Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Beneath The Mask Pt. 2

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Beneath The Mask Pt. 2
April 09, 2010 06:08PM
I have been hunting at this really old park only 2 miles away now for almost 25yrs. It continues to produce silver and jewelry here and there. For the longest time after reading Toms articles the "Painful Truth" and "Beneath The Mask" I have been inspired to concentrate on one small 5x10 area. I started with a 3inch coil on the 1266x Magnum and removed many pulltabs, and in the process found a 1900 Indian Head. After I get all the non-ferrous stuff out I will then start working in all metal. This park was used for military training during the Civil War because a old military out post still borders it. I keep thinking about what Toms keeps saying about 95 percent of the stuff were looking for is still in the ground, I'm sure he is correct especially regarding this area. I will keep you posted....
Re: Beneath The Mask Pt. 2
April 09, 2010 10:31PM
I have painfully validated this "95% of targets are masked/too-deep" via countless pit-digs. Yes, some pit digs in high volume/target-rich areas............and plenty in minimal target scenario dirt environments.
April 10, 2010 06:20AM
Aaron I'll be curious to see what you find in AM mode. I have a similar small spot that's produced some nice coins in the past, but it's slim pickings now. I think I'll also try AM mode to see if I can unmask some keepers.
April 10, 2010 09:50AM
Yes Brian, I too. Being its in a public park, I'm not going to be able to do the type of excavation Tom did. However, there is are some areas where that just might be possible. For example, I have done extensive research on this park since '87. I had gone to the local historical society and dug up all the old pictures that were ever taken of this park. One of them I found a church group that met on Sundays in a remote part of the park, which now, is over grown with bushes. The folks back then were just sitting on the ground in their suits and dresses! I went in there back in '87 with my old 6000 di and ended finding alot of old silver coins. I'm going to try that again, except the area has gotten even more over grown and more junk. I'm thinking I will just go in there with a couple of trash bags and a rake. I have a feeling theres alot more stuff waiting to be recovered.
I really enjoy your YouTube videos, keep 'um comin!