Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

How much foil do you dig?

Posted by Aaron 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
How much foil do you dig?
April 10, 2010 12:31PM
There are some places where I think where its just not reasonable to dig all the foil signals, like my local high school. One of the reasons being is the concession stand that sells stuff wrapped in foil. Its everywhere. Even when your not digging the foil signals your still digging it anyway because they "ball" it up and drop it on the ground. It gets stepped on and flattened. And then it reads nickel, though I usually know it is as soon as I probe it, but remove it anyway. And then you have the sports drink seals, gum wrappers, ketchup packets ect. that usually read as foil too.
I have this one section next to the football field I have been working on periodically for the past couple of weeks. Its probably about 20x60. I have removed all the coins, and almost all the pulltabs, and a little foil. The foil alone is just incredible, and will take alot of time. I feel it will be worth it though for the education alone, and maybe a gold ring or two.

Thanks to Tom for the inspirational and educational articles and this site which has made myself and others more intelligent hunters.
Re: How much foil do you dig?
April 10, 2010 12:50PM
If you notch the most common foil targets, how much of a range of VDI targets does that block out? I'm thinking 4 or 5, so it may be an acceptable tradeout...
April 10, 2010 01:10PM
Problem is the foil range on CZ's is a might too large and takes in very small foil which can cause a problem in many areas...On the other hand large foil( I call it) contains a high percentage of thin womans gold rings with expensive stones so is a must dig especially if on a sandy beach...Wish the foil area only contained large foil but its the nature of the beast and in some areas just too much darn foil to dig as in low foil your percentages go down..Do remember gold rings can come in any facet but foil indeed is the highest percentage rel gold rings..To dig or not to dig always has been the big question and those that investigate get the goodies...
April 10, 2010 08:54PM
Just FYI.......I do not have the patience to dig 'foil' inland. Yes, I know nearly all engagement rings ID as 'foil'.........but it's quite labor-intense. On the beach.......'foil' it the FIRST and primary target to dig.
April 10, 2010 10:22PM
yes....i am guilty of passing on the sites that are just littered with foil!!! i will dig all foil signals if the site is not extreamly trashy and on the beach/in the water i dig it all! i once found a nice ring with diamonds on a soccer field and in a 1 foot by 1 foot square there were three pieces of foil and the ring ...they all read about 24 on the f75.

i do get tired of digging foil sometimes and start to bypass some foil signals but this is usually a good sign to quit for the day and come back latter.
April 12, 2010 07:08AM
In the turf if I get a nice locking foil signal I dig it, once in a blue moon it's that yellow stuff instead of the crappy silver stuff.

In the surf, I get excited when I get a foil or tab signal smiling smiley
April 13, 2010 12:55AM
True statement.