 2014 04:10AM
Gotta have one. Especially with a PI machine. No pinpoint or depth indicator.

Discrimination is the root of all evil.
December 30, 2014 04:30AM
Must be two of us,I have one, but only use it on very deep targets that try to elude me. My CZ-5 pinpoints great ,without wasting any time then on to the next find.I use the pinpointer one out of fifty digs. HH Tony.
December 30, 2014 04:31AM
Man I think the pinpointer is the best thing since sliced bread. Much easier than probing and waving handful after handful of soil over the coil....lol not that I don't wave handfuls of dirt over the coil now, but it sure makes for easy target finding- especially small items.
December 30, 2014 04:32AM
Hi,,Hombre I don't know why you say shallow in the 80's???? I did make a video back then, the pictures I can find.. I use to take a lot of pictures back then, my wife put the tape somewhere....I will ask her tomorrow and see if she knows where it is and see if it's still good....I was working an old fairgrounds but I can't remember who done the taping...JJ
December 30, 2014 04:36AM
Am I the only one who never uses the pinpoint button? I guess after using a Sovereign with 12" coil for so many years,got good at pinpointing with the coil.
December 30, 2014 08:05AM
jimmyjiver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,,, I think that I'm probably the only one on
> here that don't believe in one or use a
> pinpointer....I'm willing to bet that I can make a
> recovery as fast or probably in most cases a lot
> faster than most people too.....I will never use
> one & I see no reason for one other than maybe
> hunting clad which I don't really do (quarters
> only)....I'm a coin hunter mainly and seen other
> people waste valuable time using them,,I'm usually
> on my second or third target while they are still
> playing around with their first target...Can
> anyone give me the benefits of using one? Am I the
> only one that feels this way?.... JJ

nope! have hunted for over 35 years,and they didn't exist back then,
and still pin point just fine with the detector!..granted,they DO save time,but do ya absolutely
need one?..my answer is no,especially if you are good at pin pointing,and why wouldn't you be if you have been
hunting for over 30 years?..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
December 30, 2014 08:12AM
jimmyjiver Wrote:
> Hi,,LoL...I wish Jimmy me boy could find a video I
> made in the early 80's ....I'm probably on to the
> next target before most people pull their little
> weapon out of their holster..LoL.....It's probably
> way under a minute and I'm walking...JJ

this is "no bullshit" it can be done with experience,
i used to be very quick as well! no pinpointer required!
if the target was deep,it took a little while longer,as it would, because of extra digging.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
December 30, 2014 08:15AM
deathray Wrote:
> I have one but rarely use it. I use an apex
> pick,and its faster for me to just dig up bunch of
> dirt,then swing handfuls till I get the target.
> Now if I was still doing parks, I would use one.
> Ray

this is the way i did it as well!...you are right,it IS better to
be more careful in a park setting for obvious reasons.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
December 30, 2014 08:21AM
deathray Wrote:
> Am I the only one who never uses the pinpoint
> button? I guess after using a Sovereign with 12"
> coil for so many years,got good at pinpointing
> with the coil.

yeah!.if ya got "dandy" at pinpointing in disc..why bother to cross circuit
into pin point?..ya hunt for a long time,and its almost second nature!
pin pointer?..what pin pointer?.what's that?

(h.h.!)
j.t.
December 30, 2014 09:46AM
Hmm. That saying comes to mind....something about an old dog and new tricks. lol.
December 30, 2014 10:16AM
Iknow a person that does not own a cell phone, another that does not have a microwave???????????????Said they do not need either..Guess they have a point...........................

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2014 11:05AM by sonny(IN).
December 30, 2014 11:02AM
Didn't we just do this topic last winter Jimmy!? lol

I have one but rarely use it --

same as a pinpoint "button" on a detector - I rarely use those either...
December 30, 2014 01:19PM
ozzie Wrote:
> Hmm. That saying comes to mind....something about
> an old dog and new tricks. lol.

Aint that the truth! THE absolute best detectorist I know doesnt use a pinpointer...or any new detector,for that matter! His arsenal is a GP Extreme, GMT & a 5900. Dude is amazing to watch...saw him literally find "fly poop" gold with that gmt.
December 30, 2014 03:02PM
I have never owned a pinpointer, never had problems pinpointing and retrieving a coin target below a coil with extreme accuracy.
I can dig a lot of targets pretty fast and be on my way to the next. I can do this reliably when using a detector that has a concentric coil on it
with the ability to de-tune with a pinpoint button to narrow down the coins location. If the target is not straight down upon digging, know its off to the side a bit
and usually a nail or our Canadian clad coin on edge.

After 44 years of detector, do I really need a pinpointer? I am seriously considering it. The machines I use now with a DD coil, finding I am not as accurate.
Where I think the target is, not always is. A bit harder to isolate lets say a .22 bullet in a pile of dirt. A DD coil's edge does help in that situation. My Berkut with the
smaller DD coils I can pinpoint damn good with, still not as quick if using a concentric coil.

Think pinpointers are popular today because of the influx of machines sporting DD coils.
Looking to see what's the best deal for the $$ that isn't a pain to use.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
December 30, 2014 03:24PM
To each his own but if you have a good one definetly a plus for shallow or deep. Have to admit many out there are useless but again a good pinpointer is a plus....
December 30, 2014 04:59PM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:-----
> To each his own but if you have a good one
> definetly a plus for shallow or deep. Have to
> admit many out there are useless but again a good
> pinpointer is a plus....

Good point Dan & something I forgot to mention--many pin pointers are next to useless (operational & quality).----I just remember all too well what it was like in the old days before we ever had them.-----Then we got a few & most of 'em "sucked" (IMO)----but----these latest (very select) few hand held pointers are quite good (again IMO).-----Hey, I'm old & need every advantage I can get!! ha ha--------Jimmy---I was just funnin with ya/pullin ur chain smiling smiley-------My "sayin" is-----ya go thru the journey of life without a laugh now & then--you've missed half the trip!--------You have ALL made some very good points on this subject matter my friends.-----------Del
December 30, 2014 05:09PM
Will be detecting 43yrs. this coming march and have never used one. But then i guess i am old school because i don't have a cell phone either and don't wish to have one.
December 30, 2014 05:20PM
Hi,,,hey Del I took it as a joke.. LoL...I have been with people using them and they seem to waste a lot of time on little bits of metal,nails etc....I mainly now focus on the so called worked out areas, rarely do I find clad and usually pull more Injuns than wheats....The coins seem to grow at the 5 to 8" level with many Injuns hiding behind & below sporadic pockets of intermingled modern trash....There's nothing wrong with using one but with my style of hunting they would be a hindrance to me.....JJ
December 30, 2014 05:28PM
Hi,,,,Mike from Illinois,,,I can go one better, I'm still on dial up,I have no cell phone,microwave etc.....The only thing I would like to change is my Internet connection....I can't get wireless here there's no cable and my only choice is Satellite but I'm not spending $80.00 plus a month for it...JJ
I didnt use one for years
December 30, 2014 08:52PM
Never felt the need. There is really no substitute for accurate pinpointing IMHO. Having said THAT though, I did feel the need to start using one on a regular basis when I bought a GPX. All of a sudden targets were a lot deeper, and some iron tends to pinpoint off center. Using a pinpointer really helped when using that machine.
Before the Garrett pro pointer I never found one I liked anyway. My wife has always used one though, and has from the beginning, but she has horrendous pinpointing skills. smiling smiley